United States

coolest dvd root menu?

lifeforce: for the video that plays during
    omega man : for musically capturing some of the entire films essence

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Difficult....

I do like the one for "Ghostbusters" with the street, spook central, Stay Puft and all that. The original DVD release of "Aliens" was also cool. Kind of like a first person shooter game walking through the halls of LV426.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Sounds good not my cup though

United States
    My favorites are the ones that work well, are easy to read and go by really fast. I think any that dont fit that criteria (ie:most) suck.
    I dont want to spend 5 minutes watching some stupid intro.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    The Once Upon a Time in the West root menu. Especially since Morricones music plays over it.

Super Moderator

UK
    I really hate menus that insist on putting scenes from the film in between menus and sub-menus - JUST TAKE ME TO THE PAGE ALREADY!!!

One DVD menu that REALLY SUCKED though, was that of Shatter Dead ... they take whole scenes and put them between the menus (and BEFORE the menu ever shows up) - completely gheay, and really annoying, and I don't think you can skip the stuff beyond fast forwarding...

Undisclosed
    I swear to Saturn I was gonna post this topic a few days ago. This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I think of a topic and, hey presto, there it is a day or so later.

But anyway, the menu in question that got me thinking of this topic is the one for House by the Cemetery. No other menu comes close. Well, maybe the one for the documentaries disc for Dawn UE box set.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the hellboy directors cut was a praticularly good one, just a load of wierd arcane looking stuff and moving betwen them was a smooth morphing motion, not the click and blink its there a second later like a web page.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    The loops are quite well
    and du*n near seamless for both the titles I mentioned

lifeforce video just flows never gets repititious or
    "hey theres the beginning again"
    the scene of the guards energy transfer revitalizing the alien is the same type of
    look and feel as them 2 or 3 dumb looking zombies that didnt fit in Land Of
    but hey it was what 20 years ago they made it look good you Have to say

With the omega man its the seamless haunting music loop
    and the montage of prepositioned image elements from that film,..heston,..his garrison cap,...caesar.....the sweep continues
    triste your tinfoil hat isnt thick enough to prevent mind reading lol
    Last edited by Bongholio; 27-Mar-2007 at 12:34 AM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I really hate menus that insist on putting scenes from the film in between menus and sub-menus - JUST TAKE ME TO THE PAGE ALREADY!!!
    Damn f**king straight, the whole concept of menus is a pain in the ass to me. You know what I hate the most about waiting for DVD's to come on? Them dirty rotten bollocking trailers... like that poxy anti piracy s**t <spotlight - disco music> absolute crap! And you can't skip 'em. Oh and that load of old poo at the end of the movie where you get every language credit and it's an utter nightmare to skip. Damn, I wanna watch the f**king extras man!

Not menu related but hey!
    Last edited by capncnut; 27-Mar-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Ug, tell me about it...trailers or anti-piracy "you wouldn't steal a car" (er, bit of a difference there, mate ) adverts, that you can't skip. If you can skip, that's not too bad, sometimes it's nice to see some trailers, but the anti-piracy one is still gheay with it's thumping music and 'uncool for trying to look cool' style.

And yes, those warnings in a variety of different lingos that you can't skip - F*CK OFF!!!

I hate all that sh*t, especially the standard "doesn't express our views, please don't sue us!!!" disclaimer - PISS OFF, WE KNOW ALREADY!!! PUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    word man, i am fugchug-didly-ukking sick of those anti piracy things, i think they actaully lower my enjoyment of the movei a little, 'cept the one that was on on a copied dvd i bought, that was just ironic humour

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Sadly the
    "monolithic over-reaching your applicable gov't agency of choice here"
    piracy warnings cannot be skipped.
    Sometimes the same goes for the dolby,or manufactured by company presentations.
    However if you use certain software based decoders trailers can easily be bypassed by going to what is called the ROOT MENU dialog.
    Bind it to a hot key,....lol

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    word man, i am fugchug-didly-ukking sick of those anti piracy things, i think they actaully lower my enjoyment of the movei a little, 'cept the one that was on on a copied dvd i bought, that was just ironic humour
    I think the bootleggers deliberately put that anti-piracy ad on the dvd just so you can skip it for a laugh.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongholio View Post
    Sadly the
    "monolithic over-reaching your applicable gov't agency of choice here"
    piracy warnings cannot be skipped.
    Sometimes the same goes for the dolby,or manufactured by company presentations.
    However if you use certain software based decoders trailers can easily be bypassed by going to what is called the ROOT MENU dialog.
    Bind it to a hot key,....lol
    I have to reauthor DVDs I own to make the subtitles way bigger (no function for that on DVD standalones). While Im at it I shrink the menu into images and remove all the warnings, BS trailers, ads and junk.
    I want to find an easier way to ONLY change the ifo file for the subtitle size, but no one is able to tell me how yet. Anybody know?
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers