Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another school shooting..

United States

Another school shooting..

VA Tech was shot up today 33 dead. including gun man. worst school shooting in american history.

wtf? sick $hit.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Easy permit to carry would have lessened if not avoided this.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yet another reason why i dont like the common man getting his hands on guns.

wholl get the blame this time? "goff music" or "gore-thriller video games"?

c'mon people, place your bets

United States

Here come the gun-debates ....

Almost 8 years to the day of Columbine 4/20/99 ...the previus most killed by a psycho-full-metal-jacketed : George Hennard , drove his p/u truck into Lubys' Diner in Kileen Texas , shot dead (co-workers) 12 them himself , 1991 .
    No indescretionary action taken by myself or meant by the title .
    I just know that this gonna be a, "guns is fer fun and weapons is fer killen " or " Kileen "... yarn now .
    A fired projectile thats that hot , moving soo(960 mph)fast , is gonna freak yer sheeeiite up..
    No questions .
    I am very disheartened by these events , finding a 'goodness and peace in this life', difficult at best .
    This discussion will turn guns versus regulation , I say 'melt the guns'...
    Copy cat theories and such ...
    Last edited by DVW5150; 17-Apr-2007 at 02:29 AM.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States

eeehh

I can understand why the police felt that the first shooting was a domestic issue and that it could've been an isolated incident but similarly domestic situations are the most dangerous because they're the most unpredictable. Here in the past two months more than five police officers have been shot and/or killed on domestic calls.

This is an obvious tragedy and begs for some kind of reform for the manner in which students and faculty are warned about possible dangeous situations. A simple email to students is not a sufficient means of warning to a possible outbreak of gunfire on your campus. Perhaps they could institute a phone tree for each residence hall and for off-campus students and set up road blocks around the campus to warn people or maybe (although costly) set up a PA system over campus that would alert everyone to danger. Additionally I can't see how the school felt the safest place to be was in your dorm room and away from the windows. Essentially you could be a fish in a barrel, no?

Whenever something bad happens the last place I can be found is indoors it freaks me out not being able to examine the full scope of my surroundings. I tend to feel the safest place is outdoors as long as its not a tornado or hurricane happening.

A concern for schools at any level across our country should now be what happens if there's a copycat shooting since usually when there's one shooting another one is bound to occur a brief time shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by MissJacksonCA; 17-Apr-2007 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Undisclosed
    Reform....?....heheh .....It cant protect people from the crazies.....

Parents and Media are going to be crying out for blood..... for someone or something to be responsible....for something to change to make people feel more safe....

The best part was when CNN/FOX NEWS reporters where asking swat team ‘experts’ “when are we going to start checking students like how we did after 9/11 in airports so we can prevent such strategies”…..I would have laughed harder at that moment if it werent so tragically horribly ignorant

I live in VA….and this is going to be a cluster **** from the get go…….
    Last edited by Terran; 17-Apr-2007 at 04:05 AM.

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post
    Reform....?....heheh .....It cant protect people from the crazies.....
    Yes and no...

Unfortunately 'the gun' is so instilled in american society now it seems there is no way to get rid of it, or even just reduce/control it, especially when almost any attempt to control ownership is met with such an outcry - even though the majority of americans seem in favour of the tightening of gun ownership etc.

The only thing I can imagine would work would be to slowy increase legislation/control on ownership over half a century to gradually change the 'gun culture'... and make it gradually harder and harder to at least buy guns without proper ID etc. And also buy multiple weapons etc.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Parents and Media are going to be crying out for blood..... for someone or something to be responsible....
    How about the psychopath who did the shooting and then shot himself?

Nah, that'd be too easy wouldn't it?

Guaranteed Jack Thompson and the like get all hot and bothered about it and try and connect it to a videogame, GTA? Halo? HL2? Doom? *sigh*

Such a terrible tragedy...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    How about the psychopath who did the shooting and then shot himself?

Nah, that'd be too easy wouldn't it?

Guaranteed Jack Thompson and the like get all hot and bothered about it and try and connect it to a videogame, GTA? Halo? HL2? Doom? *sigh*

Such a terrible tragedy...
    There was actually someone being interviewed on the BBC last night suggesting that all school kids should be wearing arms to prevent this

Can you imagine the weekly carnage that would take place!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    "Freedom comes with a price", dont you think? For Americans to enjoy the right to keep and bear arms, the price we pay in that on rare occasions, some people are going to abuse that right and kill a bunch of innocent people. If our government acted with our best interests in mind, and always acted above board, I would give more thought to some type of gun control in order to protect innocent citizens. But with our government not acting in our best interests, and totally lying to us an the world whenever it suits the needs of a select group of ruling elite, and the checks and balances neithe check nor balance anything, I do not want the citizens of this country to not have full access to guns. This may be the only thing that keeps our King...er.... President from ordering all out martial law and oppressing all citizrns.

I have to wonder, if the UK citizens had a bunch of guns, would the government been as quick to cede over the soverinty of your money and adopt the Euro? That alone seemed one big step towards a one-government world, one in which most of the citizens of the world will become oppressed.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    uhh dude, we didnt take the euro. its still pounds over here.

i think psyche evalutions should be mandatory for anyone buying a gun, i call it the "dont sell guns to nutjobs" system.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I have to wonder, if the UK citizens had a bunch of guns, would the government been as quick to cede over the soverinty of your money and adopt the Euro? That alone seemed one big step towards a one-government world, one in which most of the citizens of the world will become oppressed.
    I'll happily take my wage packet in Euro's if it means I don't arm wacko's

Joking aside, I think 30 million guns in our country wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to that matter, except to make MPs even more remote from the public for fear of getting shot by psychos.

We and the US - as has been discussed to death many times before - have completely different attitudes to gun ownership. And I think we just have to leave the matter there

ps: Do you feel oppressed because you have one government for your entire country, rather than your state, or town, or road, or house?
    -Carl Sagan

United States

Silver lining

There is something positive that can come out of this. After Columbine, Rosie O'donnell claimed she became very depressed and had to go thru treatment, even hanging upside down every day. Perhaps this event will finish her off for good? One can only hope.

Kazakhstan
    lol someone from a country that has the patriot act and runs camp x ray saying a single currency (which we dont actually have) is a step closer to oppression.

oh the irony.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bongholio View Post
    Easy permit to carry would have lessened if not avoided this.
    I like the idea of having accessible deadbolts on the classroom door so that a professor or student can lock out an intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    yet another reason why i dont like the common man getting his hands on guns...
    I don't like the idea of a common soccer mom getting her hands on a cell phone and a minivan. I've been almost hit, killed, or run off the road by one more than a few times. Thank goodness I've never been shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes and no...

Unfortunately 'the gun' is so instilled in american society now it seems there is no way to get rid of it, or even just reduce/control it, especially when almost any attempt to control ownership is met with such an outcry - even though the majority of americans seem in favour of the tightening of gun ownership etc.

The only thing I can imagine would work would be to slowy increase legislation/control on ownership over half a century to gradually change the 'gun culture'... and make it gradually harder and harder to at least buy guns without proper ID etc. And also buy multiple weapons etc.
    If the majority of Americans favor further restrictions of firearm ownership then there can't be much of an outcry against it.

There's plenty of firearm (local, state, & federal) legislation on the books. Increasing legislation only creates more confusion, paperwork, and headaches without actually improving anything.

A person cannot legally purchase a firearm without a Driver's License or a State I.D.

That law never did make sense. In California a person is only allowed to purchase one handgun every 30 days.

I'd rather see a crazy bad guy carrying a dozen guns and a little bit of ammunition than one gun and whole lot of ammo. "Darnit which magazine goes into which gun?!! Argh!!! These bullets don't go with these guns. (I've seen that happen )

Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    "Freedom comes with a price", dont you think? For Americans to enjoy the right to keep and bear arms, the price we pay in that on rare occasions, some people are going to abuse that right and kill a bunch of innocent people. If our government acted with our best interests in mind, and always acted above board, I would give more thought to some type of gun control in order to protect innocent citizens. But with our government not acting in our best interests, and totally lying to us an the world whenever it suits the needs of a select group of ruling elite, and the checks and balances neithe check nor balance anything, I do not want the citizens of this country to not have full access to guns. This may be the only thing that keeps our King...er.... President from ordering all out martial law and oppressing all citizrns...
    The President's not out to get us and noone is out to oppress anyone. I think all our parents, grandparents, or forefathers left that behind when they immigrated into the US.

Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ...i think psyche evalutions should be mandatory for anyone buying a gun, i call it the "dont sell guns to nutjobs" system.
    But what about those who go crazy sometime down the road after initally passing an evaluation and obtaining a firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'll happily take my wage packet in Euro's if it means I don't arm wacko's

Joking aside, I think 30 million guns in our country wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference to that matter, except to make MPs even more remote from the public for fear of getting shot by psychos.

We and the US - as has been discussed to death many times before - have completely different attitudes to gun ownership. And I think we just have to leave the matter there

ps: Do you feel oppressed because you have one government for your entire country, rather than your state, or town, or road, or house?
    That's a surprise. The first thing all the British, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, Canadian, Mexican, Australian, Taiwanese, Korean, Russian, etc... tourists like to do is come to our range and have fun. They always consistently make the remark that it's unfortunate they're unable to own firearms in they're respective countries and wish it was otherwise. So I assumed attitudes were not that much different.

I don't get it? We have the Federal gov to deal with International matters, State gov to deal with State matters, and County, City, Town gov to deal with local matters. That's a whole lot of government.

Besides without guns what do we shoot zombies with? The fiction section is great. Keep up the great work!