View Poll Results: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2020-2029

8 38.10%
  • 2030-2039

0 0%
  • 2040-2049

3 14.29%
  • 2050-2059

1 4.76%
  • 2060 or later

6 28.57%
  • Never, it doesn't exist

3 14.29%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think we'll find something pretty soon. That is....if we haven't already.

United States
    Part of the issue is Life as we know it. On the bottom of the sea there is life that exists in tremendous pressure with little oxygen, no light. Sometimes they are by volcanic fissures and exist with extremely high levels of sulfur. Above ground the same sulfuric conditions. Life as we recognize it is expanding along with the idea of alternate sources of sustenance.
    I think life is probably pretty common is very simple forms. Intelligent lfe is a different story, but crystalline viruses, bacterium and simple 1 cell creatures that exist is atmospheres foreign to us is very likely. To think otherwise is more Xenophobia.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Kazakhstan
    i voted never, but i guess i meant we'll never find intelligent life.

personally i think this is the first planet to spawn life, us, or whatever comes after us, will leave the planet, settle elsewhere, proliferate and begin to evolve seperately to colonies on other planets.

life is the earth's gift to the universe, maaan
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    personally i think this is the first planet to spawn life...
    In the solar system? Surely not the whole universe.

Undisclosed
    i think its a shame we cant show the same fascination for some of the life forms on earth, before we go looking to the stars

capncnut
    Oh I show the same fascination for Earth bound lifeforms, definitely. There's was a freaky six legged insecty type thing on the wall outside my home that had me staring at it for 5 whole minutes the other day. Never seen it's kind before in my life.

Super Moderator

UK
    Go on, I'll be a pescimist (sp?) this time round I'll say 2050-59 ... those Mars caves sound interesting ...

Mind you, it'll probably be bacteria or something, no 'intelligent' life that we can converse with ... and then we'll probably get a plague sweeping the earth after a sample is brought back to earth...

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    In the solar system? Surely not the whole universe.
    yep,i reckon we are the only intelligent life.

if there's life on other planets, its a bit unlikely it popped up on all planets at the same time, so it stands to reason that one planet spawned life before the rest, and i reckon our planet is the one.

it is a bit of a wacky theory, but the evidence is in it's favour...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

capncnut
    if there's life on other planets, its a bit unlikely it popped up on all planets at the same time, so it stands to reason that one planet spawned life before the rest, and i reckon our planet is the one.
    I disagree, to say that we are the original lifeform is incredibly poncy. I think it's been going on for many millions of years, and our solar system is only a blip compared to the universe. Scientists are already spotting earth-like planets in distant systems. You got to think, the nearest system to us is Alpha Centauri and with current technology it would take over 100,000 years to get there! There's no way were alone, that would make us a one in infinity chance of existing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, there's no way we're alone, it's just that "we" are so disparate in the whole universe that it can seem that way ... the human race may be great, but we're a blip on the proverbial radar in the grand scheme of things, ergo ... in my "New Sin Cities is almost on, ergo I'm rushing" thought process ... there must be more of us, if we can pop up, similar things to us, or greater, or lesser, must surely be somewhere!

*gotta run!*

Administrator

England
    yep,i reckon we are the only intelligent life.

it is a bit of a wacky theory, but the evidence is in it's favour...
    What evidence is that? Our extensive planetary survey of the billion stars in our galaxy
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You don't think even some bacteria may exist on Mars, Enceladus or Europa for example?
    Well, scientists seem to be hopeful with the mars situation. However, Europa is a tricky one because they have to build a bot that can drill into the ice, which could go on for miles and miles. Plus you have to have a camera system that wont freeze up in the intense cold, too many problems. Europa may have await a manned mission in the very distant future. We will probably never know about Europa's situation in our lifetime, which is a shame, 'cos where there's water, there's generally...

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What evidence is that? Our extensive planetary survey of the billion stars in our galaxy
    well i did say it was a bit wacky.

but i dont believe in aliens, and we havent found any trace of them

you believe in aliens, and we havent found any trace of them

it's not crazy mad stuff.

goin back to what i saying earlier,if you believe life exists on other planets, then do you also believe that life occurred simultaneously on all planets, or that life occurred on one planet first?

tbh, i think it's more likely that life occurred on one planet first, then the next, then the next etc.
    i just think that the first planet is our planet, and the rest of the universe has yet to catch up.

there's no way to prove it, but then there's no way to disprove it either, as both viewpoints rely on rationalisation rather than evidence.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    How awesome would it be to go visit an unspoiled planet earth!Imagine if quick and easy space travel came along,and there were planets like earth that were treated like our national parks are.Or to land on a planet of humans who were going through the medieval period or someting.It would be interesting,but humans being humans we would mess it up by trying to "help them"

Super Moderator

UK
    but humans being humans we would mess it up by trying to "help them"
    lol, definitely

No doubt a 'new earth' would be corrupted just the same as the current one, but it would be interesting to meander around an earth that's like 1000 years behind us ... would we leave them be and just be casual, touring observers? Or would we bring them our technology and make them skip 1000 years of history and development just so they can catch us up?

No doubt someone would be sorely tempted to bring them screaming into the post-modern era while they're still screaming "burn the witch" at a toaster...