Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night of the Living Dead Reviews

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    There's always that group of people that call your work crap just so they stand out and be noticed.
    I never understand these types of remarks.

IF someone does not like a film they are trying to stand out ? I don't get that, unless it is simply the mind of a 14 year old at work. I thought his film was less than subpar;

NO ****ING OFFENSE

It is a subjective opinion. I expect bars to be raised amongst the aspiring filmmakers and this one lowered it.

-

If a director states their intent, then the film can be enjoyed ? A viewer has to get it ? This is the secret for filmmakers ? Just state you intent ?

-

If your comments are directed at my negative critique of the film then by al means say it (and blow me while your at it ) . I took the time to watch it and I wrote a review with more than few sentences. I stated why I did not like it and offered some constructive tips for the next go around.

-

And you guys are gonna make stupid remarks about people trying to get attention ot just not getting it ?

-

I'll say what I've already mentioned; if yall thought this was good, then you're too easy. Your standards must be really effin low.

United States
    actually mutineer
    nobody really cares if you like it or not

knowing about the persons vision
    and the fact that it wasnt made to impress anyone
    should change anyones expectaion of the film

you didnt like it
    fine

no big deal
    none at all

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't remember it being directed at anyone in particular. No need to throw cheap insults.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by kortick View Post
    actually mutineer
    nobody really cares if you like it or not

knowing about the persons vision
    and the fact that it wasnt made to impress anyone
    should change anyones expectaion of the film

you didnt like it
    fine

no big deal
    none at all
    Don't try so hard.

No one cares ? I presume you speak for the entire community. Perhaps you don't care; but then why reply ?

I am sure if I said 'That film was rad!' everyone would be happy. Like I said, in time, you'll see I am consistent with my honest reviews. But I appreciate your open acceptance of others opinions and your class.

Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I don't remember it being directed at anyone in particular. No need to throw cheap insults.
    No cheap insults; but when only 2 people say a negative remark about the film; the power of deduction is pretty simple

But if not directed at me; I'm still speaking out against that kind of rationale. Someone doesn't like the film; that's their deal. It probably isn't an attempt to get notcied

I'm not taking it personal for those that are upset I made a bad review. It is what it is.

-

Anyways; I suppose I've said my peace on the thread.
    Last edited by Mutineer; 05-May-2007 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    you should read before you post

i quite clearly stated he didnt make this movie for any other reason
    but for it to be a fun project for himself

he didnt care if anyone liked it
    not me not you not anyone

why dont you read things before you post?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    remember when this was a thread for reviews about reeses movie

United States
    it is hellsing

he said he didnt like the movie
    and it is ok

i am just trying to point out to him that this was a fun project for reese

nobody likes everything

and really if he doesnt like the movie it is completely fine
    i am not angered by it

but keep in mind he made this as fun
    dont put so much weight on it
    cuz reese didnt

mutineer is more than entitled to his opinion

i would never say he shouldnt say what he feels

i dont have that right by any means

Super Moderator

UK
    Exactly, this thread is for reviews, not in-fighting (which, if it must be continued, is better in private so not everyone has to see it). So kindly return to review-related chit-chat, I'm sure Reese would appreciate that more.

capncnut
    Actually, shouldn't this be merged with the 'important' Night 07 review thread?

United States
    Well, I left this board, at least from regular posting, as a result of harrassment over a difference of opinion from more than a few other people here. Well I come back from time to time, as I jsut can't stay away. I've been a fan of this site sinc eit's very early days, and I always will be...just not the forums. I just finished watching this movie and, yeah, it's beena whole week since anyone posted a review, but I'll post one anyway, to show my appreciation to the maker of this film.

To start...I liked it. I did, however, think there were a few things that could have been improved, even for an amateur film. I'll go over my main points.

1) The zombies. These didn't even look like zombies. I understand someone who was bitten on the arm with a shirt on and came back as a zombie wouldnt exactly look like a zombie right off, but all the other zombies were the same way. There just wasn't any makeup effects as far as the zombies go.

2) Acting. I thought the acting was par for an amateur movie. Some of the actors in this film were better than others. Some weren't bad at all, while others weren't that good. Let's just remember that this is AMATEUR work, so to expect above average acting is asking for dissapointment.

3) Plot. Simple, well told, and to the point. I was a little dissapointed at the long indoor scenes such as all the time spent in the hall with no zombies. A zombie flick needs lots of scenes where fighting the cadavers takes place.

Well, in school style grading I give it a C. 2 out of 5 stars...but for amateur work..thats a good mark. It was well worth the time to watch, and I hope they continue to make amateur movies. I always wanted to be a part of something like this...to be a part of a group making amateur zombie flicks. I've always had good ideas, but never had the means. I'm just glad these people do what I cannot. Good job, and keep up the good work.

Paranoia Agent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A break from reality! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Paranoia nurtures him!

Undisclosed
    I REALLY wasn't just trying to get noticed. I'm in my 30's, I'm long past that, if I ever was there. I'm also to that age where I hate to waste my time with bad films, because there are alot of them, & I've wasted my time on alot of them, but this one was by far the worst. I honestly think that the worst part of this movie was juat BAD, BAD, BAD dialogue. I felt like I was watching a little kid 99 percent of the time, you know how you'll here kids swearing around eachother as if just looking for a reason to throw in a swear in any possible place they can? Well here it is, it's all so contrived, & forced. I've had this problem with other movies & alot of music. Also, it just comes down to asking yourself while watching a film, "is there anything at all I'm enjoying about this film, to actually make me sit here any longer?" For me, the answer to that question was no. Maybe I went about posting entirely wrong the first time, but I did it, so what & it's over now. Also, the fact that a section is here to review the film, & the fact that the film was posted online for us to view, completely contradicts anyone saying that the filmmaker doesn't care what anyone else thinks of this film.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Dude, relax and don't get your panties in a bunch.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Thats one of the reasons I stopped posting here a while back, John...I didnt agree with a few people, but in my case it went beyond being put down on a message board. Things were said that proved the other parties cowardice.

Anyway..I do agree with you, John. I felt the same way about the dialogue at times. It wasnt a very good movie, but for an amateur film, it wasn't all that bad.

Paranoia Agent . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A break from reality! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Paranoia nurtures him!

United States
    we need a hug and make up smiley

Undisclosed
    Alright, I'll give you something to read..

So.. I was browsing around bored when I decided to make a visit to HPOTD just to see if there'd been any more f'ing remakes put out recently that I could exclaim explatives about to myself and my friends. One more heartless, spineless, thoughtless piece of s*** that completely misses the point of what makes a good zombie movie. Low and behold, here YOU are. Immediately I started rolling my eyes.

So here's the part where I slowly make that transition to telling you I was actually pretty impressed. I hate being so predictable but yes, I'm impressed. I've gone through my seeking every zombie film imaginable period. I've seen Redneck Zombies and countless others. I've seen BAD zombie movies. This is not bad in my opinion. It may be flawed from a budget and time standpoint. There are things I would have done differently. And hey if my own ideas were implemented, who knows, the movie could have been a giant s***load worse than it was. It's YOUR vision, and because of specific key elements, I respect the hell out of this movie.

I feel that dogging the obvious flaws is just pointless here because no doubt, it's your work, you want to defend it obviously but you also are going to be far more critical of yourself than anyone else could ever be. Almost every artist I like can't even stand their own work. I'm the same way. Not saying that you don't like how this turned out, but you're certainly AWARE of the problems. Let's just get past all that bull****.

If you're going to do a revisioned remake, I believe, this is how it should be done. I was only speaking a week ago to a friend of mine regarding the first three Romero zombie movies. We were talking about how the time period it was released in itself IS a character in Night, Dawn, & Day. That's the way it is with any classic movie. Everything comes together almost by some cosmic force. Anything that will last, regardless of the art form, anything that will one day be referred to as a classic will be a product of it's time and the sum of it's parts almost on a subconscious level. The problem with remakes, sequels, a TV show going past 4 seasons (yes, there are exceptions), etc is that you're there trying to get back the magic from something that already happened. It's wrong, it's gone, stop it.

This idea carries over to a ****load of things..music too..it's why we have has-beens. It's why the 60/70-year old members of the Rolling Stones still touring make you want to vomit. If they had any luck at all they would have been killed in their prime like Hendrix, Morrison, Joplin, etc. I could be shredded for this, who gives a ****, but it's why I think Land Of The Dead should never have been made. I thought that movie was **** because it seemed to try to reach too hard for something that every fan was already fully aware of BECAUSE IT ALREADY HAPPENED. There was so much time, so many years for us to analyze the reason these zombie movies worked, that doing it again now, it could never be as good because of the simple fact that we are affected. So is Romero. Any of us making zombie movies now are affected by the specific things we thought really MADE those classic movies, including Romero. More importantly, LotD couldn't work because the majority of the reason it was made was based on fans requesting it. Romero needs to stop, and we all need to appreciate what we have and let it be. This new whatever the **** part 5 sequel garbage he's working on now may have some moments that will make us smile, but it's simply a caricature reaching for something it can see but can't touch. That's my opinion.

If ever any new art is created with the intentions of pleasing fans of a former work, moreso than the artist making an uncompromised vision, it is inherently flawed. When you create for yourself, you make much better work because most fans don't even understand that leaving that world behind gives you the ability to use your imagination. You can wonder what happened to those characters. THAT IS A GOOD THING. What happened to Peter and Fran after they flew off the mall roof in a helicopter with low fuel? Did they crash? Were they eaten? Did Fran have the baby? Did they survive and deal with Flyboy's effeminate demon spawn? Who ****ing knows man, make it up in your head, look at our fiction section, it's awesome!! That being said, again, if you feel you have to retread, then Reese has the right idea.

Getting back to the subject I was initially getting to wayyyyyy up there... I don't care how critical you want to be of this movie, you cannot disregard it HAS significant moments that work. This movie has impact regardless of it's limitations. To write it off as amateur, unwatchable, a complete waste of time? My personal opinion is if you're tearing it down to that extent, then you're up your own ass with the "I don't sugarcoat" vibe. That's fine, that's YOUR personal issue. I KNOW we have rented movies from Blockbuster (wherever you rent from) with far less to appreciate than this movie. Movies with a lot more budget, a lot more time to get things right and a hell of a lot less ****ing heart.

Specifically, I want to emphasize the point where the zombies are smacking the sliding glass door behind the shades and the sister is standing there hearing that. It really isn't very often I get to putting myself back into the shoes of a side character in a horror film because we assume they're going to be dead, we're just waiting to see how. Maybe I can credit the low budget aspects with this feat, but nevertheless it worked. It just worked. The sound of the banging, not seeing behind the blinds, and knowing that glass can only take so much abuse? That's a haunting moment. It made me think as soon as I heard the sound and saw the house setup, "Oh, man that's a ****ty situation.." Not to mention man, these characters are written in a pre-affected zombie fashion. At that point she could think anything was behind that sliding glass door. She was operating under the assumption these could be murdering psychotics. Come to think of it, her TV wasn't working and John wasn't giving her much information so it really could have been anyone or anything beyond. Once again, a key element was not seeing it. Maybe that was a budget limitation, maybe it was cheaper for her not to peek out and get the generic "How well did Reese dress up his zombies, let's check it out" scare. Less was more, and it worked. WE all knew what the hell was behind the shades. We were given the time to be there with her and wonder what we would do in her shoes. Same kind of principle in M. Night Shamalan movies, Signs in particular. Say what you want about him or that movie. Less was more. People complained about the lack of us seeing the alien making it cheap. Does seeing the alien reeeeally make it scary? Does seeing the zombie reeeeally make it scary? Hell no. We know what an alien looks like, we know what a f'ing zombie looks like, that's all a part of the special effects element. If people concentrated on the more important things first, like a STORY and the DYNAMIC of the situation they're faced with, the special effects would carry a lot more weight. Otherwise we're seeing what we expect, and that would bore the **** out of us.

Take 28 Days Later for instance. I don't wanna hear your **** about "not a zombie movie" blah blah blah, whatever kind of reserved hatred you have about that movie or it's sequel, the point is this. For the first time in a LONG time, I was able to stop and think to myself about the situation. You're there with your girlfriend/wife/father/mother/best friend talking about anything. Someone you've known for years, someone whom, before this crisis started, you probably had decided or at least fooled yourself into believing you would die for, should those circumstances present themselves. A decision you may have even considered only because you figured that circumstance never WOULD present itself. This person is suddenly infected by one drop of blood or saliva to their eyes or mouth, and think about how easy that is... and you now have less than 20 seconds to decide to kill them or they are going to rip you to f'ing shreds. You have to realize they are gone, say your goodbyes, and go immediately into survival mode, only hoping you're capable of overpowering them to begin with...all in 20 seconds. THAT is F'ED UP!!

That brings me to my unshaken belief of what makes a good zombie movie. More than any other movie monster, a good zombie movie is about the remaining LIVING PEOPLE. In actuality, we're the monsters. We're the ones who get selfish and careless and stupid, put ourselves in jeopardy and get eaten. We're the ones who talk a great game and then go cowardly and F over everyone else. We're the ones who let the world crumble to s*** because we can't work together positively. Zombie movies done right are introspective engagements at their core. If they're done RIGHT.

So whether or not this movie has it's limitations, and it's retardedly redundant to even point them out given the circumstances, it should be credited with what it got right. There were plenty of other things besides Barb's moment with the shades, but I've written way too much. Even THAT I appreciate because it only shows the movie got me talking. So thank you Reese. Your movie is now a part of my zombie consciousness on a positive level. I assure you that's a feat.

By the way, if you get enough recognition and praise resulting in finance to go back and make tinkering edits on your movie? Sure, mess around a little here and there with the news footage but don't go all George Lucas on it. Some of the charm can be lost. You have a lot to be proud of.