Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone believe in ghosts?

capncnut
    Okay, here's a few famous ghost pics that are blatantly fake even though they are still considered real by the experts.

The ghost monk - oh c'mon now!

The Tulip Staircase apparitions - couple of pranksters dressed up in sheets?

The Bachelors Grove tombstone woman - to beautifully shot to be real.

Boothill Cemetary ghost - some ol' cowboy taking a s**t in the shrubs?

Do these folks think we're stupid or what?

United States

Tip Toe through the Tulip Staircase...

Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Okay, here's a few famous ghost pics that are blatantly fake even though they are still considered real by the experts.

The ghost monk - oh c'mon now!

This photo in particular, is by all reaserch that I have read legitimate Capt...
    The Tulip Staircase apparitions - couple of pranksters dressed up in sheets?

The Bachelors Grove tombstone woman - to beautifully shot to be real.

Boothill Cemetary ghost - some ol' cowboy taking a s**t in the shrubs?

Do these folks think we're stupid or what?
    I didnt think one way or another about ghosts, until I saw some at my great- great grand parents house in Linthicum MD (Linthicum is part of my family tree)...The house was built around 1800 and was a makeshift hospital (civil war)and a place of refuge on the underground railroad during emancipation.
    I would be open to the explanations of seeing a chest of drawers walking by itself, a man dragging a bag across the back lawn...I saw a woman (mightve been my great great great cousin) running up and down the staircase.
    I think that if you see something, and have a certain type of intuition, you can be aware of a 'presence' ...
    Lastly, when I was going to sleep one night in the Linthicum house (I was 7 or so) I felt a hand (?) squeeze my hand , it was cold and nearly crushed my bones. My hand hurt for a few days after.

Thats why I am not surprised of photos like the Tulip Staircase. I saw that photo on the cover of a ghost book shortly after my experience as a child, it made my hair stand. Later on , after reading about that picture, I found that all forensic testing on the original negative came to the conclusion its not touched up or altered.I dont remember ...Spirits.com or something.
    I have my belief from personal experience. If I had not seen those things , I would not believe.
    The other pics are obviously kitchy gags.

Anyway, its creepy, but fascinating.
    I dont go for the shows they have now with the lights balls and stuff.
    Last edited by DVW5150; 14-Jun-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Ghost ate my bagel.
    "Goodbye , I am gone."

United States
    Interesting theory Maximus...

In my readings there's a difference between ghosts and demons... ghosts can be controlled by demons which are more entities whereas ghosts used to be actual people... I kinda feel like when you're being watched maybe its a ghost but I do enjoy believing in ghosts I love to be scared of stuff and the supernatural is way too cool... i'm of course skeptical but hey its all in good fun...

kinda like going to a star trek convention in star wars regalia
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DVW5150 View Post
    I saw a woman (mightve been my great great great cousin) running up and down the staircase.
    When I was much younger, my aunt and uncle moved into a house and at the time they had the upstairs and an old lady called Nell had the downstairs. My aunt and uncle are not so complimentary when old Nell is discussed but I always found her to be a sweet old lady.

So a couple of years later when I'm about 8 I go into the kitchen and see Nell standing there. I can remember this like yesterday, "Hello sweetheart, what are you doing down here?" She was even making tea. "Would you like a drink love? Awww you're such a sweet little boy, how about a biscuit?", etc. This conversation probably lasted a good ten minutes but when I got my OJ from the fridge, I went back upstairs.

"Where the bloody hell have you been?"
    "Oh, I was just talking to Nell."
    "Nell? Impossible, she died last week."

People can believe what they want to believe in, that conversation was real and certainly not something my mind created. She was a real person, and the bright kitchen light reflected off her spectacles - but she was dead!
    Last edited by capncnut; 14-Jun-2007 at 05:10 PM.

United States
    I do hate shows that discuss the 'balls of light' and anything where they use the term 'orb' I mean how desperate are you to find proof of something that you begin to claim those are anything supernatural... bah!

So dvw... you wont share your alien abduction story but ghosts are okay? lol... thanks for the story though it makes me feel less insane...

I do think some people have a sort of sixth sense and can see or sense spirit activity but that there's a bunch of loons out there who pretend to which forces me to question the validity of most peoples experiences. I have the tendency to believe that animals posess that sixth sense because my dog would always react oddly whenever she felt something was there and it always happened when I was freaking out because I felt like there was something there too...

I also try to look for the explanation for hearing things at night in me mums historic home... doors closing, stair well steps... I mean old homes are drafty and old so they'll make more noises than a brand new home. There were other things that are less explainable that went on but I suppose perhaps a medical condition could explain them. eh...
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post

I do think some people have a sort of sixth sense and can see or sense spirit activity but that there's a bunch of loons out there who pretend to which forces me to question the validity of most peoples experiences.
    I think your on to something that some people are just more in tune and can sense "things", although whether they're spirits or not is up for debate. if people want to explain it as ghosts, cool. I think it's just human nature, and there's ample proof throughout history, to have to have a supernatural explanation for things we don't understand....yet. Thousands of years ago we couldn't comprehend what lightning was so it was just explained as Zues being angry and hurling lightning bolt from atop mount olympus. If someone did some thing out of the ordinary they were called a witch and burned. If there was a drought, it was thought that something was done to anger the gods. People just don't like the unknown. Which is why so many of us fear death. Strangely enough despite all our differences, death is the one thing that unites us, the one experience that we all are bound to share one day.

United States
    Together we stand divided, but united we all fall... kinda a morbid thing that they had printed on my high school ...

I think we all have a sixth sense but that it dissipates through time as people begin to subscribe to different beliefs or as stress of everyday life takes over... you lose your feel for things y'know?

I'm so looking forward to senility if I make it that far...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You'll make it, just pace yourself. Slow and steady wins the race. The stars that burn brightest burn fastes. Okay, I'm out of cliches but you know what i mean.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I've always believed in ghosts, but i don't think they believe in me...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Short answer NO
    Long answer..What you said
    Visit Waverly Hills Sanatorium
    http://www.therealwaverlyhills.com/home.htm

This place will change your mind to yes very quick.
    One of the most haunted locations in the U.S.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    No, there are no such things as ghosts and there never will be. It's funny how people always have different visions of ghosts, but few of them seem to fit together. It's funny how all pictures of ghosts seem awfully faked. I could do the very same thing in my photolab RIGHT NOW, and people would buy it.

As Kaos said. If there are ghosts around, then there have always been ghosts around, and that means there wouldn't be one unhaunted place in the entire world. Just imagine cities. People die there all the time. Imagine Rome or Istanbul! Two very very old cities! They'd be LITTERED with ghosts and paranormal activities! There'd be more ghosts than humans. Rome, at a time, had a million citizens in time of the romans. Think of that. Most of those people probably died there and were replaced by another million, for millenia this went on until now. Right now there's around 3 million people living in Rome, but it'd also be the home of around 50 million ghosts. Haha, says I, anyone who believes that is just nuts.

All those "haunted places", like Waverly Hills Sanatorium can go **** themselves. Go to Rome. Rome has over 50 million ghosts, if we are to believe in them! And that's just Rome. Imagine Athens, Istanbul, Alexandria etc. etc. and all other old cities. Yet, unsurprisingly, tourists do not get spooked in Rome anymore than they get spooked back home. I wonder why, hmm? Maybe because ghosts are bull****?

I believe that ghosts, just like the notions of ghosts, are something we manufacture in our own mind. When the wook settles in, that's a ghost. When the wind knocks something over, that's a ghost. When we dream something and then can't remember if it's true or not, that's a ghost. The human mind is a fascinating thing, more advanced than anyone can ever comprehend. We can instill illusions in our own minds unwillingly. And THIS is the explanation for ghosts. Our mind creates them, but they aren't there. There have been times when I have imagined things, strange things, and they seemed ever so real. But afterwards I thought about it and realized that it's just my mind.

Just because our mind functions they way we're used too 99% of the time, doesn't mean it doesn't have it's own leaps of logic.

EDIT: Also, as usual, if anyone believes that going on a no-refunds, cash only tour on the Waverly Hills Sanatorium, organized by the owners, is such a good idea might be very interested in a bridge I'm willing to sell.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Oct-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    No need to be rude...
    And your argument about old cities doesn't make much sense to me...
    Everyone knows that only a few are selected to be ghosts, and who's to say how long spirits can remain detectable on this astral plain?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Everyone knows that only a few are selected to be ghosts, and who's to say how long spirits can remain detectable on this astral plain?
    What what what? Are you serious? "Everyone knows"? Who gets to "select" ghosts? This is just more proof for me that ghosts do not exist, because there is noway any reliable source could EVER have proven that to you, yet you accept it as fact.

Either there are ghosts, or there aren't ghosts. And if people die and become ghosts (or don't) we either have the entire ****ing planet overcrowded with ghosts, or we don't have any at all. Geez, I wonder which sounds more likely.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody nora, that Waverly Hills place would be sh*t me up big style, but also awe me - that place would be ideal for the definitive mental asylum horror movie right there.

As for ghosts, I neither believe nor disbelieve.

Administrator

England
    Part of me - the logical side - just doesn't believe in ghosts. But another part of me does, especially when you here perfectly sane people tell you what they've seen!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan