Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was offered a chance to direct a commercial...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Was offered a chance to direct a commercial...

Nothing big or huge, it is for the movie theater in Hagerstown, MD that premiered Deadlands. I am most likely going to do it, but having never done a commercial before I am wondering how to approach it. Should I play it safe and do what all local TV commercials do, or should I go balls out (What I wanna Do).

My idea would be to have every type of movie genre represented in 30 seconds. Action, Horror, Comedy, Drama... whatever.

So what do you all think? Play it safe and doing something that would make Andre the Giant fall asleep or go Balls out, and push the limits?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I would not recommend you taking your balls out and using them in the commercial.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well if I did that it would have to be filmed in WIDESCREEN!
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    lol @ Dj's 2.35:1 beanbag.

Sweet dude, you should totally do the advert, and I'd say go as balls out as you can. If you can do it well, it's always best to make a good impression, just make sure you don't get carried away, but totally - try and do something interesting and kick ass, it sticks in people's minds, so it's also a good calling card for you as a filmmaker as well.

Any ideas in particular? How about zombies all creeping towards the cinema itself like they're drawn to it (like the zombies in Dawn to the mall) ... something that lets you be really creative with the visuals, as that is something that really sticks in people's minds, great visuals - obviously, a good idea behind it helps too, but for the average joe something visually striking really gets the brain engaged...that's what I've found anyway...

Sweetness...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    lol @ Dj's 2.35:1 beanbag.

That is so wrong it's... well... WRONG!

I do NOT wanna see Dj's beanbag.

...unless it's in 2.40:1.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Any ideas in particular? How about zombies all creeping towards the cinema itself like they're drawn to it (like the zombies in Dawn to the mall) ...

But if DJ did that, wouldn't they have to be olympic track stars?

United States
    Film two commercials - one the "safe" route and a second the "wild side" routine. That way you have additional material for your video portfolio.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Film two commercials - one the "safe" route and a second the "wild side" routine. That way you have additional material for your video portfolio.
    Good idea!

TO Bassman,

For the commercial I may do the Romero shamblers, but, then again who knows.

=)

To Lou,

Just knowing you wanna see my beanbag in 2.40:1 makes me raise a whole lot of questions about your sexuality.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hey man, if he said he wanted to see it in the rarely used, back in the day, uber-ratio of 2.70:1 ... then you'd have to be worried and start locking doors and checking behind you as you went into public bogs.

Ooooh, shamblers.

Atlanta, GA -- right smack in the middle of the Walking Dead apocalypse
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    So what do you all think? Play it safe and doing something that would make Andre the Giant fall asleep or go Balls out, and push the limits?
    First of all, CONGRATS!

I'm a TV Writer/Producer at a national network, so I may have some useful commercial advice. As you know, anytime you're working for someone else, you've got to make their vision happen, as much as practically possible. The only problem is, that very often, the client doesn’t know what they want or they want something bad.

In addition, non-industry types over-estimate what you can do with the money: they don't realize just how much money it costs to shoot in two locations versus one, how difficult it is (legally) to work with minors, the costs of CGI, etc. For some reason, they think that you can do The Matrix-quality FX in your basement using an old iBook in a few days. Hopefully, if this guy is a theater owner, he’ll be more clued in.

The good news is, at this stage you’re still probably bending the rules, begging favors and going guerilla, so you’ve got a lot more flexibility then other commercial shoots might have.

So, I say dream big. By all means, wave the juevos, but do like Hitchcock and storyboard the hell out of your script. Nail down every tiny detail in pre-pro; that way, not only will you not have too many surprises at the shoot and in post, but you’ll be able to get your client to sign off on a fairly accurate representation of the spot before the first frame is shot. In my experience, non-creatives have a really hard time imagining from rough storyboards or scripts. CYA with boards and animatics, where possible. After all, the script and storyboard are the cheapest part of the job.

Also, get your line-producer to nail down every release and permit before you show up to shoot. Don’t cut any legal corners in a commercial shoot. You will be nailed.

Good luck! Please post the spot for us, when you’re done! Can’t wait to see what you do!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Foster: You're not running a talk show here, Mr. Berman! You can forget pitching an audience the moral bu11sh*t they want to hear!

http://deadandhungry.vox.com/

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Any ideas in particular? :
    Well the main idea was to start with a crane shot from the Theaters huge Outside neon logo down to the walkway heading towards the box office. We see a couple purchasing tickets for a film, Since I don't want to haggle with legal Rights will probably use, Deadlands as the film they purchase tickets for.

We see the tickets print out, Price $7.00

The couple walks into the theater lobby and suddenly on the balcony that overlooks the lobby there is a sword fight going on between a zorro dressed character and a pirate.

Close-up of them with a bucket of Popcorn, Soda and Candy walking towards the biggest auditorium.

Crane shot from the Marquee that states Deadlands and suddenly both sets of doors bust open and people come out running with zombies in chase. The couple looks at each other and decides to walk down the corridor with theaters 3-10 and when they arrive at # 6.

A John McClane look alike comes rushing out the door beating on another man... screaming "First I am gonna cook ya, then I am gonna eat ya." They go over to open the doors to theater 7 and there is standing Jason (well a guy with a Chainsaw wearing a Hockey mask.)

The finally walk into a theater and sit down and the Hagerstown 10 Logo comes up on screen - tag Line - Bringing Movies to life in digital projection and sound.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    MZ - "rarely used"? That reminds me a lot of Dj's beanbag!

(y'know I had to go there for the 'questioning my sexuality' joke. )

Dj - your idea for the commercial is pretty kick-ass! Do I get to be a zombie? huh? huh? can I? huh?
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 08-May-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    MZ - "rarely used"? That reminds me a lot of Dj's beanbag!
    How would you know if they are rarely used? Have you been secretly keeping track of my sexual conquests?

They are actually going through a resting period, after being married for 3 years they were over used. (In case anyone cares. )
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Yes.

Undisclosed
    I think you should take this idea and streamline it...

If you are talking about gyb shots, they are complicated to set up, repo, test - unless you have more than one day...

I love your concept. Go handheld, keep the lighting simple, and just fill the screen with great coverage. If you must use a gyb, then keep it for one big payoff.

How much do they have to spend? Someone else mentioned getting a line producer...can you afford one? Usually these local gigs can only spend between 800 - 1000.

I don't really have all the information to guide you, but as you know I've produced a lot of television and you can start burning your day really quick the more adventurous you get. I would say take the concept and then really streamline based on your resources.

Also, when you pitch them the idea, put together some drawings (or even just use stills from movies - it's just a pitch) to really sell the idea. If you get them excited at the concept, they will want to help make it great. It's always good to get the client on board with you.

Break a leg and congrats! Since this is your first, it really only makes sense to push the limits and do something unique.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh