Thread: STALKER - Reviews

Administrator

England

STALKER - Reviews

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=74255
    http://pc.boomtown.net/en_uk/article...w.php?id=13641
    http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/sta...ml?sid=6167650

General good to very good...

Not getting it myself (at the moment) as my new little one (5 mnth old) is basically in my study at the moment until we get some building work done. So after 7:00pm that room is off limits... So no PC gaming at all!

That'll be the case for probably another two months!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Scotland
    I've noticed the game is showing on some torrent sites.

Just an observation....

Super Moderator

UK
    ...about...to...jizz...all...over...self...

After a long wait, and having had the game on pre-order for over TWO FREAKING YEARS ...

*deep breath*

STALKER IS PROCESSING AND ABOUT TO BE POSTED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*passes out from all the excitement*

So I should have it Friday or Saturday!!! ... and it still looks as if I'm getting the Limited Edition Tin for a mere £18, long story, but it appears as if that's the version I'm getting ... *gasps for air, grabs paper bag to huff into* ... I think I'm gonna have a heart attack when this baby falls onto my doorstep...

I think I'd better go clean up now...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...about...to...jizz...all...over...self...

After a long wait, and having had the game on pre-order for over TWO FREAKING YEARS ...

*deep breath*

STALKER IS PROCESSING AND ABOUT TO BE POSTED TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*passes out from all the excitement*

So I should have it Friday or Saturday!!! ... and it still looks as if I'm getting the Limited Edition Tin for a mere £18, long story, but it appears as if that's the version I'm getting ... *gasps for air, grabs paper bag to huff into* ... I think I'm gonna have a heart attack when this baby falls onto my doorstep...

I think I'd better go clean up now...

I didn't think you liked this game?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I didn't think you liked this game?
    I know, I was quite shocked myself!

*runs off and checks status of order*

Still in the process of processing ... ack ... this is like being desperate for a whizz on a school trip and you're almost back to the hotel until the teacher decides to make a detour to another location!

United States
    *LC grins feverishly knowing a copy of Stalker is sitting on his desk at home, waiting to be played this evening*

I'll give you a review in a few days. I have to immerse myself in it first, then I can pick apart all the flaws.

capncnut
    It only got an 8. Even the dry-arsed Dead Rising got a 9.

Super Moderator

UK
    8/10 is a rocking score, Dead Rising sounds like it's all upfront with no arse end, looks good coming, but leaves a lass sighing on the way out the door!

Mind you, for a score or even a nigel I'm there, bitches!

*rubs hands for STALKER*

I can almost taste the packaging ... taste?! I hear you gawk ... yes, I'm gonna lick it all over when it arrives, then hide away in my room for a few days with it after which it'll need a wash before even approaching my PC.

Administrator

England
    8/10 is a rocking score, Dead Rising sounds like it's all upfront with no arse end, looks good coming, but leaves a lass sighing on the way out the door!

Mind you, for a score or even a nigel I'm there, bitches!

*rubs hands for STALKER*

I can almost taste the packaging ... taste?! I hear you gawk ... yes, I'm gonna lick it all over when it arrives, then hide away in my room for a few days with it after which it'll need a wash before even approaching my PC.
    Some games magazine a guy I know had, gave it 93%...
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    I can almost taste the packaging ... taste?! I hear you gawk ... yes, I'm gonna lick it all over when it arrives...
    Now that's almost scary.

Super Moderator

UK
    See, STALKER is the true videogaming underdog, and people like underdog stories, it's like a dog you rescue from a dog shelter, perhaps a little bit mangey around the edges, but it's a loveable scamp that just wants your love and nothing else...awwww...

Oh, and ... *ahem* ... some momentus news, after more than two years of pre-order status...dun-dun-dun-duuuuuuuuhn!!!!

STALKER HAS BEEN DISPATCHED TO ME AS OF A BIT LESS THAN AN HOUR AGO!!!

Come Friday/Saturday (I presume! ) I'm going to be drained dry, ha!

I've got some work on my plate at the moment though, so I'm gonna see about getting that cranked out as quickly as possible in preparation for the arrival of the one and only STALKER, clear the decks for the weekend like.

Oh man ... spoodge city is coming to Herefordshire!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    after all this i'td be funny as fook if it was ****, or he got like a uwe boll movie sent to him by mistake

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    after all this i'td be funny as fook if it was ****, or he got like a uwe boll movie sent to him by mistake
    You stay the f*ck away from my postman-woman-person, ya hear?!

I've already played the MP Beta Demo and loved it, and that didn't have anything to kill or move around in it, so if I loved that, I'll love the actual game no diggity no doubt. It's winging it's way to me reet now ... *rubs self in atheism juice to get all lubed up and ready to go* ...

See ya!

United States
    Well, I played it a bit last night, and although I only got a chance to play for about 45 minutes. I can't really give an opinion on the game overall, but there are a few points to be made:

1) The graphics to this game are INCREIBLE. Eye candy like a mofo!

2) If you don't have a machine that has a kick-ass video card (I would say a 7900 at LEAST) then you might be in for a world of trouble. Lets put it this way: I have a nVidia 7900GS and certain places (even with the graphics set on medium) brought my video card down to some extremely low FPS. I had to back off some texture detail to get it to run smooth consistently.

The system requirements, according to amazon.com, are:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    Microsoft Windows XP (Service Pack 2)/Microsoft Windows 2000 SP4
    Intel Pentium 4 2 Ghz/AMD XP 2200+
    512 MB RAM
    10 GB available hard drive space
    128 MB DirectX 9c compatible card/ nVIDIA GeForce 5700/ATI Radeon 9600
    DirectX 9 compatible sound card
    LAN/ Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds for multiplayer
    Keyboard
    Mouse.

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6400/AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    1 GB RAM or better
    256 MB DirectX 9c compatible card/ nVIDIA GeForce 7900/ ATI Radeon X1850.
    10 GB available hard drive space
    DirectX 9 compatible sound card
    LAN/ Internet connection with Cable/DSL speeds for multiplayer
    Keyboard
    Mouse.

According to the specs, this can run on a nvidia 5700 card, but after seeing what I saw last night in the game, there is no way in f*ck a card like that could run this game on anything but the graphics all backed down to zero. Seriously. It's that intense graphic-wise.

I'm running the game on the following:

CPU: AMD64 socket 939 FX-60 dual core (overclocked to 2.6ghz by pushing the FSB)
    RAM: 1GB Patriot high-speed RAM (overclocked also.. )
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-32 SLI Deluxe
    Video Card: nVidia 7900GS PCIe (overclocked to 'ludacris speed' )
    240gb of HD storage (7200rpm drives)

and with those specs (which aren't bad, but not top of the line either) there were parts of the game that slowed my machine to a crawl. I think an extra gig of RAM would help, but still not solve all the problems.

So as it stands right now, the eye candy is fantastic, but only 45 minutes in, I can't really comment on the gameplay. I spent more time looking around and messing with some of the AI I didn't really get into the 'meat' of the game. Soon, Daniel-san, soon...

I'll keep ya posted as I play more.

LC
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 21-Mar-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The store sent my copy today. But guess what?

My computer is still in the shop! I BETTER get that machine before Friday or there is going to be hell to pay...