Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just saw Night 1990 in High Definition...

Undisclosed

NOTLD 90 on UHD

I tuned in for the opening, but I have a hard time watching a movie on TV that I already own--even if it is on HD. Is that weird? Plus, as soon as I tuned in I started to notice how pedestrian the effort seemed in making this film. If this were Dawn (which I have seen like 50 skrillion times) or anything else in HD I would be all over it.

What say you guys? Would you watch a so-so movie in HD, even if it is zombieish?

Super Moderator

Germany

Just saw Night 1990 in High Definition...

It was on UHD (Universal HD Channel) and it looked friggin fantastic. I hope they show it again, cuz I only caught the last 45 minutes of it.

It has inspired me to pick up Land of the Dead on HD-DVD. Zombies in High Def rock.

Edit - This thread was merged with the one above. Since Night 90 is a remake it is now in the remake forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TCDarkness View Post
    I tuned in for the opening, but I have a hard time watching a movie on TV that I already own--even if it is on HD. Is that weird? Plus, as soon as I tuned in I started to notice how pedestrian the effort seemed in making this film. If this were Dawn (which I have seen like 50 skrillion times) or anything else in HD I would be all over it.

What say you guys? Would you watch a so-so movie in HD, even if it is zombieish?
    I know some folks are kinda lukewarm about Night 90, but I am quite fond of it.
    Last edited by Kaos; 12-Apr-2007 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I know some folks are kinda lukewarm about Night 90, but I am quite fond of it.
    I think the reason why Night '90 hasn't been embraced by the 'Z' community as a whole is because of the lack of gore. This is one reason why I applaud it - FX shouldn't mean everything - and the movie does well without it, never becoming dull for one moment. The only grumble I have with Night '90 is the music, apart from the fact that it's dated, at times it sounds like it belongs on another movie entirely!

I would love to see this in high def btw.

ViP

United States
    Thanks for the heads up TC, I'll give this a look, although I will always prefer the unmatted version.

capncnut
    Ah, a purist!

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Ah, a purist!
    Not so much a purist, more of a "I don't care how it was released in theatres, I got used to the unmatted version on VHS, and now I just get irked by the unseen bits" kind of guy. Same goes for the original Dawn of the Dead, probably the only two films that I feel this way about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't like Night 90 because I think it's a bad film. Not because of it's lack of gore which I rarely ponder on really.

I think the editing and pacing is sub-par, the music ruins every scene it's in and it's unengaging.

Undisclosed
    yeah, I do think the music is what is really bad. the acting is fine. the direction is a bit of a pedestrian effort (I heard Savini barely directed any of the indoor stuff, that GAR had totake over. FWIW). I guess the film doesn't follow the rule of sequels/remakes: we need more! more blood, more zombies, something.

ViP

United States
    The music is bad, the acting is mostly bad, a lot of the dialogue is bad, the atmosphere is lacking, but I still like it a little bit, at least enough to sit through it once a year. I do think Tony Todd and Tom Towles were servicable in their roles.

capncnut
    I like it more than a little bit. It's kinda worthy in it's own little way.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    i actually loved this one because we can all relate to it(anyone not old enough to have seen the first one). its like our moon landing cuz it happened in our generation. just wish there would have been an uncut version

Undisclosed
    I still remember how excited I got when I first saw the trailers on television. man that was a looooooong couple of weeks before it hit the theatres....

United States

NOtLD '90 edited?

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    i actually loved this one because we can all relate to it(anyone not old enough to have seen the first one). its like our moon landing cuz it happened in our generation. just wish there would have been an uncut version
    Uncut version? There is not a cleaned up version, unless Cleanflix got a hold of it. That would be laughable , because without the filmmakers permission, they chop out anything that offends in the least .Then rent to hyper-vigilant parents that are freaked out their kids will become emotionally damaged by a movie.
    By uncut, do you mean you have seen an edited version, that was altered for content or something?
    The DVD is not edited, it has just about all of the work that was shot, except the extras, which Savini makes clear were clipped for the MPAA(GAK!).Those were really only seconds of film.
    I love it , I am aware of those that dont, thats ok.
    NOTLD 1968 had no copywrite, so it was a way for GAR to get the rights back.This also was a chance for Savini to fullfill his creative efforts of Night, because he had gone to Vietnam to be a combat photographer when the original was made.
    As for the end music, I kinda like it, but the sampled guitar riff gets on my nerves.The score during the film was abit kitchy.
    I love the cook-out (after the gas pump explosion)scene though, it makes me want to offer those stenches some sauces, & a keg of beer.
    Of course I would not do so w/out a few mates w/ spaz shotguns to cover me.
    Last edited by DVW5150; 16-May-2007 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Toaster kurd
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    high def zombie would rule.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    Uncut version? There is not a cleaned up version, unless Cleanflix got a hold of it. That would be laughable , because without the filmmakers permission, they chop out anything that offends in the least .Then rent to hyper-vigilant parents that are freaked out their kids will become emotionally damaged by a movie.
    By uncut, do you mean you have seen an edited version, that was altered for content or something?
    The DVD is not edited, it has just about all of the work that was shot, except the extras, which Savini makes clear were clipped for the MPAA(GAK!).Those were really only seconds of film.
    I love it , I am aware of those that dont, thats ok.
    NOTLD 1968 had no copywrite, so it was a way for GAR to get the rights back.This also was a chance for Savini to fullfill his creative efforts of Night, because he had gone to Vietnam to be a combat photographer when the original was made.
    As for the end music, I kinda like it, but the sampled guitar riff gets on my nerves.The score during the film was abit kitchy.
    I love the cook-out (after the gas pump explosion)scene though, it makes me want to offer those stenches some sauces, & a keg of beer.
    Of course I would not do so w/out a few mates w/ spaz shotguns to cover me.
    well just the part when mr mcgruder gets swiss cheesed. i heard it was a lot gorier in some parts including that one. oh well, im happy with what i got and its a good movie. i remember them talking about the night copyright issues. knowin full well if it was a scorsese film, he would have sued and won which sucks. even if i knew there was no copy right on the movie, i still would have given george his due and gave him a cut regardless.