Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anyone believe in ghosts?

Super Moderator

United States
    A certain amount of incredulity is a good thing, Ned...especially with regards to the existence of ghosts, ghoulies, conspiracy theories, governments you can trust and girls who claim they're virgins, however being dogmatic and absolutist about admitting the possibility is very unscientific.

Really, zealotry in the guise of 'right-minded' religion or 'right-minded' science is just the same old bullsh1t.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    A certain amount of incredulity is a good thing, Ned...especially with regards to the existence of ghosts, ghoulies, conspiracy theories, governments you can trust and girls who claim they're virgins, however being dogmatic and absolutist about admitting the possibility is very unscientific.
    Why would I believe in such things that can easily be explained by mere science? Why would I believe in illogical fairytales? Especially when I haven't experienced anything that can even remotely put some credibility here.

Let me put it this way:

When you understand why you, yourself, do not believe in Zeus, or Amon-Ra or werewolves, then you will understand why I don't believe in ghosts.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Why would I believe in such things that can easily be explained by mere science? Why would I believe in illogical fairytales? Especially when I haven't experienced anything that can even remotely put some credibility here.

Let me put it this way:

When you understand why you, yourself, do not believe in Zeus, or Amon-Ra or werewolves, then you will understand why I don't believe in ghosts.
    How dare you mock the great Zeus!!

He will send out his legion of werewolves to eat you!

Super Moderator

United States

Let me put it this way:

There's a keen difference between the act of believing and that of actively disbelieving. One is usually done in the attempt to uphold one's own comfy little idea of how the universe 'must surely' work and is supported by rigid if/then statements.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    There's a keen difference between the act of believing and that of actively disbelieving. One is usually done in the attempt to uphold one's own comfy little idea of how the universe 'must surely' work and is supported by rigid if/then statements.
    Of course there is a difference between believing and disbelieving! The words even imply it. Infact, I would go so far as to claim that they are opposites...

I don't believe in ghosts, and think it's a silly notion. There's nothing else to it. There's no dogmatic absolutism at work here. I just don't believe in ghosts, because they are no more real to me than werewolves or Zeus (or God). To me they are silly and belong in child's books. Simple as that.

If ghosts were real, then paranormal activity would have forced people out of Rome, Istanbul, Athens or London long ago. But there are no ghosts there, so there you go.

Ghosts generally do not appear in places until they are abandoned for practical reasons. This is no coincidence, but there's nothing paranormal about it. It's just the way we imagine ghosts: In abandoned buildings.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Oct-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Administrator

England
    If ghosts were real, then paranormal activity would have forced people out of Rome, Istanbul, Athens or London long ago. But there are no ghosts there, so there you go.

Ghosts generally do not appear in places until they are abandoned for practical reasons. This is no coincidence, but there's nothing paranormal about it. It's just the way we imagine ghosts: In abandoned buildings.
    On a windy day, you wouldn't notice someone blowing at you from a few feet away. On a still day, you might.

However, I have the same skeptical view as you do most of the time, but it does seem a lot of rational people have seen a lot of irrational things!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    On a windy day, you wouldn't notice someone blowing at you from a few feet away. On a still day, you might.

However, I have the same skeptical view as you do most of the time, but it does seem a lot of rational people have seen a lot of irrational things!
    Even rational people have irrational moments.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    Later I believed our cabin in Canada was haunted when I was making some food and a bottle of mustard moved across the counter towards me.
    I hate it when that happens. However, I have found that this is caused by a thin layer of moisture on the bottom of the bottle which acts as a lubricant and allows the bottle to slide across the surface of the counter.

-stray-

I currently do not believe in ghosts.

Administrator

England
    Even rational people have irrational moments.
    True...

OK, our neighbours two doors down. One night the woman woke up and saw the figure of an old man in their room. Needless to say, she screamed and woke the house up.

On talking to her husband, he said he'd seen the figure a number of times before, but didn't mention it as he didn't want to alarm her.

So:-
    1) They're mad.
    2) They're lying.
    3) Something odd is happening.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i do not believe in ghosts either. in fact, i have no belief in the supernatural at all (bigfoot finally convinced me of this during one of our walks).

it is kind of funny that i don't, i have had a life long interest in monster/ghost stories/folklore,etc. of all kinds; but as for actually believing in them, i don't.
    Last edited by Mike70; 27-Oct-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So are you saying you do not believe in ghosts, however, you do believe in werewolves?

I hope so.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    So are you saying you do not believe in ghosts, however, you do believe in werewolves?

I hope so.
    as for werewolves - do i believe a person can literally change into a wolf? no. but if you were to ask me if believe in lycanthropy, the answer would be yes.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Perhaps there's just too many things creating "backround noise" nowdays that there didn't used to be before. There's no doubt that our ancestors were much more in tune with nature, because they had no other choice. We've all but abandoned that aspect of our being and most of us rarely come into contact with nature or the elements.

Maybe if there wasn't all this technology around we'd experience more supernatural events.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    True...

OK, our neighbours two doors down. One night the woman woke up and saw the figure of an old man in their room. Needless to say, she screamed and woke the house up.

On talking to her husband, he said he'd seen the figure a number of times before, but didn't mention it as he didn't want to alarm her.

So:-
    1) They're mad.
    2) They're lying.
    3) Something odd is happening.
    Geez, that one is easy. It's fully possible for a person, while waking up, to be stuck in a state of mind between dream and reality. This is true. During this state you do not have full control of your body (because it's sleeping!) but you have full control of your mind. Even though IT is TOO still dreaming. Which means you can see your surroundings, plus whatever your mind puts there. Such as a strange man.

They don't have to be mad, lying and there's certainly nothing strange going on. The mind just played tricks on them. Coincidence that they saw the same person?

Besides, this sort of thing always seem to happen to "other people". Very strange. Until I've experienced it myself, I just won't buy it. Ghosts? Bah. Might as well believe in werewolves.

Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    No, but I assume most people do not believe in at least all three of those things I mentioned. Which is why I used them as examples. Zeus to you is God to me. We both laugh at the mere prospect. Werewolves to you are ghosts to me. Again, we laugh at the mere suggestion.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 27-Oct-2008 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They don't have to be mad, lying and there's certainly nothing strange going on. The mind just played tricks on them. Coincidence that they saw the same person?

Good point, A person can have a totally different recollection of an event than someone else who witnessed it but it doesn't mean he's lying. He could just be crazy.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"