Thread: Outsourcing jobs to India must stop!

United States

Outsourcing jobs to India must stop!

I'm not really bothered by the fact that jobs that could go to Americans are going to people in India because every time I have to call customer service its either someone from India or a black woman with a chip on her shoulder. Personally i'd rather speak to a person from India BUT... they can't damnwell pronounce **** to the extent that they're easy to understand. Recently i've had to call about a wireless broadband router and it took nearly two hours on the phone with a woman who was hard to understand from India. Then I had to call about my Windows product information number to prove that its not some kind of stolen software and again I spoke to someone who speaks English as a second language and had a real hard time understanding them. Its just unpleasant having to dig deep into my computer and typing stuff into it and then typing something wrong because I misheard someone because they're not gosh darn American!!!

Argggggggggggh

If i'm going to pay good money to buy something and need tech support because i'm having a hard time with it then for JC's sake give me an American I want to talk to an American
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Undisclosed
    Oh come on, you know that they're just doing jobs that us lazy Americans don't want to do.

England
    I get that quite often,usually on an evening when im trying to chill out,the phone will ring and it will be from a call centre in india trying to get me to agree to a mobile phone contract or dodgy sounding credit card!I wouldnt mind if they spoke better english and a bit slower,but they machine gun all these details out in badly pronounced english & often in such a quiet voice you cant hear them properly,so you could be agreeing to anything!i politely just say no to whatever it is and put the phone down

ViP

United States
    But then how would we repay their outsourcing to us? Ebb and flow, it works both ways.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Happens in Britain too. I don't begrudge them jobs or a quality of life but when it comes at the expense of others who are forced out of work into unemployment it's completely unacceptable.

Banned User

Undisclosed
    I dont blame companies for putting the jobs over there, most Westerners (Western Europeans/Americans etc) Dont appreciate that a company providing jobs is doing a favor, not a service. We want so many days off, and medical insurance, and paid vacations and guarenteed promotions and raises etc, then we show up 10 minutes late and leave 6 minutes early. I say good on the companies for moving over, we need to learn to be competitive.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the only thing i dont like is the aol help line is either an irish chick or an indian man answering and i cant undestand em much since my phones dead quite and they both speak english with heavy accents.

side form that who cares a jobs a job, you cant blame people for seeing a decent way to make a living and takeing it, or companys takeing the esay route either.

United States

Irish people ehhh

I've never spoken to the Irish over the phone but I do enjoy speaking to people from Jamacia I spoke to this one woman Yasmine from there when my boat was stolen she worked for the insurance company and with the circumstances I was quite upset but her accent just made me feel like I was on vacation and it was so friendly I guess I wouldn't mind outsourcing jobs to them.

Their rum rocks too yaaa mannnn
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Kazakhstan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottedfreak View Post
    Happens in Britain too. I don't begrudge them jobs or a quality of life but when it comes at the expense of others who are forced out of work into unemployment it's completely unacceptable.
    come now, nobody is forced out of their job.

you can't fire someone because youve found someone who'll work for less, that's illegal.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    come now, nobody is forced out of their job.

you can't fire someone because youve found someone who'll work for less, that's illegal.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=walmart
    The whole "day dook ah derbs" thing is most likely overblown ... but it has happened.

Like the thing not that long ago about some British contractors building a hospital or something like that, and they got replaced just before Xmas by Polish builders, even though the Brits had been given the contract to do the work ... that stank of sh*t all over.

As for help lines going to India - it's retarded because:

1) They most likely don't "get" our culture, or even know where places are, which can lead to trouble in certain situations.
    2) I duno about you, but I can't understand the accent for sh*t - that ain't racist, I just can't understand the accent worth a damn.

Speaking to Brits on phone lines can be bad enough, you get some thick-accented numpty, or someone who talks really bloody quietly...but it's generally better ... especially when you get a Scottish woman - then it's generally a pleasant experience, there was research done on it too.

On the issue of nobody being forced out of their job, guaranteed it happens sometimes, and when it does, no doubt those doing it use loopholes, or manage to fudge it within the boundaries of the laws ... it'll still be harsh and the actions of a dickhead, but they can get away with fudging the law to suit them. Or a company picking a Polish gang of contractors, rather than a British gang of contractors as they're cheaper ... that's iffy.

Who knows, maybe the Polish workers do a better job of it, there's too many cowboy Brit builders, so if a bit of competition makes them work harder then so be it, mind you ... if you've got cheaper Polish work being picked over Brit work and the end result isn't any better, or perhaps worse, then that's a naughty-no-no.

United Kingdom
    I dont know I find some of the scots accents harder to understand. I hate when they start talking about the weather,

call centre " hows the weather out there"
    me "cold wet and grey, your end"
    call centre " bright sunny and warm"

basterds

Super Moderator

UK
    Bright sunny and warm? Must have been an off-day for Scotland.

True, there's some Scots accents that can barely make sense, but there's 'Queens Scottish' (like Queen's English), so it's pronunciated clearly, which is the key. I remember turning on the TV one night and there was some drama on BBC2 and it was subtitled, but it appeared to be set in the UK ... after sitting there baffled for a moment, I discovered it was (if memory serves) Glaswegians rambing on at each other. Once I tuned my ear in I could understand most of it, but the subtitles were kinda necessary now and then - and I'm a Scot, so if I'm getting confused by the accent then you know they're just mumbling and slurring...mind you, you get the same thing around here in England in the countryside, bunch of farmers and folk from Gloucestershire...

Kazakhstan
    i can rarely understand what weegies are saying ("witcha meeoo cannae gat whit ma seen?") , but then i dont really get strong westcountry or irish accents either...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Bright sunny and warm? Must have been an off-day for Scotland.
    lol I meant the call centres in india. for the weather damn i am mixed up, forget I said anything

<sits and shuts up>

Super Moderator

UK
    lol ... bright, warm and swelteringly hot more like ... and crazy as crap on the roads ... I think I'll stay in the UK.