Thread: Voting for 16 year-olds???!!!

Super Moderator

UK

Voting for 16 year-olds???!!!

Just got the news on in the background and thought I'd pass comment on this - looks like another tabloid, headline-grabbing idea from those bastards in Labour.

Now, I personally think that is a really stupid idea - guaranteed you'll get a mass of kiddywinks running off to vote for the pansy Liberal Democrats because they preach "no war and silver linings for everyone in our heaven on earth" nu-uh, world doesn't work like that mate - tough decisions need to be made and you're not going to like every one of those decisions.

At age 16, most kids aren't interested in politics - I know when I was 16 I despised politics, it was the last thing I was interested in - I let that sort of thing up to those a few years older than me and up - besides, I knew nothing - I didn't watch the news or read newspapers.

18 is a perfectly good age, hell, some voters at this age still don't understand enough or know enough or look at the big picture. I was on the brink of 21 before I got to cast my first vote (unsurprisingly I'm a Conservative ... but I'm a YOUNG Conservative, fupishcu all that old-fart stereotype stuff).

Although it was interesting to see that the ... five ... kids they got to come on the news and debate with that Murthy fella, four of them didn't think it was a good idea - all saying they didn't know enough about politics or were even capable of understanding the gravity of the situation - one guy even said it'd be treated as a joke (he didn't argue his point at all well - not a good advertisement for the English Language skills of the youth of today - but it makes sense).

Just because you can get married at 16 and drive at 17 - doesn't mean you should be allowed to vote - on an issue FAR GREATER than you and your little Mrs or run-around. Hell, it was even suggested that the age for driving could be lowered - NO THANKS - 17 is young enough, perhaps too young for some.

Besides, when you're 16 it's pretty much your last chance to just be a kid - soon you're off learning to drive and entering the sixth form and then thinking about your life career - why do we need to heap more responsibility on kids?

That's the thing with this Labour government - it's all meddling and nit-picking ... and not doing it at all thoroughly, it's all to grab a headline in The Sun - personally, sooner they're out the better, Darth Brown is going to be 10 times worse than Bliar Bliar Pants On Fire.

My two cents...and I believe, the first politically charged post on GD-Redux!

Isle of Man
    If that pulls through, it will be one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.

Granted, when I was sixteen I knew a good amount about politics...more than most other sixteen year olds...but I still didnt know enough to want to vote. Plus at sixteen, your priorities are as immature as you are. Let kids go throgh puberty before they think about politics!

Hell, you are right about even eighteen year olds not being allowed to vote. I think people need to take a test to prove they know at least a basic understanding of politics so we dont have all these morons voting because their favorite coked out celebrity tells them to.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just think of it - you could have a bunch of kids voting, the sort who proclaim violently that they "hate Capitalism" as they sit in their bedroom, surrounding by all the stuff their parents have bought them, whilst wearing Nike clothing produced in sweatshops and sold for an insane amount of money.

Ever since I saw some tosswank on a Channel 4 show (called "Brat Camp") it's been seared into my memory as a representative image of the down side of the youth of today.

Even at 18 I wasn't really into politics at all - since the age of 16 I'd been getting more and more into the censorship 'thing' (I'm totally against it from the silly stuff to the serious shizzite) - but as for general politics I wasn't really into it. First year Uni you're too busy living up the student life - second year and especially third year (what with the general election at the end of it) I was getting quite into politics and found myself watching the news (when I happened upon it) or politic shows and getting quite angered by the government - and not about the Iraq buzzword - but about homegrown fears and legislation tragedies.

At 16 you're definately not mature enough to deal with politics, and even when many of those 16 year olds say themselves they're not up to the task - that doesn't mean they should get to vote, like those Labour bastards will twist it - it simply means they aren't ready to vote. 18 is low enough thank you very much, now come on government, go and legislatate over serious issues and get over the fixation with excessive taxation.