Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hardcore FPS nauseum...

United States

Hardcore FPS nauseum...

I have gamed now for at least 8 years, as far as actively seeking the medium specifically in entertainment. Of course as a kid, Asteroids was my fave.
    I have had my share of playing levels a-many , you may have too.

I seem though, to sometimes be plodding through a level I have done a few times too many, feel nauseated.
    Or get wall-eyed in the game where you are sort of lost in up & down?
    Has anybody ever had this?
    To get mildly ill from a game you have played too much?
    Once I stop, I feel okay.
    So what the moral here? Stop playing the dumb thing. Sheesh...

I have read the warnings in some of the game instructions about epileptic seizures & stuff...

But has anybody else has this?
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    yep... this happens a lot to me too. I try to ignore it, but it just keeps happening. however, the only game it happens on is Battlefield 2...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    only once, i had a migrane and was playing condemned, adn the motion of the 1st person walking really bugged me ,but only once ,up adn down and up and down....

Super Moderator

UK
    If I play a game far too much in a day I'll get kinda sickly feeling, I'll have the images and sounds imprinted on my brain until the following morning when I go to sleep, and not in a psycho way...if I spent the entire day watching boobies flop around in front of me, that's all I'd see...

Anyway, I remember putting off some essay research one Friday in favour of NFS Underground 2 and played it all freakin' day, I didn't leave my room almost the entire time, so I got really claustrophobic (my room at uni was literally 6ft by 8ft - no joking - with a corner for storage and a corridor connected to that which lead you into my room)...anyway, I felt a bit dizzy and just generally not sh*t-hot, so I stopped and went downstairs for a change of scenery and decompressed for a while.

I don't get motion sickness from games though, but I do - or at least used to - when sat in a car as a passenger, but that's worn off pretty much nowadays I think, I ended up getting it several years ago from one of my Dad's company cars which was a hand-me-down until the new car year rolled around...anyway, it was leaking carbon monoxide into the 'cabin' where you sit, so I acquired motion sickness by association with mild CM poisoning!

But now it's pretty much worn off, I hope anyway...

I'll shut up now.

United States
    We used to play Duke Nukem (remember that?) at my old job. There were probably 10 of us that played and no one ever said anything about getting ill while playing. Then I tried to get my boss to play one day. He played for less than 5 minutes and said he felt like passing out. So I guess it does happen.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed, some people have different reactions, part of it is also down to personal gaming stamina. I remember I felt like utter shiite after playing my first ever console (Mega Drive 2) Xmas Day 1993 for a couple of hours. I felt horrid, thumping headache, but was still loving it and went back for more...back when I'd just ignore the headache and power through it, now I down some Ibuprofen and chug water.

Frame-rate is about the only thing these days than can unsettle me, like if I've been playing a game on my PC which is struggling a bit and it's going a bit sluggish (or at least, not normally smooth), then I can get a bit out-of-sorts when I come away and start looking at reality again (re-adjusting to the frame-rate of real life, so-to-speak). hehe.

United States

So now I am nauseated by the repair shop...

I have had my Alienware back for under a week, after 6 months to pay off a 589 bill to get it back from the repair shop.
    Now after getting it back to running it wont read the OS disk boot. Meaning I need to purchase windows xp home again after paying for it to be installed in the shop, I have to buy the sh!t again!They told me I have to buy it, that they wouldnt re-install no charge. Or give me the disk which I asked about when I picked it up.

So so much for getting wall-eyed and puking for awhile.I was looking for ward to getting online with some good ole' Half Life 2.... F^CK!

The shop is called Hitech exchange in Rockville MD.The owners name is Anis, no kidding, Anis(Anus)...A gent from the mid east with serious issues, at least a serious social disease.The flunky I spoke to was such a c^nt...

I am bummed and pissed*not drunk* angry as friggin dog.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    damn. you guys serious?

United States
    I havent experienced this and junkie hard on Forgotten Hope mostly

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I played Tomb Raider 3 for the original PS the other day and had to stop after about 20 minutes. I just couldn't believe what a heavily pixilated mess it was or that it didn't bother me back then.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutineer View Post
    I havent experienced this and junkie hard on Forgotten Hope mostly
    What?!

United Kingdom
    I think this only used to happen me when I got link to the past on the snes, but I was on the damn console for near 12 hours a day playing that ****.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yep, that'll do it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think the worst is 3d games with really bad texture mapping, like the wall, roof and floor all look exactly the same, and especially in fps that gets buggy.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That's exactly what i'm talking about. That mostly happens with late 90's titles and the budget ones too now that i think about it.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"