Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Thoughts on DEADSCAPES: Broken Road

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

My Thoughts on DEADSCAPES: Broken Road

After sometime, I finally picked up Cereval's DEADSCAPES DVD, and since it was in my box when i got home from work I came in, grabbed a pack of smokes, a glass of OJ and popped in the DVD.

As a beginner filmmaker I try to look at what the other noobs (please take no offense to this) are doing so I can see what kind of techniques they are using to help their stories become a film reality. I have followed Cereval's updates on Circling the Drain since I first learned about it on the original Forum's here at HPOTD. I was bummed to hear he had to let that project go, as I am sure all the hard work he put into it made it even more painful for him.

Sometime later he brings us DEADSCAPES. A short zombie horror film that actually delivers a twisted world where living amongst the dead takes it tolls physically and emotionally. What really made this project stick out for me was not the gore, or the fact it even had zombies... hell Cereval could have made these people the last 3 on earth and had a different monster subplot and I still would have enjoyed it... what made me say wow the most was the disillusioned trip the lead character was on in this film, and how his mental instability brought about change in the other characters. It was a joy to see what happens to the characters and how those who deserve their come-uppance get it.

Cereval has made a great little zombie short, that can be enjoyed as both a zombie flick as well as a look at the human psychy in a situation of dire consequence. I recommend this flick to anyone.

To Cereval,

Dude, Great job... I thought it was a great little flick, and I look forward to episode 2.

Dj
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

Undisclosed

From one newbie to another ...

Thanks, I appreciate it man. I take feedback from my peers a little differently than from just fans. Filmmakers view other people's stuff with different eyes and it's nice to hear this side of it. Again, thanks - the support is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    Sometime later he brings us DEADSCAPES. A short zombie horror film that actually delivers a twisted world where living amongst the dead takes it tolls physically and emotionally. What really made this project stick out for me was not the gore, or the fact it even had zombies... hell Cereval could have made these people the last 3 on earth and had a different monster subplot and I still would have enjoyed it... what made me say wow the most was the disillusioned trip the lead character was on in this film, and how his mental instability brought about change in the other characters. It was a joy to see what happens to the characters and how those who deserve their come-uppance get it.

Cereval has made a great little zombie short, that can be enjoyed as both a zombie flick as well as a look at the human psychy in a situation of dire consequence. I recommend this flick to anyone.

To Cereval,

Dude, Great job... I thought it was a great little flick, and I look forward to episode 2.

Dj
    If there's one thing that makes this kind of reaction fulfilling, it the acknowledgement of the storyline. Like I've said before, if there's one thing that separates George's dead films from the rest, it's the focus on people - not zombies. My main homage to The Man is trying to stay true to this very thing.

It makes it all worthwhile when another fan / filmmaker actually picks up on this, but enjoys it as well.

Keep me (us) posted on Deadlands and so you know, I'm in full support of the next guy when it comes to indie so keep in touch.

Cereval

Administrator

England
    Time line jumps/flash backs are all hard to pull off... But you performed them very well - Even down to the subtle soundtrack "nudges" to help the audience realise the jumps were taking place etc...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    "Soundtrack nudges"...you mean like in Lost when they have that weird...plane noise sound...whenever they move from present day to past and vice versa.

If I had some money to spend I'd definately order Deadscapes...but at the moment I'm rather strapped for cash - but it's on my list, hey, maybe I'll win a million on the Premium Bonds this month and then I can go on a spree ... yeh, I wish!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It was the one thing I noticed in the short that really impressed me. The characters and their changes throughout the event.

You lead was one evil muther****er... and I liked it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    Time line jumps/flash backs are all hard to pull off... But you performed them very well - Even down to the subtle soundtrack "nudges" to help the audience realise the jumps were taking place etc...
    Whew thanks! I was hoping it would be convincing and not that confusing ...

I'd never done a proper score before and learned a lot about this kind of technique along the way, along with stuff like the repeated melody, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    If I had some money to spend I'd definately order Deadscapes...but at the moment I'm rather strapped for cash - but it's on my list, hey, maybe I'll win a million on the Premium Bonds this month and then I can go on a spree ... yeh, I wish!
    There is the free VCD version ... but of course, saving up for the DVD is not something I'll try and talk you out of ...

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG
    It was the one thing I noticed in the short that really impressed me. The characters and their changes throughout the event.

You lead was one evil muther****er... and I liked it.
    I love memorable characters in movies ... seeing them put through trials and tribulations is so much fun - especially when they're evil muther****ers!
    Last edited by Cereval; 04-Mar-2006 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereval
    Whew thanks! I was hoping it would be convincing and not that confusing ...

I'd never done a proper score before and learned a lot about this kind of technique along the way, along with stuff like the repeated melody, etc.

No I was very impressed by that! You made it look easy... Which means you did it well.

I suspect (for you) it's also hard to watch it and know if you've done it well cos you're so on top of the project it's hard to "step away"...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

ViP

Undisclosed
    I suspect (for you) it's also hard to watch it and know if you've done it well cos you're so on top of the project it's hard to "step away"...
    Actually, that's very true ... I don't have enough distance from it enough to watch it with fresh eyes yet.

Super Moderator

UK
    I find the exact same thing myself, you can be as judicious with editing down the footage as you like - but you'll never be critical (to the right degree) until quite some time later when you haven't been 'near' the project. The old addage of the artist is his greatest critic is very true, but perhaps too critical. The artist views it in minute detail from very close, while the viewer - who sees it all cobbled together (as if it just appeared at the click of a finger) - sees the whole picture, which essentially 'smoothes over' any flaws (unless they're fundamental).

Once I've been 'off' a project for a while I find I can then go back and be critical in a new vein, and am then able to analyse my work - find the good and find the bad and work towards a better next piece.

United States
    that's what did it for me!
    The first time my gal and I watched it there was this "huh?" thing going on for about 5 minutes.....then I started seeing the "flashback" thing.... He pulled it off!

I host a "movie night" here at the house once a month and one night I showed this.....now, most of the time we poke fun at the B Movies and comment loudly (Mystery Science Theater 3000-like) throughout the night - When I played Deadscapes and explained where it came from, the room was silent and watched the entire thing, extras and all. It may be a "short" but it ain't no B-Flick -
    For a short film to use "flashback" AND pull it off is a great accomplishment!
    It's rare that a short film can cram so much in to so little time.

where's the rest of it?

Just been bitten Pistolero Films's Avatar

Undisclosed
    I got the free VCD (many thanks!) and have passed it on to many friends. The biggest accomplishment here is GETTING IT DONE. And I think it got done in a professional manner. At the beginning of the film I thought, here we go, we'll see a bunch of blue face painted zombies bumping around in a slow-motion mosh pit...the characters are what made this film and also the location. I love the beat-up motorhome.

Good work and can't wait to see more of these shorts!

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    Once I've been 'off' a project for a while I find I can then go back and be critical in a new vein, and am then able to analyse my work - find the good and find the bad and work towards a better next piece.
    It's been 3 months ... I've tried a few times to go back and see if my eyes have reset when watching it, but it's still not time. It'll be a good day when this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome
    where's the rest of it?
    There's more a-comin' ... keep your fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistolero Films
    I got the free VCD (many thanks!) and have passed it on to many friends. The biggest accomplishment here is GETTING IT DONE. And I think it got done in a professional manner. At the beginning of the film I thought, here we go, we'll see a bunch of blue face painted zombies bumping around in a slow-motion mosh pit...the characters are what made this film and also the location. I love the beat-up motorhome.

Good work and can't wait to see more of these shorts!
    Right on! Thanks for helping spread the word. I'm also glad to know that you're able to appreciate it on these levels. A lot of films I see in this genre seem to have that "slow-motion mosh pit" mentality and I've never gotten it either ... I've always felt there should be bit more. Again, thanks for the support.
    Last edited by Cereval; 05-Mar-2006 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Italy

stupid people

The only thing that really sticks out to me in this short movie is that when homie let the gas can drop, he wasn't quick enough to pick it up before all five gallons spilled out,

Besides, because when laying flat the nozzle is still above the ground, then there should still be gas in the can.

Also, stupid people get killed quick in these times; personally i don't really care about their stories, only if it's for gory background.

Bah... other than that, i respect all efforts.

Banned User

United States
    Yes, it was a neat movie. I just loved the sound track. DJ put it all in such great words

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by 7734 View Post
    The only thing that really sticks out to me in this short movie is that when homie let the gas can drop, he wasn't quick enough to pick it up before all five gallons spilled out,

Besides, because when laying flat the nozzle is still above the ground, then there should still be gas in the can.

Also, stupid people get killed quick in these times; personally i don't really care about their stories, only if it's for gory background.

Bah... other than that, i respect all efforts.
    This is one of the few compromises I made in such a small script. When writing scenarios, sometimes you have to cut corners to make the story work ... the gas spilling was one such instance.

If and when I rationlize the scene, I often point out that the guy really is stupid. And stupid people do stupid things. And as you've mentioned, this is why they die.