Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just saw Night 1990 in High Definition...

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Uncut version? ...
    By uncut, do you mean you have seen an edited version, that was altered for content or something?
    I think what he means is that there were several effect shots created that Savini did not include because Columbia Tristar figured the MPAA would take issue with them. One was a more clear shot of Magruder getting shot, and one was a head shot explosion of another zombie. There was a work print of the movie that included those scenes that a company called Blackest Heart Media (and several others too) used to sell on VHS. The work print was of course a bootleg, and Savini said that Columbia Tristar would never release the "uncut" version.

United States
    Never say never. Ten years from now when it's time to market the "definitive Tom Savini collectors box set" we might just see that version of Night 1990.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Undisclosed
    I find that this movie goes in the continuity of the others, it respects the romero movies environment, special mention to the credits music in the end.
    Last edited by Wildey; 15-Aug-2007 at 10:58 PM.

United States

great one

I've always loved the Savini version. It really stands above most zombie movies out there as far as overall quality. It had a good scare factor. And as far as sequels go, I thought it was pretty darn good.

sorry, remakes
    Last edited by clanglee; 16-Aug-2007 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    I'm just wondering about the appearance of zombies on HD... the quality is worth the HD? For some reason I stay away from converting HD because I feel like it'll make the zombies look more clownish or fake...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States

Got an HDTV and upconvert DVD player last night...

Went out and shot a wad of cash last night on a new HDTV and a new dvd player that plays standard dvd's in near HD quality. Night 1990 was the first film I watched in its entirety, right after I got done drooling over the picture quality of Revenge of the Sith, The Two Towers, and a few other big-budget special effects films. I plan on watching all four of the GAR films on my new set later this evening.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    Went out and shot a wad of cash last night on a new HDTV and a new dvd player that plays standard dvd's in near HD quality. Night 1990 was the first film I watched in its entirety, right after I got done drooling over the picture quality of Revenge of the Sith, The Two Towers, and a few other big-budget special effects films. I plan on watching all four of the GAR films on my new set later this evening.
    lucky man

United States
    i'll be really lucky when i get my 360, dead rising, and halo3 to jam out on the hd....should be a week or 2.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i'll be really lucky when i get my 360, dead rising, and halo3 to jam out on the hd....should be a week or 2.
    Yes sir, you will. Halo 3 is the sh*t. I liked Dead Rising, but it got a bit stale and repetitive after a while. A few members here agree with that, I believe.

Either way, you'll probably cream your pants when you first start it off. Nothing like a zombie killing rampage.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Yes sir, you will. Halo 3 is the sh*t. I liked Dead Rising, but it got a bit stale and repetitive after a while. A few members here agree with that, I believe.

Either way, you'll probably cream your pants when you first start it off. Nothing like a zombie killing rampage.

it was so stale i didnt even bother to play it

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    it was so stale i didnt even bother to play it
    Are you saying you never played it at all? How would you know that it gets stale?

The first...I dunno, hour of gameplay was a load of fun, but after that it gradually goes downhill to the point of just giving up on it. If you've never played it, I would suggest a rental so you can give it a try. It's at least worth that.

Hell...I know some people here that absolutely love it.

United States
    i've got a buddy from back home who tells me that it gets old in three hours or so.

i really doubt i'll get that bored with it, as i can sit and play jfk reloaded on my pc for hours on end.

halo 3 will be a completely different story, as i will most likely play that one for days on end.

should be ordering my 360 elite within the next two weeks.

i'll be sure to link up with you guys so you can stomp all over my noob ass.

United Kingdom
    A tad late to this thread, but I only just signed up so what can you do? I remember seeing Savini's NOTLD on its UK release date in '93 at the Southampton film festival; the showing was at Southampton uni'.
    Firstly, I like the movie and it was fantastic to see it on the big screen. There was some really good scares, and there was a great atmosphere with many real fans in attendance.
    Secondly, there is a book called, Savini - the wizard of gore , published by Midnight Media in which Savini talks about his experiences, (good and bad), of directing NOTLD.
    I won't repeat the text verbatim, but to give you the gist Tom talks about how there is a lot more gore that he shot, including head-shots, which were cut out at the time. Also, he goes on to talk about how he gave some examples of the music he wanted to the composer, but the guy just ignored Tom and did what he wanted! Allegedly, the guys that were employed to do the effects on the film were less than interested in working as part of a team with Tom, and instead seemed to be more concerned with kissing up to George in order to work on The Dark Half. Many suggestions that were made by Tom to his effects people were just dismissed.
    Make of that what you will, but I still very much like the film and I hope there will be a super-duper version at some point.
    Take it easy.
    Rich.
    Last edited by Ritchie; 17-Nov-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Are you saying you never played it at all? How would you know that it gets stale?

The first...I dunno, hour of gameplay was a load of fun, but after that it gradually goes downhill to the point of just giving up on it. If you've never played it, I would suggest a rental so you can give it a try. It's at least worth that.

Hell...I know some people here that absolutely love it.
    a friend whos a zombie fan like us called me 20 minutes into playing and goes "im taking it back for a refund" so apparently its that stale

Undisclosed

NOTLD '90 Uncut

Hello Richie,

Tom Savini gave a talk at one of the Watford film fairs some years ago and I remember him saying that his version was a lot better than the theatrical one. I also remember his saying that he'd provide a copy of it to the fair organisers, but I happened to come across them a couple of years later at a fair at the NEC, Birmingham and they informed me they'd never received anything.

I did manage to find a UK guy who provided me with a timecode version. It was disappointing as the only addition was the obligatory head-explosion shot, which, whilst good to see, was not the full version I was expecting to see.

It must be out there somewhere. Give us a shout mate if you ever come across it!

Cheers,