Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WOW! BBFC ban Man Hunt 2

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Here here to that "right to say it" thingy.

But look at GTA and games like that, you can set fire to people, gun them down, run them over, rob them, beat them up. Manhunt 2 is just a little bit higher up the bar than that.

I think gamers should be able to decide the merit of the game, not unresearched, tabloid hysteria. All this talk, but the game hasn't really been seen in action that much thus far. Things always sound worse than they actually are. When I played Manhunt I wondered what all the fuss was about, I really did.

As for the laws in place, they're adequate, people just need to stick by them, but according to recent research most parents are paying attention to the ratings. If they still buy their kids the game, well, the industry simply cannot do anymore than they already are. They do plenty to uphold their end of the deal, if parents still give their kids the games - whether paying attention to the ratings or not - then that's their fault, not the fault of the industry.

I too feel that the laws on the books are adequate when enforced, the problrem there is they're not. if The gov't wants to have a hissy fit about games getting into the hands of minors than they should concentrate on doing more in between games, like sting operations on stores to catch people who do sell this content to minors much like the do with cigarettes and alcohol. I know it sounds corny but that's how bad they're acting. This would discourage people from doing it because they know the gov't is watching. the only other alternative is to lock up the parents and that's not going to happen. Also you're right this type of content does exist already but in gta it's optional in this game it's the whole objective of the game. The gamer is being required to do it.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Required to act violent or not, it's still the gamer's choice to play the game or not, it should also be down to the gamer how many units get sold, not because of bans. No wonder it's been "withdrawn", it's a scapegoat now, even Italy was trying to hop on the bandwagon, but R* have pulled it out and will wait for sh*t to cool down again. It's pathetic how governments jump on silly little bandwagons like this, especially without properly looking at the facts and the industry and the culture of gaming.

I duno about America, but here in the UK there are often "sting" operations where they take kids and send them into stores to try and buy games above their age (same with movies and vices), and I think it was there, or at least partly from there, that it was proven that there has been a definite increase in shops checking for ID rather than just selling them.

Some simple staff training and you're sorted, but if you've got some drop out drongo too stupid to ask, then that's the fault of the drongo, not the games maker, although Jack Thompson and co would have you believe that, or attempt to anyway.

Like I said before, I can't remember where from, but it was proven that people are paying attention to ratings on games much more now, than before, both in stores and as parents.

Basically, the games industry has done all it can.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Required to act violent or not, it's still the gamer's choice to play the game or not, it should also be down to the gamer how many units get sold, not because of bans. No wonder it's been "withdrawn", it's a scapegoat now, even Italy was trying to hop on the bandwagon, but R* have pulled it out and will wait for sh*t to cool down again. It's pathetic how governments jump on silly little bandwagons like this, especially without properly looking at the facts and the industry and the culture of gaming.

I duno about America, but here in the UK there are often "sting" operations where they take kids and send them into stores to try and buy games above their age (same with movies and vices), and I think it was there, or at least partly from there, that it was proven that there has been a definite increase in shops checking for ID rather than just selling them.

Some simple staff training and you're sorted, but if you've got some drop out drongo too stupid to ask, then that's the fault of the drongo, not the games maker, although Jack Thompson and co would have you believe that, or attempt to anyway.

Like I said before, I can't remember where from, but it was proven that people are paying attention to ratings on games much more now, than before, both in stores and as parents.

Basically, the games industry has done all it can.
    I'm surprised many games are sold to minors by chains such as gamestation at all, here's why. Most of the clerks who work at these stores are just like us, rabid gamers. They have to know that. Getting these mature theme games into the hands of children is only going to hurt us adult gamers when games like manhunt come out. You would think that as gamers themselves they would recognize that and be even more vigilant about it because it affects us gamers directly.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Not necessarily are they going to be gamers, you probably get a lot of switched off folk, although GameStation appears to be a place more inhabited by gamers...but young folk are much more likely to be gamers, especially blokes.

I think those who are/have/would sell games to minors are more likely to be older or female or just morons, and morons could be anybody really. Some people are really switched off and can't be bothered to pay attention.

Although, hehe, getting asked for ID when you're 19, in town on a day-off from university trying to buy "Kingpin" years after it originally came out is embarrassing and/or annoying...but that was the last time I was asked for ID, so I guess I look shagged out enough (as in tired) to be an adult, but I guess it meant/means I look younger than I am, which will pay off when I'm older...

Blimey, TANGENT or what?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not necessarily are they going to be gamers, you probably get a lot of switched off folk, although GameStation appears to be a place more inhabited by gamers...but young folk are much more likely to be gamers, especially blokes.

I think those who are/have/would sell games to minors are more likely to be older or female or just morons, and morons could be anybody really. Some people are really switched off and can't be bothered to pay attention.

Although, hehe, getting asked for ID when you're 19, in town on a day-off from university trying to buy "Kingpin" years after it originally came out is embarrassing and/or annoying...but that was the last time I was asked for ID, so I guess I look shagged out enough (as in tired) to be an adult, but I guess it meant/means I look younger than I am, which will pay off when I'm older...

Blimey, TANGENT or what?!
    I get carded myself everytime i go buy some liquor and i take it as a compliment. The only people who have a problem with being carded are those who aren't supossed to be buying the stuff in the first place.

Super Moderator

UK
    I remember once I bought a 15 rated film when I was 14 (The Fog), and then when I was 15 I tried to buy three 15 rated films and got asked for ID, which - when you were that young, at that time in UK history, you don't have ID...and yet I'd bought a 15 rated film mere minutes beforehand...odd.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I remember once I bought a 15 rated film when I was 14 (The Fog), and then when I was 15 I tried to buy three 15 rated films and got asked for ID, which - when you were that young, at that time in UK history, you don't have ID...and yet I'd bought a 15 rated film mere minutes beforehand...odd.
    The only id you'd have is your high school id. But yeah that is weird. Alot of cliques have their designated buyer, someone who looks older, that does all that stuff. Others just have a dependable adult they go to and just give them some of whatever they would buy. Not that i have any personal experience with that.

Super Moderator

UK
    I always got my folks to buy me films like Day of the Dead or Evil Dead or whatever, the staff flat out knew it was for me (skulking in the background ), but as an adult is buying, then it's all legal. There's no real harm in it, you just can't supply directly to a minor, but if the parent is fine with it and the kid isn't running up the walls screaming, then who cares really? That was the case with me.

We didn't even have high school ID. A few months after that incident they did a card to show when we were 18 on it, but that was ages after, otherwise you have absolutely no ID beyond a passport maybe, but those are so pricey you don't wanna be carrying that around with you all the time, you'd lose it or have it chaffed by some chav seeking to ID rape you or something...bastards.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think that most of the time that's the only time where it's okay, if the parents review content and deem it okay for their childs viewing/playing. It might technically be illegal but it happens all the time. I don't think you would say that viewing zombie films at a young age ruined you (much ). Here in the states it's common for rednecks to take their children, sometimes as young as 8 years old, hunting and teach them how to use guns.

Super Moderator

UK
    I started watching horror movies when I was 9 years old, first with Alien (if memory serves) and then progressed onto zombie films when I was 14. In fact, last month it was 10 years since I discovered who George Romero was (in a magazine article about him, in "SFX").

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I started watching horror movies when I was 9 years old, first with Alien (if memory serves) and then progressed onto zombie films when I was 14. In fact, last month it was 10 years since I discovered who George Romero was (in a magazine article about him, in "SFX").
    horror movies definitely did something to me when i was a kid. I was constantly on the lookout for monsters. Happy anny by the way.