Thread: Pics of my trip to Evans City, the Monroeville Mall and Harold Brown Airfield

United States

Pics of my trip to Evans City, Monroeville, and Night '90 filiming locations

been terribly busy lately, been meaning to post these and embed them into a single post with some explanations, but it takes some time and i've been having difficulty getting them resized, etc.

for now, here's a link to my flickr account, pics are pretty self-explanatory, but i will answer any questions that i can for those who want any clarification. pics are from the evans city cemetery, original NotLD house location, evans city itself, the mall and airport from dawn, and NotLD '90 cemetery and house locations. kind of a jumbled mess, but uber-fans should have no trouble recognizing some familiar spots.

i apologize, i probably didn't take nearly enough pics and i'm not much of a photographer. didn't want to be too much of tourist i guess. couldn't get close to either house property from either NotLD film, both had no trespassing signs, and the mall is almost unrecognizable in the areas open to the public. still a super-cool experience that i'd recommend for any fan within reasonable driving distance. the coolest moments to me were the airfield (super run-down and eerily abandoned) and the evans city cemetery itself, which almost felt like walking through a dream or something.

hope you guys and gals enjoy, maybe i'll get this organized and cleaned up a bit one of these days when life slows down a bit for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162198307@N08/
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 12-Jun-2018 at 03:43 AM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Very cool. What was the Evans Post Office in? The Crazies?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Very cool. What was the Evans Post Office in? The Crazies?
    yeah, the post office was in a brief shot about 30 minutes into the film.

the living dead museum sits right on the main drag through town, about a block down the road from the railroad tracks seen a few seconds before the post office.

United States
    Cool pictures.
    I really need to go see these places someday before they are completely unrecognizable or just disappear. You'd think I would have by now as I only live 60 miles away or so. I actually passed through Evans City at least once, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Cool! Thanks for sharing the pics.

How's the Monroeville Mall these days - is it going the way of so many malls in America, or is it managing to keep stores open?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    the coolest moments to me were the airfield (super run-down and eerily abandoned)
    I wonder if the coffee machine that Peter "fixed" is still there...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I really need to go see these places someday before they are completely unrecognizable or just disappear. You'd think I would have by now as I only live 60 miles away or so. I actually passed through Evans City at least once, too.
    shame on you, i'd love to live as close to these iconic places as you! if i can find time to visit these places 8 hours from my house, you surely could drive an hour or so to check them out!

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    How's the Monroeville Mall these days - is it going the way of so many malls in America, or is it managing to keep stores open?
    the mall seems to be doing quite well from what i could tell. i did read recently that there are over a hundred malls in the united states that will be closing in the coming years, so i figured i'd better make the trip while it still stands. i don't think the monroeville mall will be closing anytime soon though. seemed pretty busy on the saturday evening we went.

as i've said in another thread and earlier in this one, almost all of the recognizable landmarks from the film are gone: the clock tower, jc penny's, the skating rink, the landscaped area where roger was buried, the fountain (which is now a children's play area where my son had a blast)....the only place i really recognized was that one entrance and the road the bikers came down. it was kinda of a bittersweet visit, to be honest.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 12-Jun-2018 at 05:01 PM. Reason: .

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Were the commemorative signs for Night in the cemetery? I’m assuming they were put up during Streiner and company’s restoration of the building in the cemetery?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Were the commemorative signs for Night in the cemetery? I’m assuming they were put up during Streiner and company’s restoration of the building in the cemetery?
    no, those signs are actually located in evans city itself, near the post office and library if i recall. it's a pretty small town, really, so it's all located fairly close together. not sure exactly who put them up or when.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    been terribly busy lately, been meaning to post these and embed them into a single post with some explanations, but it takes some time and i've been having difficulty getting them resized, etc.

for now, here's a link to my flickr account, pics are pretty self-explanatory, but i will answer any questions that i can for those who want any clarification. pics are from the evans city cemetery, original NotLD house location, evans city itself, the mall and airport from dawn, and NotLD '90 cemetery and house locations. kind of a jumbled mess, but uber-fans should have no trouble recognizing some familiar spots.

i apologize, i probably didn't take nearly enough pics and i'm not much of a photographer. didn't want to be too much of tourist i guess. couldn't get close to either house property from either NotLD film, both had no trespassing signs, and the mall is almost unrecognizable in the areas open to the public. still a super-cool experience that i'd recommend for any fan within reasonable driving distance. the coolest moments to me were the airfield (super run-down and eerily abandoned) and the evans city cemetery itself, which almost felt like walking through a dream or something.

hope you guys and gals enjoy, maybe i'll get this organized and cleaned up a bit one of these days when life slows down a bit for me.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/162198307@N08/
    Nice... Might be nice to compare against these? - http://www.homepageofthedead.com/bap..._cemetary.html

Has the Cole headstone been replaced?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I didn't even notice or remember the Cole tombstone. I did spot one that said Lucas, which I'm not 100% as to whether or not it was in the film, but my son's name is Lucas, so I need to rewatch and be on the lookout for.