Thread: "Big Nothing"...

Super Moderator

UK

"Big Nothing"...

Just watched this flick today, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it.

It's pretty damn black, jet black comedy...a crime farce, where bungling would-be-extortionists bungle their way into a deeper and deeper hole with blacker and blacker comedic results.

Schwimmer still has a hint of Ross hanging around him, but you gotta give props to the guy as he's trying his utmost to get shot of that now, and he's starting to achieve it. Simon Pegg (with an American accent here) is also in it, it was interesting to find out a while back on Friday Night With Jonathon Ross that they're both mates.

Anyway, it was thoroughly black, a tad depressing at the end perhaps, but still rather funny and actually rather enjoyable. The genre has probably seen better entries, but also many, many worse entries. Definitely worth a watch, I enjoyed it a lot, and at 77 minutes (before the end credits kick in anyway) it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Also, if you do watch it, skip to the almost-end of the end credits to see an out-take of Simon Pegg actually decking one of his co-stars by accident and knocking the poor bugger out ... I guess Pegg needs to work on his fake punching a bit more, teehee.

A solid 7/10 methinks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Just watched this flick today, and I have to say I rather enjoyed it.

It's pretty damn black, jet black comedy...a crime farce, where bungling would-be-extortionists bungle their way into a deeper and deeper hole with blacker and blacker comedic results.

Schwimmer still has a hint of Ross hanging around him, but you gotta give props to the guy as he's trying his utmost to get shot of that now, and he's starting to achieve it. Simon Pegg (with an American accent here) is also in it, it was interesting to find out a while back on Friday Night With Jonathon Ross that they're both mates.

Anyway, it was thoroughly black, a tad depressing at the end perhaps, but still rather funny and actually rather enjoyable. The genre has probably seen better entries, but also many, many worse entries. Definitely worth a watch, I enjoyed it a lot, and at 77 minutes (before the end credits kick in anyway) it doesn't outstay it's welcome.

Also, if you do watch it, skip to the almost-end of the end credits to see an out-take of Simon Pegg actually decking one of his co-stars by accident and knocking the poor bugger out ... I guess Pegg needs to work on his fake punching a bit more, teehee.

A solid 7/10 methinks.

was that a spaced reference?

yeah its cool how they had shows on in thr same hour on channel 4 like 7 years ago and now there working together, i havent heard nor seen owt about this till i saw it in wollworths the other day.

yeah, not hmv or music zone, woolworths, still from what i saw when they were on that episode of jonathan ross' show they make a good comedy team, not as good as pegg and frost though, but still good im gonna give this one a look.

after ive finally bought clersk 2, i STILL havent seen it, theres just too many videogames out right nwo i want

Super Moderator

UK
    You still haven't seen Clerks 2?! Geeeeeez!

Take the visual quality of Jay & Bob, take the potty mouth of Clerks, and the emotional depth of Chasing Amy, and you've got Clerks 2.

Big Nothing is quite enjoyable, and it is funny to see Schwimmer bungling around with Pegg as their characters f*ck everything up decidedly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    dude i have ZERO income, i never have the money to buy dvds, theres tons i still dont have, pans labyrinth and clerks 2 are the two msut see movies for me, and children of men, still havent seen the whole thign in one sitting.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...and the emotional depth of Chasing Amy, and you've got Clerks 2.
    Bollocks, I wouldn't go that far. Clerks 2 is awright an' that but it AIN'T S**T compared to Amy. Amy won awards for best independent screenplay an' s**t, Clerks 2 is a very good clone at best. Like Axl Rose singing his own songs on a karaoke machine.

I like Clerks 2, but the emotional depth of Amy? F**k no!
    Last edited by capncnut; 21-Apr-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnKnut View Post
    Bollocks, I wouldn't go that far. Clerks 2 is awright an' that but it AIN'T S**T compared to Amy. Amy won awards for best independent screenplay an' s**t, Clerks 2 is a very good clone at best. Like Axl Rose singing his own songs on a karaoke machine.

I like Clerks 2, but the emotional depth of Amy? F**k no!
    Well that's you anyway, I personally found it very touching.

capncnut
    Oh I wont deny that Clerks II is a very well made sequel but I know I'm not alone when I say that I was a teensy weensy bit disappointed with it. Rosario Dawson and Trevor Fehrman were great as the new additions and I rank the LOTR fanboy sequence as ne of Smith's best all-time scenes.

While I agree that it's better than Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back, Clerks II is way too far removed from the original to be compared with Smith's earlier works.

"Jay & Silent Bob May Return..." Speaks volumes to me.