Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality of dawn 04's characters

United States

Quality of dawn 04's characters

I was thiking about the 04 the other day and realized that I couldn't remember any charater names. I got 3 or 4, but I couldnt remember Ving's guys.

Anna
    CJ
    I think the male lead was David. And Lewis.

I can rattel off Fran Peter Roger and Flyboy like nothing.

Fred Frank Burt Trash Scuz Suicide Tina Ernie Spider Tar Man Trash Casy and Chuck.

I could go on with other Zombie movies. I enjoyed 04 but it is a movie where I dont give a rats ass about teh characters.
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ving was Kenneth, if you couldn't remember that i question your fan support of both DAWNs.

Ana
    Kenneth
    Michael
    CJ
    Andre
    Luda
    Monica
    Luis (Ana's Husband)
    Bart
    Terry
    Frank (Nicole's father)
    Nicole
    Norma
    Tucker
    Steve
    Glen
    Chips (Dog)
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 09-May-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    I understand exactly what you mean. In my opinion, there were too many characters in Dawn04, not giving enough time to develop any of the properly. Although, I dont think that the goal of the movie makers was to develop the characters. They wanted to make an "action zombie" movie, unlike GAR, who produced a great work of art. I think that Dawn04 was in fact a great action zombie movie, but no where near the level of greatness of Dawn78. Like you said, I cant remember a lot of those character names either, cuz I didnt care about them like I do about the characters in 78, and there were too many to even try to keep track.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Ving was Kenneth, if you couldn't remember that i question your fan support of both DAWNs.

Ana
    Kenneth
    Michael
    CJ
    Andre
    Luda
    Monica
    Luis (Ana's Husband)
    Bart
    Terry
    Frank (Nicole's father)
    Nicole
    Norma
    Tucker
    Steve
    Glen
    Chips (Dog)

Maybe I have a little less free time than you. When you start throwing in Tucker and Glen its kinda like best boy and key grip.

You forgot about that fat lady zombie that was played by a man(poorly).
    I know youd rather see me gone,Than to see me the way that I am. But I am in the life anyway.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I can agree with that. Not only were the character's names quickly forgotten, but I really didn't give a damn about any of them. The only one that I kinda sided with was......*runs to IMDB.com*. Oh yeah...Michael.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the Dawn remake. It's like the writers and director just said "Who needs good characters.....we'll just throw in some fast action and hope it makes up for it."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    I can agree with that. Not only were the character's names quickly forgotten, but I really didn't give a damn about any of them. The only one that I kinda sided with was......*runs to IMDB.com*. Oh yeah...Michael.

This is one of my biggest complaints about the Dawn remake. It's like the writers and director just said "Who needs good characters.....we'll just throw in some fast action and hope it makes up for it."
    thats his name, I was going with David,lol. Sorry Mr. Emge.

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh if you didn't see this coming you must have been out takin' a whizz...

*cracks knuckles*

Ahhhhh...*ahem*...

I thought the characters were piss poor, one-dimensional throw away gags with no depth whatsoever. At best there was Michael, who actually showed some sense ... that is until he blows his load and goes along with everybody else's retarded bus plan to appease the 13 year olds.

Some of the characters literally never have their name said in the movie, particularly the blonde idiot who's only there to get her norks out and get sliced up. I think it's briefly mentioned in fleeting once, and I had to really look for that, so (as I wrote in my final year dissertation, which had a bit about Yawnorama04) she's literally there to fulfil a hollow and vapid role.

The dude with his daughter who's been bit and is gonna cark it, he comes in and within 10 minutes he's dead, I'm sorry (actually I'm not ) but you can't have an emotional scene with someone you've only just met and don't give a shiite about ... and putting in the old chestnut of "he's got a wimpy daughter" just makes you go "ugh, puh-leeeeeze".

Then there's up-his-own-arse-with-selfishness Ving-a-ling's Kenneth or whatever he was called, coming in all "f*ck all y'all" ... I mean, seriously...come the f*ck on my tits already...

The nurse woman - she shags her husband in the shower to show they have a relationship ... wow, *slow claps*, and again - for an apparently smart lady, she's pretty thick to go yomping off with that sub-par A-Team plan.

Then there's the arrogant "I don't need nobody" cut n paste black gangsta ... ooooh, wow...like I haven't seen him everywhere. Throw in a pregnant token foreigner and an ever-so-annoying dick dribble 'sounds gay and you think he's gay, but still bangs no-name chicks to keep the kiddywinks watching' who has the amazing ability to be a completely useless and annoying f*cknut without getting the shiite beaten out of him.

Then you've got the "faggit" spouting redneck fresh outta high school moron security guard ... wow, the "yoof" are thick and useless, grrrrreat. At least CJ was a bit better.

Oh, then there's the pussy Liberal security guard who likes wiping his fingers on monitors as wimpy daughter cries a bit (meanwhile we couldn't give a bollocks as we've only met her), they suddenly have a Dawson's Creek time together - even though her father carked it and everyone's an Olympic Zombie now...riiiight.

And yep ... that bloody wimpy daughter going after that bloody dog......f*ck me upside down that annoys the piss out of me.

I've seen better characterisation cut out of the side of a cereal box.

*sigh* ahhhh...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I also found the characters in the remake of Dawn of the Dead to be very poorly developed. They also missed the blind consumerist streak that the characters in the original had that I felt was a key aspect of the films satirical stance.

capncnut
    Totally in agreement with you MZ, there's nothing I can add to that.

Apart from, "Tell him to get Burt Reynolds!"

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    totally forgettable character interactions
    why try to remember their names
    all they were was a bunch of sarcastic,me me me
    ti* babies or cosmopolitan reading getting in touch
    with feminine side do*chebags

"I want to be your Tampon"
    Pete (john) Townshend

United States
    Jesus MZ..hadda let some steam off?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Jesus MZ..hadda let some steam off?
    I tell ya mate, it's a sauna in here.

United States
    I thought the characters of D04 were fine even if some plot development went missing; i.e. CJ suddenly being cool for example

I loved Steve. I did not feel I needed to get to know him anymore than I did; he was an arrogant asshole with great sarcasm. Many of the charcters lacked true depth, but I did not need anymore than they gave me.

These characters had a believability factor. They came across as real and why would I get to know them any more than they got to know each other ?

Michael was cool; little tidbits that he worked at best buy, was a divorcee who loved being a father painted a clear enough picture of who he was. His selflessness towards the others also gave me insight into what kinfd of person he is.

Ving was your typical cop. He played it cool, quiet and badass, I know he had a bro at Fort Pastor and his relationship with Andy was like a surrogate for that

I don't know. I don't see the complete lack of depth for these chacrtes anymore than Is ee the layers on the orginal. I found the DAWN 78 character of Roger to be a complete clown. Just an unreal archetype

I found the bikers to be even worse; complete clowns and totally unreal in beahaivour. Much like the girl and the dog in 2004

-

It is no secret how much I enjoyed the 2004 and how much I do not idolize the original but saying the remake completely drops the ball makes me immediately think of Dawn 78's absurdities.
    -

I disagree with not being able to be emotinally attached to Max Headrooms death. Then again, I'm a father so maybe it's relative.

Minion ? It sounds like you have some bias regarding this film and GAr's orginal. Your remarks seem almost personal.

But again, I'm not impressed with Dawn 78.
    Last edited by Mutineer; 14-May-2007 at 03:45 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Minion ? It sounds like you have some bias regarding this film and GAr's orginal. Your remarks seem almost personal.
    I could say the same with you and Yawn04, but it'd just be an empty statement.

Yes Dawn isn't perfect, it has some rough edges, but it's blatantly superior. The very fact it isn't some MTV videogame with lots of flashy colours and edits alone puts it far higher.

How could it be personal when it's a commonly held belief among the vast majority of fans and critics that the original blows the sh*tmake out of the water?

Australia
    dawn 04 had the typical cut and paste disater movie characters, but i really enjoyed it over all and michael and steves deaths i had some feeling for.

I like cannon fodder gota keep the killings up, if you like league of gentle men not the crap american movie but the great british comedy show you will not what i mean