• Full Metal Jacket

8 36.36%
  • Casualties Of War

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oooh another poll!!!

capncnut

Oooh another poll!!!

"Listen soldier, <distant explosion> I want you to make a life or death decision. Do you hear me? <huge explosion> What are you hiding from marine? Get up!"

Anyway, what's your favourite Vietnam war flick. It's pretty obvious what mine is.
    Last edited by capncnut; 26-Apr-2007 at 03:43 AM.

United States
    FMJ...but, I'm biased. It's the most realistic take on Marines there is to date.

OooRah!

Super Moderator

UK
    I slapped one down for Apocalypse Now, but they're all great Vietnam flicks (although Hamburger Hill is probably at the bottom of that particular pile, it's up against some greats there).

FMJ and Platoon are ideal for university viewing with mates, I remember we all sat down to watch Platoon which I bought on DVD simply because I didn't have my VHS copy with me, haha. We all sat down to watch it after being out at a party and I think we'd forgotten how tough a movie it is, rather than the likes of FMJ which you can have a bit more fun with, same goes for A-Now...

United Kingdom
    Voted FMJ but thats probs because I have never managed to watch the whole of AN. One day I will finish watching this.

United States
    "Charlie don't surf."

I like all the movies listed, but AN has always been my favorite - if just for Robert Duvall alone.

Kilgore: You wanna surf, soldier?
    (soldier nods yes meakly)
    Kilgore: That's good, boy, because it's either surf or fight.

and who could forget:

Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. One time we had a hill bombed for 12 hours. I walked up it when it was all over; we didn't find one of 'em ... not one stinking gook body. They slipped out in the night -- but the smell -- that gasoline smell -- the whole hill -- it smelled like ... victory...

Willard: You know, some day this war's gonna end..

Kilgore (sadly): Yes, I know.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is tough. Really tough.

In terms of being close to the real experience of Vietnam, i'm thinking "Platoon".

In terms of being a damn well crafted film, I'm thinking "Deer Hunter", "Full Metal Jacket" and "Apocalypse Now"(the original....NOT the Redux version). Except, the big problem with "AN" is that it's really not a film about the war. It's just a movie set in Vietnam

Damn....all the choices are good. I think i'm going to have to go with "The Deer Hunter". I've always had a soft spot for that flick. "AN" is a close second, though.
    Last edited by bassman; 26-Apr-2007 at 02:13 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im saying non of the above, my favourite vietnam film is b far r-point. i can totally recommend.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think what Apocalypse Now offers is a film about the madness of Vietnam, and what it did to some of the people out there...it's touched on/shown in other movies, but I think the overall vibe of AN is the madness of it all...hell yeah, Platoon really is a tough cookie, and Adagio for Strings ... dude ... you can't play a round of paintball without that running through your head...and you just know you're going to "do an Elias" when you're outnumbered...

England
    Those are all great films,i voted apocalypse now but i enjoyed all the films listed there!I also enjoyed we were soldiers which isnt listed,because its probably the only vietnam film there is where the soldiers fight like trained professionals and act like sane men (as its set in the early stages before the madness and rock n roll set in) most of the film is raw combat as well,and in the cinema it was brutal!As i said though,all of those are great vietnam films!

I voted apocalypse now because its an epic journey,the whole film draws you in & just oozes menace the closer they get to kurtz & further away from the relative sanity (or insanity) of "conventional" warfare.The redux version is the one for me,it has more depth & delves into the vietnam conflict a lot more than the original cut (especially the french plantation scene) and of course it has that scene,you know the one,with the helicopters...
    I'd love to see the 6 hour version of apocalypse now,apparently it does exist,but probably will never see release

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah mate, 6 hours of Apoc Now? Yes please!

Hell yeah, We Were Soldiers is a good flick, it's also got some depth to it - and it shows the other side in a more 'shades of grey' manner, rather than totally faceless, or "they're just bad, mmmkay?"

WWS is quite brutal at times, and you do get sucked in and feel a part of the conflict ... and whatshisname (chopper guy) does a pretty good job of looking like he's seen way to much sh*t in one day...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I'd love to see the 6 hour version of apocalypse now,apparently it does exist,but probably will never see release

If I remember correctly, there is a section in the new "Full Dossier" dvd package that states quite clearly that this was the first edit Coppola had of the film but after the MANY edits to follow, most of that extra footage was tossed.

I think the Redux version is basically all of the remaining footage.

United States
    How can you not include WE WERE SOLDIERS in that mix ?

I chose Platoon based on it's ability to bring the viewer into the world of the grunt. No other war film has been able to do that while staying the most realistic of all the entries; visceral

Apacalypse Now is the best looking and most poetic of the choices and Casualties of War seems even more contemporary due to the recent IRAQ rape scandal.

The Deer Hunter
    Apocalypse Now
    Platoon
    Hamburger Hill
    Full Metal Jacket
    Casualties Of War

Kazakhstan
    we were soldiers?!
    never roll your eyes at me for taking drugs again!

this is a VERY tough poll. so tough, i'll have to come back later...
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    Whats wrong with we were soldiers??ok it got panned by the artistic critics lobby,but veterans of that particular battle said it was a good and accurate version of events.Depends if you want an arty film or a film that shows raw combat from ground level,face down in the dirt as it were

Kazakhstan
    yeah it was a fair watch, but it doesnt rank alongside the rest of those classics. it's way too long, a bit mushy, gibson doesnt really fool me and some of the effects were a bit gash.
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE