Thread: Dawn of the Dead (2004) coming to HD-DVD also Shaun HD-DVD too.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Dawn of the Dead (2004) coming to HD-DVD also Shaun HD-DVD too.

On July 31st Universal studios unleashes the britsh zombie comedy Shaun of the Dead onto HD-DVD. With a brand new 1080P VC-1 transfer and DTS-HD soundtrack.

August 28th, the Unrated directors cut of Zack Snyder's DAWN of the DEAD will be hitting HD-DVD as well. Pimping the same 1080P transfer using the VC-1 codec as Shaun of the Dead.

I am curious if Anchor Bay is going to do Dawn 2004 in HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. I have heard rumors they are doing the release in HD-DVD but it will be shrunk down to 3 discs as opposed to 4 in the current DVD release. Until they announce it officially I will assume the SD version is all we will see for quite some time.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

Germany
    Got to love zombies in High Definition...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know I am definitely buying Shaun and Dawn this summer. It sucks that ROTLD1 is with MGM, because of that being with MGM it means it will end up on Blu-Ray as MGM is a division of Sony.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    I know I am definitely buying Shaun and Dawn this summer. It sucks that ROTLD1 is with MGM, because of that being with MGM it means it will end up on Blu-Ray as MGM is a division of Sony.

The way you keep raving about high def, you're really going to make me save all my money in order to get a set, aren't you? lol Oh, well, I guess i have to upgrade at some time. I don't wanna get left behind. Imagine all the people who kept holding on to their black and white sets when they refused to upgrade to color. It seems really silly now. I don't want people looking back at me the same way. I definitely don't wan't to be them. I gotta get me the 50 inch plasma though. I don't do small. If you're going to do something you might as well go all out right?

capncnut
    The only zombie movies I want on HD-DVD are the original Romero 4 as I have no time whatsoever for Yawn or Shaun. It will be interesting to see how the original Night will look in high def though.

Undisclosed
    Why would you want to see the original movies in HD? The cameras used to shoot them were too old to be able to transfer to HD very well.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    Why would you want to see the original movies in HD? The cameras used to shoot them were too old to be able to transfer to HD very well.
    I have Casablanca from 1943 and it looks great in HD. 35mm film transfers just fine to HD. DVD has 480 or so lines of resolution. HD-DVD has 1080 lines of resolution. 35mm film holds more equivalent visual information than 1080 digital scan lines. Would Dawn of the Dead 78 look as eye popping as The Matrix in HD? No, but it would have more picture detail and appear more film-like. Whether it is worth it depends on how much you are a fan of film.

Undisclosed
    Ah. Well, then, I need to get an HDTV and an HD DVD player.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've already been converted. I've seen the light !!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I don't understand HD. Regular DVDs look just fine for me. I can enjoy the movie just as well without having to see the pores in the actors' faces.

ViP

United States
    Did either of these ever pop up in HD on the movie networks (HBO, etc)? Until I get a playah, thats the only way I'll be watching them in HD.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I watched Shaun of the Dead on Cinemax HD axlish. I have seen Land on HBO-HD a couple of times but it is the R version and the aspect ratio is incorrect... same for Shaun. They use 1.85:1 as opposed to 2.35:1.

Dawn never played on HBO, Stars bought the exclusive rights for it, but it was on Stars HD a few times. Dawn was also on Sci-Fi recently, and Land of the Dead makes its Sci-Fi Premiere this fall.

However, Todays is the Day that DAWN 2004 comes out on HD-DVD. Already ordered my copy.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I have both Shaun and Dawn2K4 in HD-DVD. Both are really great transfers. Shawn is slightly better than Dawn2K4 and I really wish Dawn2K4 was the Asian cut with the nake woman instead of the lame blood on the window.

But if you have an HD-DVD player you can't go wrong with either. Dawn 78' comes out in Oct for Blueray so I'll be picking that one up too.