Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some thngs I'll never understand.

United States

Some thngs I'll never understand.

Border agent serving prison time for harboring illegals that he adopted. Sounds kind of funny huh?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=56100

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeeah, see i tend not to trust any site that says "laws against hate crime threaten your freedom".

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    yeeah, see i tend not to trust any site that says "laws against hate crime threaten your freedom".
    You do need to provide a link if you want to make claims.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    the GIF picture links on the right.e of a white guy with a zipper for lips.
    Last edited by Danny; 09-Jun-2007 at 06:22 PM.

Undisclosed

Here it is

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Terran View Post

Here it is
    That pic is (intentionally) misleading. There are no laws in America against so called hate speech. You can call anyone anything. Hate crime laws are specific to action. Such as;
    "I hate White boys (or any slur) and Now Im kicking your ass for no other reason"
    Its an additional charge when it can be proven that the motive for a ,usually violent, crime is racial, ethnic, etc prejudice. Hard to prove with a robbery. Easier to prove when 5 guys get out of a car screaming how they hate gays and beat a guy to death.

AS far as that case Its hard to tell what really happened even though it seems clear cut. because the site has an obvious agenda I am dubious. But I always am.. Who ever heard of a cop going to jail for hardly anything, especially a paperwork snafu? However the world is full of injustice. It is also pretty clear he is only adopting them to loophole them into America, because they are his nieces. But that was mentioned, but not examined.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    good read coma good read

United States

i'm gonna agree with coma here

That site totally has an agenda (I totally love the tee shirt link where the shirt said gun control means never having to say I missed...lol) and I can't really say I feel any paticular about the article because they're pushing one side of the story ...did Ann Coulter write that article or was it Bill O Reilly? In any event... a person going to jail is never a good thing and often the justice goes unserved when inadequate counsel is provided... which reminds me...

why can't our justice system be more like the military justice system?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    That pic is (intentionally) misleading. There are no laws in America against so called hate speech. You can call anyone anything. Hate crime laws are specific to action. Such as;
    "I hate White boys (or any slur) and Now Im kicking your ass for no other reason"
    Its an additional charge when it can be proven that the motive for a ,usually violent, crime is racial, ethnic, etc prejudice. Hard to prove with a robbery. Easier to prove when 5 guys get out of a car screaming how they hate gays and beat a guy to death.

AS far as that case Its hard to tell what really happened even though it seems clear cut. because the site has an obvious agenda I am dubious. But I always am.. Who ever heard of a cop going to jail for hardly anything, especially a paperwork snafu? However the world is full of injustice. It is also pretty clear he is only adopting them to loophole them into America, because they are his nieces. But that was mentioned, but not examined.

as it pertains to hate crimes, i heard tucker carlson give an interesting take. He argued that they are unfair because they punish someone more severely, if that element can be determined, and is therefore giving preferential treatment to the group that the person who was attacked belonged to. I don't know if i agree with that but there is an argument to be made for that point of view. The 14th and 5th amendments garauntee equal protection under the law regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation for that matter. To punish someone more severely because the person they attacked was targeted because they belong to one of these catagories is a violation of that principle. Unfortunately human nature makes things like this necessary. It's like affirmative action, which is basically giving a group of people preferential treatment over another because of their race. This also violates that principle, but statistics show that it is necessary because without it the job market and college admissions would be severely skewed. Certain groups just need to be protected and if adding another 5 years to a sentence because of a hate crime is a deterent then i'm all for it.

United States

good argument dl

I dont think being punished with a hate crime is a deterrent but I also dont think they they charge people with hate crimes often enough because it can be hard to prove. I suppose an argument could be made to say affirmative action itself skews schools and workplaces but I believe in it wholeheartedly in order to better diversify places. Whats funny is how diverse schools want to be and its no longer about how you grew up in New Cannan, CT and did the requisite volunteer work that Yale wanted you to do... instead schools are often looking for people with unique life experiences in order to better diversify schools in a new direction. I think thats a step forward too.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Most hate crimes are proven because at the commissionof the crime the einstein who did it is spewing racist language. There's really no other way to do it. How else are you supposed to tell what was in someone's mind?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

walking down the ho chi minh trail,vietnam.
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tied2thetracks View Post
    Border agent serving prison time for harboring illegals that he adopted. Sounds kind of funny huh?

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=56100

it says he shot at an drug smuggler? so if he did he was just doing his job. or am i on the wrong tracks???
    hold it flyboy! dont go into the stairway,dont open that door baby you'll lead them right up with you!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    as it pertains to hate crimes, i heard tucker carlson give an interesting take. He argued that they are unfair because they punish someone more severely, if that element can be determined, and is therefore giving preferential treatment to the group that the person who was attacked belonged to. I don't know if i agree with that but there is an argument to be made for that point of view. The 14th and 5th amendments garauntee equal protection under the law regardless of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation for that matter. To punish someone more severely because the person they attacked was targeted because they belong to one of these catagories is a violation of that principle. Unfortunately human nature makes things like this necessary. It's like affirmative action, which is basically giving a group of people preferential treatment over another because of their race. This also violates that principle, but statistics show that it is necessary because without it the job market and college admissions would be severely skewed. Certain groups just need to be protected and if adding another 5 years to a sentence because of a hate crime is a deterent then i'm all for it.
    An argument that could be made on the converse of that is a hate crime charge helps guarantee equal protection by seeking to avoid a violent attack in the first place
    Such as

"Look at that queer. Lets whip his ass. If we get caught its just a misdemeanor assault in the third degree. If he isnt maimed I may get thirty days if I am very unlucky. besides alot of people hate queers"

"Not everybody. A hate crime charge adds a felony on top of the pretty insignificant charge. So we can beat the crap out of him and get a nothing 3rd degree assault, but a hate crime/civil rights violation will lead to a fat stint in the pokey with many anal violations included"

"we sure know a lot about the law for a couple of meatheads"

"Agreed. Lets continue home and avoid this situation which I would engage in if not for the threat of a felony charge"

"Kiss me hard. I am so very horny, dude"

"Word"

In addition, as someone who has come to blows simply because of bigotry, it would lead to a greater sense of justice if the instigator would get reamed legally. It is, in fact, much more harrowing then a regular fight or robbery.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States
    I'm going to say Coma won that round. By punishing people who commit hate crimes with more ferocity it may stave off future hate crimes from being committed. Ironically our country talks a good game about equality but when people go an kill illegal immigrants I dont see them being charged in hate crimes.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    In addition, as someone who has come to blows simply because of bigotry, it would lead to a greater sense of justice if the instigator would get reamed legally. It is, in fact, much more harrowing then a regular fight or robbery.
    Yes it is more harrowing but the question is should the penalty be more extreme on the basis of what you are. If it is than that's subjective and the law is not supposed to be that. Like i said an aregument can be made either way and it is fun to debate stuff like this.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"