View Poll Results: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2020-2029

8 38.10%
  • 2030-2039

0 0%
  • 2040-2049

3 14.29%
  • 2050-2059

1 4.76%
  • 2060 or later

6 28.57%
  • Never, it doesn't exist

3 14.29%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When will we find life elsewhere in the solar system?

Kazakhstan
    maybe we all are living on petri dish recreation of the earth as it was long ago...

there's a theory that we are living in a computer simulation of the earth created by people in the future with that kinda curiosity

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    Now put those matrix DVD's away young 'un

Super Moderator

UK
    ... but of course, the thing with The Matrix is, conceivably, it could be true...like the films were a kinda of 'leaked message' to us all stuck in some machine kept asleep and dreaming...because, well, you never could honestly really know could you?

Petri dish planet earth? *shudders* ... now that's some spooky shiite...

England
    Imagine that,if to some other race,watching us is like looking at bacteria through a microscope,if our entire galaxy is just on a microscope slide in some giant other world......

I think ive just popped my own head trying to concieve that

Super Moderator

UK
    just on a microscope slide in some giant other world......
    Well if they're watching - fix it so I win the lottery!!

Kazakhstan
    http://www.simulation-argument.com/

here it is, lol, it has it's own dot com now...

thing is, you cant really disprove it...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    http://www.simulation-argument.com/

here it is, lol, it has it's own dot com now...

thing is, you cant really disprove it...
    Have I come into this discussion late? Is this the theory that most likely we are a simulation? ie: Given the future power of computers and therefore the perfect simulations they could generate, and given they would run millions of them, the odds are we are infact one of these simulations rather then real?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Have I come into this discussion late? Is this the theory that most likely we are a simulation? ie: Given the future power of computers and therefore the perfect simulations they could generate, and given they would run millions of them, the odds are we are infact one of these simulations rather then real?
    that's the one

load of rubbish really, but it's interesting to speculate...

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ... but of course, the thing with The Matrix is, conceivably, it could be true...like the films were a kinda of 'leaked message' to us all stuck in some machine kept asleep and dreaming...because, well, you never could honestly really know could you?

Petri dish planet earth? *shudders* ... now that's some spooky shiite...

i dont know what made me more paranoid, the matrix or the truman show, though im pretty paranoid to be begin with.
    as for the humans in a matrix thing, even if it were true how would you know if you were real or just the high tech equivalent of an "npc"?

Super Moderator

UK
    The Truman Show is probably more realistic, what with spy cameras and such ... no "man in the moon" or anything like that, nor a big sky-coloured wall ... but I remember seeing something on TV ages ago about some psycho TV repairman who installed a secret camera inside a woman's VCR that was in her bedroom, it was there for ages and this dude was perving on her via remote.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    load of rubbish really, but it's interesting to speculate...
    Of course, we're programmed with that pre-disposition!

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    i dont know what made me more paranoid, the matrix or the truman show, though im pretty paranoid to be begin with.
    as for the humans in a matrix thing, even if it were true how would you know if you were real or just the high tech equivalent of an "npc"?
    All you guys are the NPCs.. I'm what the simulation obviously revolves around!
    Last edited by Neil; 07-Apr-2007 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Most NPC's die after 10 hits.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ....*tumbleweed*..........