Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: back to the future 1,2,3...

Super Moderator

UK
    Darth - "the enchantment under the sea" dance I think...something under the sea anyway. There was a great Family Guy spoof of it recently.

Bassman - "weight has nothing to do with it".

(woo, post quadruple-seven! )

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Enchantment under the Sea feels right.

In Superman 3, there's a similar dance with the exact same song. Kinda interesting. Came two years earlier tho.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Darth - "the enchantment under the sea" dance I think...something under the sea anyway. There was a great Family Guy spoof of it recently.

Bassman - "weight has nothing to do with it".

(woo, post quadruple-seven! )
    Correct !!

What were the four "power" sources used to fuel the delorean?
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i think its obligatory to have a back to the future spoof once per family guy season.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm sorry to say this, but, this is the only trilogy that beats the GAR trilogy (when it WAS a trilogy) for me, and, as most of you know Dawn is my favorite movie of all time, so that's saying something about the BTTF trilogy.

Most well thought out and probably flawless series of films. Ya know, aside from the fact that Jennifer is played by two different actress'.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Most well thought out and probably flawless series of films. Ya know, aside from the fact that Jennifer is played by two different actress'.
    It's actually got quite a few plot errors and other little mishaps. One of the biggest that I know of is in the second film. I'll try to explain....

When Biff steals the Delorean he travels to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac. He returns the Delorean to the future so that Doc and Marty won't know it was taken.....but the future is still as it was when he left. If Biff giving his younger self the almanac would instantly create an alternate 1985, why would the future be the same when he returned? The alternate timeline doesn't start until Doc and Marty return to 1985 for some reason.

Maybe they should have kept the original title of "Paradox" because that one is obvious....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, Bassman. Infact, the second he handed over the almenac to the younger Biff, the time machine would probably disappear. Thus rendering the handover a paradoxal event in the first place. Then the universe would probably have blown up!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yeah, Bassman. Infact, the second he handed over the almenac to the younger Biff, the time machine would probably disappear. Thus rendering the handover a paradoxal event in the first place. Then the universe would probably have blown up!
    I guess that gar is not the only one guilty of inconsistencies in his films. I have to admit guys, that one went right over my head.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    It's actually got quite a few plot errors and other little mishaps. One of the biggest that I know of is in the second film. I'll try to explain....

When Biff steals the Delorean he travels to 1955 to give himself the sports almanac. He returns the Delorean to the future so that Doc and Marty won't know it was taken.....but the future is still as it was when he left. If Biff giving his younger self the almanac would instantly create an alternate 1985, why would the future be the same when he returned? The alternate timeline doesn't start until Doc and Marty return to 1985 for some reason.

Maybe they should have kept the original title of "Paradox" because that one is obvious....
    It takes time for the future to change. Remember when Marty shoved George out of the way of Loraine's Dad's car? Right then and there the picture of Marty and his brother & sister should have erased and he should have just disappeared. But it took some time because Marty still had the chance to get his parents together at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance because he was still in the original timeline. It would transform over into the alternate timeline AFTER George & Loraine were supposed to kiss but didn't.

Now, when old Biff returns from 1955 to 2015 you can see that he's already feeling effects of the timeline altering; when he steps out of the delorean he's having pains in his chest meaning his life is deteriorating rapidly, and apparently there is even a deleted scene saying that Biff died at some point in the 90's.

The reason 2015 didn't automatically changed into an alternate timeline is:
    There is still the ORIGINAL timeline, in which Marty & The Doc are in; followed by the alternate timelines, which are where they would be the next time they went back. Doc explains this in his garage on the chalk board. They don't see the new timeline until the next time they "jump" through time; which is the case every time.

(bold because it's important to explanation)
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 09-Jul-2007 at 04:55 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman raised a great point I'd never thought of, then Mike swooped right in and tidied it all up, crisis averted, my youth has not been wasted after all!

Indeed, you see old Biff beginning to conk out, I think there's even a deleted scene where you see him looking at his own hand fading away or he fades away completely when he's gotten back to 2015...not sure, I just have this odd memory of that ... whether it existed or not, who knows ... if it doesn't, I'll blame someone coming travelling through time to screw me over.

Also, think about the first film, when Marty finally starts fading, he takes quite a while to go about it, as do his siblings in the photo, they gradually fade away...although for some reason in portions, rather than generally (the latter would make most sense ... but it'd probably be rather tricky to achieve that effect back in the 1980s ... now it'd be a piece of piss)...so in other words, even greater kudos to the BTTF guys for pulling off monster effects with tools essentially akin to a pestle & mortar.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    The reason 2015 didn't automatically changed into an alternate timeline is:
    There is still the ORIGINAL timeline, in which Marty & The Doc are in; followed by the alternate timelines, which are where they would be the next time they went back. Doc explains this in his garage on the chalk board. They don't see the new timeline until the next time they "jump" through time; which is the case every time.

(bold because it's important to explanation)
    Then Biff should have arrived in an alternate 2015, thus stranding Marty and Doc in the future!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Then Biff should have arrived in an alternate 2015, thus stranding Marty and Doc in the future!
    Yup. I think it's minor flaw and with a movie about time travel they're destined to be there. Being that there's no truth to time travel, nobody knows how it would really work, and it's never FULLY explained in the film....I would say it can go either way. I consider this a minor, minor flaw that only hardcore fans would notice anyway. Somebody call the Mythbusters!

I think we can all agree that the end of Part III is something that would definitely f*ck up the course of history. I mean....Doc stayed back 100 years before the eighties and knocks a woman up. You can't deny that that's going to f*ck something up. Not only that, but Doc makes ANOTHER time machine. Dammit Emmett! Did you not learn from the first time??? It was a good ending to the series but not a very logical move for Doc Brown.

And about that deleted scene everyone is talking about.....it's RIGHT after Biff returns to 2015 in the Delorean. He get's out the car showing signs of pain(this is where the scene ends in the movie) but it originally ran a bit longer with Biff stumbling behind a near by dumpster and fading away as Marty and Doc get into the Delorean. According to the commentary on the dvd, the original idea was that Biff was shot(possibly by Lorraine) and once that timeline kicked in, he disappeared. They took it out because they were afraid it would confuse people.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    AHHHHH!!!!!!!

Actually, the way this is solved is because by the time old Biff left to go back to 2015, Marty & Doc (from 2015) were ALSO back in 1955 trying to get the Almanac back from young Biff. I know, I know, you'll say "well how would they get back there if Old Biff SHOULD end up in an alternate future?" But, remember, he hasn't traveled yet, therefore alternate future isn't created yet and Marty & Doc find out Biff had the almanac and manage to travel back.

I don't know if I worded that so it's understandable, but I tried...

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm so glad I'm not stoned right now, because this stuff is blowing my mind enough as it is ... heaven forbid anyone's on mushrooms reading this stuff!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm so glad I'm not stoned right now, because this stuff is blowing my mind enough as it is ... heaven forbid anyone's on mushrooms reading this stuff!
    I think for some it may be easier to take in if they ARE stoned.