Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quote from Day remake's FX guy, Dean Jones

ViP

Undisclosed

Thumbs down Quote from Day remake's FX guy, Dean Jones

From Fangoria #255:

Jones on the zombies of the Day remake and then about the remake itself:
    They move more horrifically as well, things such as the original Dawn of the Dead were a bit too clownish, and this goes in a much more serious direction ... The hardcore Romero fans are going to be reasonably surprised. I believe they're going to appreciate the hard work and effort that went into this. The script and the characters are different, and this film is more believable in terms of their situation.
    First off, I'm glad I was on the crapper when I read this because it really helped things move along. If what I saw in the trailer is true, then I don't find the logic in describing these zombies as more serious when they're flying out of windows and such. And as for the film's situation being more believable? I found the original's timeline and situation to be pretty plausible and well thought out, as it were. It sounds like he's describing the original as having a health club and roller rink underground. With all due respect for the work and effort, this man sounds like a tool. And this film looks and smells to be what I produced whilest reading this article.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    He's probably just doing the mandatory bull**** talk every cast and crew member has to do when a film nears completion. You never ever catch a crewmember say "This film is Ok. I mean, it's not as good as the original, but it's Ok I guess."

ViP

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    He's probably just doing the mandatory bull**** talk every cast and crew member has to do when a film nears completion. You never ever catch a crewmember say "This film is Ok. I mean, it's not as good as the original, but it's Ok I guess."
    Good call. And even if there were are few honest folk amongst the crew, I doubt Fangoria would print such a contradiction in an article promoting the film.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereval View Post
    Good call. And even if there were are few honest folk amongst the crew, I doubt Fangoria would print such a contradiction in an article promoting the film.
    I'm just fed up with it. Like Bruce Willis for the new Die Hard film. He said he thought it was better than the first one. Well, that's exactly what he said when the second and third one were released too! And I've heard lots of other people say it too. I bet you twenty bucks that when Indiana Jones 4 gets released, Harrison Ford will say the exact same thing.

That said, this Dean Jones took a pretty poor path to upbeat his film. I mean, you can't make YOUR film seem better by downgrading another film (the original). And I don't see what was so unrealistic about the originals, altough I can agree with him on the clown movements of the Dawn film. Night and Dawn has my least favourite zombie performances, except for Stephen of course!

Super Moderator

UK
    Hardcore fans eh? So - us - basically.

Methinks he's in for a shock, GAR's Day - aka the one and only Day of the Dead - is a superb film. The zombies are horrific to say the least, ghastly even, and how is Day not a serious film?! It's so dark and can be a bit depressing if you wanna look at it that way, it was made during the dark years of the 1980s in Americaland for cripes sake!

As for Dawn of the Dead, those zombies look like zombies to me, they aren't leaping out of windows or choosing to be VEGE-F*CKING-TARIANS!!!

Indeed, dissing other people's work to try and big up something you know is a sack of sh*t is just low, I mean really low. I can't wait to suffer sitting through this sack of crap so I can specifically take the piss out of specific moments, and to 100% justify my hatred of it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indeed, dissing other people's work to try and big up something you know is a sack of sh*t is just low, I mean really low. I can't wait to suffer sitting through this sack of crap so I can specifically take the piss out of specific moments, and to 100% justify my hatred of it.
    When people talk about a project they're currently working on they're given a bunch of talking points, not unlike politicians. They stick with what they're supposed to say no matter how ridiculous they may sound, like "there's been remarkable progress in iraq." Them basically dissing gar's zombies sound just as ridiculous and is a telltale sign of the quality of their work that they have to bring someone else's product down instead of building up their own.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    When people talk about a project they're currently working on they're given a bunch of talking points, not unlike politicians. They stick with what they're supposed to say no matter how ridiculous they may sound, like "there's been remarkable progress in iraq." Them basically dissing gar's zombies sound just as ridiculous and is a telltale sign of the quality of their work that they have to bring someone else's product down instead of building up their own.
    It's zombies in a mall ... how many other flicks are like that?

It's like Dead Rising, although they say it's in no way connected, you flat out know they watched Dawn of the Dead a hell of a lot while making that game.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereval View Post
    First off, I'm glad I was on the crapper when I read this because it really helped things move along. If what I saw in the trailer is true, then I don't find the logic in describing these zombies as more serious when they're flying out of windows and such. And as for the film's situation being more believable? I found the original's timeline and situation to be pretty plausible and well thought out, as it were. It sounds like he's describing the original as having a health club and roller rink underground. With all due respect for the work and effort, this man sounds like a tool. And this film looks and smells to be what I produced whilest reading this article.
    Oh man, this is some good stuff!!

United States

ok guys, here it is in all it's "horror"

just in case anyone wants to read the whole ghastley thing here it is:

wow, sorry thats a lil large
    Last edited by Trancelikestate; 04-Jul-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    You think that's big enough buddy?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Undisclosed
    The more i read about this film the more i am convinced that it will be VERY VERY funny. But for all the wrong reasons.
    And to Special Effects 'wiz' Dean Jones: I know who i think looks clownish and it aint Savini's zombies.
    Still good luck with your SFX career. "this goes in a much more serious direction" PMSL.

"If possible sir, only.. if.. possible"

Super Moderator

UK
    Tell me about it, the funniest (yet most tragic for filmmaking) article I've ever read.

He's supposed to be an FX "wiz", yet he doesn't even know that 28 Days Later IS NOT A F*CKING ZOMBIE FILM - THEY ARE "INFECTED", I.E. THEY NEVER F*CKING DIE, THEREFORE THEY ARE NOT GODDAMN ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jesus Christ tap dancing across the moon!

They flat out know their film is sh*t, so they attack someone else's work which has (rightly so) achieved cult status, success and a place in cinematic history (and I see that GAR is #79 in the Total Film "top 100 directors of all time" list - NICE )

United States
    for some reason i wanna see it real bad. it looks like contagium in those pix, but hey, for some reason i really wanted to see that to.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by trancelikestate View Post
    for some reason i wanna see it real bad. it looks like contagium in those pix, but hey, for some reason i really wanted to see that to.
    You're a glutton for self-torture, eh?

Yeah, figured as much.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    28 Days Later falls within the zombiefilm category since it uses the typical genre clichés, plotpoints and iconographies of the genre. Only difference is the little technicality about the infected vs. zombies.