Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 360 elite question

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Question 360 elite question

Do any 360 owners feel burned that the elite version is coming out and you've already invested so much in the original 360 like i did? I feel that MS rushed the 360, which in hindsight looks like the "prototype",to market in order to get a year head start on sony. I think the hurt themselves on two fronts by doing this. First, So much was made about the PS3's pricepoint yet the HD dvd driveless elite costs a mere 120 bucks less, so that's quickly becoming a non issue. It looks like the ps3 is the better deal. Anyone try out the blu-ray player on one yet? Second, moves like these (ahem, microtransactions anyone) hurt customer confidence in their product which is never good for business. I wish i could say nickle and diming, but it feels like they're ten and twentying us to death.

United States
    You know, not really.When I first heard about it, I thought the HD-DVD drive would be included. I think MS saw that Blu-Ray would eventually win out in the next-gen format war. Now we see that the only difference is HDMI output and a way bigger hard drive. Sure, those things are nice, but they don't change the gameplay experience. And how is the price-point a non issue? There is are 3 different models to choose from, while the PS3 has axed its 20GB model, forcing you to buy their "elite" version. If anything, MS should be applauded for giving consumers a choice.

Microtransactions sucked in the beginning, but MS has cleaned up its act considerably, charging a much more fair amount than previously. Plus Xbox Live Arcade is starting to get some really great games, and they are selling really well. This is great news, and hopefully MS will put it at the forefront of their online strategy. Live Arcade is a great outlet for independent game devs to get their voice heard.

As for PS3 being a better deal, thats arguable. Sure, it plays Blu-Ray movies, but when 85% of the game library can be found on their competitor's console (at better framerates, as well), it loses a bit of its luster. Motorstorm and Resistance ain't gonna cut it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i aint to bothered, bigger memory space is not going to sell a console for me, thats a pc gamers affiar, i stick to a nice looking console, with a cool controller adn great games, memory capability doesnt seem to big a deal, if i can save games on it i dont need bigger one.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    You know, not really.When I first heard about it, I thought the HD-DVD drive would be included. I think MS saw that Blu-Ray would eventually win out in the next-gen format war. Now we see that the only difference is HDMI output and a way bigger hard drive. Sure, those things are nice, but they don't change the gameplay experience. And how is the price-point a non issue? There is are 3 different models to choose from, while the PS3 has axed its 20GB model, forcing you to buy their "elite" version. If anything, MS should be applauded for giving consumers a choice.

Microtransactions sucked in the beginning, but MS has cleaned up its act considerably, charging a much more fair amount than previously. Plus Xbox Live Arcade is starting to get some really great games, and they are selling really well. This is great news, and hopefully MS will put it at the forefront of their online strategy. Live Arcade is a great outlet for independent game devs to get their voice heard.

As for PS3 being a better deal, thats arguable. Sure, it plays Blu-Ray movies, but when 85% of the game library can be found on their competitor's console (at better framerates, as well), it loses a bit of its luster. Motorstorm and Resistance ain't gonna cut it.

On your last point about the library i agree with you. However, i do have a problem with companies charging you for stuff that could have easily been included in the retail package. For example I bought oblivion and freaking loved it, but slowly and steadily these new downloads started coming out. Now it's arguable that shivering ilses is an expansion and therefore justified in having a 30 dollar price tag and it's a valid point. But the rest of the stuff, including knights of the nine, has me about 90 dollars into this game and they could have easily included this content. I refuse to pay another 30 bucks for the expansion out of principle ( don't get me wrong, it's taking alot of willpower) . I love my 360 and have no plans to get a ps3 due in part to the points you made earlier, but the fact remains if a person "chooses" to get their 360 equiped with the same or similar capabilities as the ps3 it would far surpass 600 bucks, that's all i was saying. Furthermore, i'm well aware that they all do it but that still doesn't make it right. Corporations are inherently money hungry.
    Last edited by darth los; 29-May-2007 at 05:29 AM.

United States
    Yeah those Oblivion downloads were a rip off, except for Shivering Isles, like you said. That game was testing the waters with the whole microtransaction thing, seeing as it was the first game to charge for downloadable stuff. The deals seem to be better now, the map pack recently released for Gears of War was easily worth the $10 I paid for it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Is the online play for gears really worth it? I own the game but stayed away due to rumors of bugs and people cheating. Give me aheads up. As it pertains to the microtransactions where do you think the market will go? Obviously if people don't buy them they'll be included in the game, but as I can attest to, when you're really into a game it's hard to say no.
    Last edited by darth los; 29-May-2007 at 05:34 AM.

United States
    im a little ticked. the hardrive sucks on the reg.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Why is that? 20 gigs not enough space? Well considering the 120m gigs u could have it does seem rather paltry.

United Kingdom
    I have to stand and say I love my 360 in the lady love kinda way, but i did feel a bit miffed at the 120 gig hard drive, I do feel this should have been on the orignal

United States
    I have about 5 gigs of my hard drive full up with TV shows (mostly babylon 5, south park, and jericho.)

but I can't download the episodes for b5 since my hard drive is to small. 495 megs for each episode . but for only 160 points a episode, thats not bad at all.

Gonna get the new hard drive when I get paid.

Never had any need or desire to get the ps3, and I don't think I'm going to.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah, if you can get the 120gig drive seperatly then whats the point of getting rid of your 360 for another one?, my brothers got a 360 now so we cna use the two to exchange the info over the cables from the 12gig to 120gig, if i ever need to, the biggest stuff on the uk marketplace is shivering isles and the fear demo, everything else is just short movie clips and the same simpsons and pirates movie trailers that have been on there since january

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Are you kidding 480 bucks for a black paint job is a steal and these fools are giving it away so cheaply... BWHAHAHAHAH!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeahhhh, but then theres the fact tat , unless you stay connected to xbox live forever, all your downloads, gamerpicks, themes, videos, games ,stuff you had to pay for will not work after the transfer, adn soem games like obliviona dn saints row aint working either, so i do believe ill be quite happy sticking with my 12gig which has only jsut gotten down to 10 gigs today after a year of owner ship, i think itll last.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Isn't it convienient how they neglect to inform people about that? but like you said that's business.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye its a funny old world how people allways forget to mention the downsides to a enw consoel aint it?