Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are plea bargains a sign of guilt or a last resort?

United States

Are plea bargains a sign of guilt or a last resort?

Personally I that there's a lot of cases where it seems like someone takes a plea deal in order to get less time than take the chance that the jury could convict them and throw the book at them. Or they're pressured by family to take a plea. But it really bothers me.

And then there's the people who get a plea deal in order to testify against someone else with a reduced sentence or whatever. I can't really trust someone who stands to benefit from talking smack about their cohort.

So howduyya feel about plea bargains?
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Undisclosed
    You forgot one other reason people go for plea bargains....I think it might be the most common reason....money.......long drawn out court trials are very expensive!....!

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States

uhhh...

I'd rather pay 50k to an attorney than have big bertha as my cell mate butt munch me in the middle of the night but i'm picky like that
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Undisclosed
    You mean youd rather pay 50k to an attorney for the CHANCE that you wont have big bertha as your cell mate.....

You could end up paying the 50k and still getting big bertha as your cell mate....

You could end up paying 50k and about half way through the trial your attorney advises you to take a plea bargain....or pay an additional 50k for a slimmer chance of not having big bertha as a cell mate...

And then theres a matter of what type of case you talking about....people are more willing to take plea bargains when the time they would have to serve is not terribly long 2-10 year type sentences....

And then theres the issue of how many of these people actually have a spare 50k lying around to pay for an attorney.....If they have a house I guess they could get a loan....but then if they have a family living in that home this would mean they would have to pay the increased rates and not the person on trial(if the person still goes to prison)....etc etc..... plea bargains can be very appealing money savers...

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

United States

i'll take my chances thank you

When it comes to the possibility of jail time i'm optimistic... I can cry on command for a jury... heck I can cry on command for my mechanic (not that it helps) ...I dont care if I get an offer for 2 months in a county jail with a private cell... I just wouldn't want to be subjected to being near bertha... I'm one of those people who absolutely would have to exhaust every possible measure including bribery before i'd be willing to subject myself to jail with the rest of the undesireables...

and i'll also promise my first unborn child and to marry whoever gets me off of whatever crime i've committed... i'll agree its hard to get good representation and that it comes at a cost and that a lot of people dont have the advantage of being able to pay that fee... I would prolly hafta mortgage or sell off my cabin to get an attorney if I wasn't related to one and know a few socially... hopefully if I ever commit a crime its sensational and I get free representation because my lawyer is a media whore =)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    I'd rather pay 50k to an attorney than have big bertha as my cell mate butt munch me in the middle of the night but i'm picky like that
    To pay 50k you would first have to HAVE 50k.

Public Defenders suck. Many through no fault of their own. Budgets cut and the cases pile up/ They walk into court, scan the file quickly, then tell you to plea.
    If you dont plea and are found guilty, you often get a punitive sentence.
    Often DAs overcharge to scare the piss out of you and get you to plea to something that is way too hars, but better than the overblown charge they cook up/

Many innocent people plea becasue their backs against the wall. They know it loks bad for them, their defense is almost Nil. so they cut their losses.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

United States

you're very stuck on the 50k thing aren't y'all...

I just picked the 50k figure outta my head... I'm sure I could find reasonable counsel for much less for any type of case... with an exception being the barracuda I hire for my divorce which of course would be paid for by my sack of swine ex...

I'm not going to go out and hire Mark Geragos or anything.... not that he has the greatest record of clients getting off lol...

United States
    Getting arrested sucks man.

United States
    The justice system as we know it would fall apart if everyone asked for a jury trial. Thus the need for plea bargains to keep things moving.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States

oh do you think so counselor?

And here I thought plea bargains were an attempt to get a conviction to keep your job and to look good to the community while undermining the intelligence of the accused and intimidating them into copping a plea. hehehe\\

United States
    I just picked the 50k figure outta my head... I'm sure I could find reasonable counsel for much less for any type of case..
    Not true at all. You often dont know your lawyer sucks until you get screwed. The reason Money keeps coming up because ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY (and lots of it)
    No money = no justice
    Been there and thats a fact.

One cannot comprehend the injustice of being broke and fighting for your freedom until you've been there. Everyone else is guessing and they are often incorrect.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Plea bargains are in place to save the municipality money. 80-90% of all cases never even get to trial . The truth is that if most cases went to trial the court system would be hopelessly swamped.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Dying

walking down the ho chi minh trail,vietnam.
    Undisclosed
    Personally I that there's a lot of cases where it seems like someone takes a plea deal in order to get less time than take the chance that the jury could convict them and throw the book at them. Or they're pressured by family to take a plea. But it really bothers me.

And then there's the people who get a plea deal in order to testify against someone else with a reduced sentence or whatever. I can't really trust someone who stands to benefit from talking smack about their cohort.

So howduyya feel about plea bargains?

i think sometimes they do actually work. my dad was in court on monday charged with assault,(he didnt hit no one) and he plea bargained to get ''bound over'' for 12 months, if he gets into any trouble in thease 12 months he is back in court to pay £500.so yes they do have some good to em! (he didnt admit assault,he admitted ''disturbing'' the peace in stead.) because the court wanted him to admit to something.

its a long,long story i cant be arsed to explain!
    Last edited by flyboy; 24-Jun-2007 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    hold it flyboy! dont go into the stairway,dont open that door baby you'll lead them right up with you!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    i think sometimes they do actually work. my dad was in court on monday charged with assault,(he didnt hit no one) and he plea bargained to get ''bound over'' for 12 months, if he gets into any trouble in thease 12 months he is back in court to pay £500.so yes they do have some good to em! (he didnt admit assault,he admitted ''disturbing'' the peace in stead.) because the court wanted him to admit to something.

its a long,long story i cant be arsed to explain!
    A plea bargain is an admission of guilt either way. Just make sure to what it is you are admitting to. Many people who get probation deal feel they got away with something when in reality it has all the reprocuscions of a felony or whatever except jailtime, including disenfranchisement in some cases.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    if your pops never assaulted anyone how did they arrest him and have enough evidence to take him to court?