Thread: Looking for army surplus type places...

Super Moderator

UK

Looking for army surplus type places...

How-do chaps,

So I have this idea in my head which requires a gas mask and a chemical suit...so basically, does anyone know of any places - preferably British sites - where I can find those items (gas mask, chemical suit) for cheap?

I've just been to an Army Surplus website, but they don't have suits or masks as far as I've found, I'm now trying "genuine army surplus .co.uk", but was wondering if anyone knew of any other sites where I could order these things for a cheap price? (British sites preferred).

Cheers chaps.

I've so far found:

British Army S10 Respirator With Filter £30

(On Genuine Army Surplus .co.uk)

and

British NBC Suit £20
    http://www.exarmy.co.uk/shop/product...od=151&xSec=37
    (On ExArmy.co.uk)

ExArmy also had a gas mask, but it was a WW2 model, and the one I had in mind was more like the S10 above.
    http://www.exarmy.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=216 (WW2 gas mask)

If folks have any other links that'd be great, it would be nice to deal with only one website, but hell, £50 for those things, not bad really, yeah?

And I'm not an eBay user ... don't trust it at all/far too complicated, though thanks for the link Dj, good to see other pictures of other variations...all useful to see.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Jul-2007 at 01:51 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    A chem suit is actually called a Tyvek ,or maybe spelled tyvex (I forget), suit. Like the ones in Repo man or the crazies. You can get them from chem supply or paint supply houses. You might even be able to get one from a really good hardware store or even some home depot type store if you have those. You might not have to mail order them at all. And they are not that expensive.
    Up, Up and Away! ARRRRRGHGGGH

"It's better to regret something you have done, than something you haven't done. By the way, if you see your Mother, tell her I said...
    Satan, Satan, Satan!"
    -The Butthole Surfers

Super Moderator

UK
    Cheers Coma, I guess you learn something new everyday.

Aye, The Crazies was my ideal image in mind, that vision of a white-suited black-gas-masked heavy, I think it's most instantly recognisable in general too.

Really good tip on those suits Coma, just been on a quick jaunt and you're damn right, WELL CHEAP!

http://www.glovesrus.co.uk/product_i...lovesrus.co.uk

That's my kinda prices, just the sort of thing I'd want, and cheap enough to buy a few so I can tear/bloody one up as needs be.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Jul-2007 at 03:58 PM.

England
    www.surplusandadventure.com

Pretty much everything you could need on there MZ!i was digging around for paintball gear a while ago & came across loads of these sites they have gasmasks,NBC suits,helmets,standard DPM field uniforms,boots,scrims,webbing the lot!

Super Moderator

UK
    Cheers for the link Tricky, a lot of stuff on there (will look properly later, this computer is wigging out tonight/internet is YET AGAIN F*CKING SH*T FOR THE THIRD NIGHT IN A ROW - during the day, pissing fine and free - at night, f*cking useless)...*sigh*

Anyway, lots of stuff on there, I'll certainly enjoy searching around...and in Worcestershire...not that far from me.

Fresh Meat

United Kingdom
    Hi there,

You wanted UK based Army Surplus, NBC suits/accessories.

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/stock.php?page=nbc

I've bought stuff off the guy before, I live not to far from his business (which is a garage. lol) and was quite helpful and friendly, he even gave me a good deal on the stuff I bought.

Seems reasonable pricing, just another option.

Cheers.

-K

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    huh. i swear there was another thread on this eact same thing, deja-vu, huh?

anyway in most city centeres theres one of those army surplus stores, a dude my mom whent out with for a god 8 years took me and my brother there to get a laod of crap, its were those nut jobs get those camo pants from, theres one in every town i think, you can get owt in them from boots to full on pilot suits for a cheap price, then theres allwasy ebay but theyd be more questionable i think "hey whys the inside of this helmet stained red?"

England
    your right about the camo pant nutter in every town hellsing!ok ive got some flecktarn overalls but i dont wear them outside of paintball lol!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    *snaps fingers* theres an idea tricky my man, mz try some paintball sites, theres a few paintball shops on ebay that sell some army looking stuff for people who get boners when watchin' platoon.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    *snaps fingers* theres an idea tricky my man, mz try some paintball sites, theres a few paintball shops on ebay that sell some army looking stuff for people who get boners when watchin' platoon.
    Ohhhhh ... Mercy. :blush:

I'll have a poke around...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i have the distinct idea your a platoon fan, and a futher idea that if asked if you want to whatch it you have a carry on "ooh matron" style response

Super Moderator

UK
    lol, yes I do think Platoon is an awesome film. I got it on DVD when we all fancied watching it in my house at uni, we came back from a house party at like 2am and set about watching it ... then I realised how dark a film it was/is, lol.

Still though, powerful viewing enough (and iconic for that matter) that when I went paintballing I had Adagio for Strings playing through my head...I never got to "do an Elias" on the battlefield though...

But the experience did inspire a whole chunk of a script I wrote last year.

United States
    I'd get one or two "Hero" gas masks and authentic camo uniforms for close ups. Since the carbon filters can be toxic, another option is to attach a flexible hose to a container their belt or back. Look for inexpensive eastern European copies of NATO masks.

If you want to film a large crowd of soldiers at night or from a distance you might get away with using these masks

http://www.sillyjokes.co.uk/dress-up.../char/gas.html

If you can't get camo BDU's check the paint store for paper jumpsuits and go for The Crazies soldier look.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

capncnut
    Don't forget to check out your local charity shops like Oxfam, Barnado's, etc. I've seen all sorts of strange military stuff in 'em before, but I can't guarantee that the previous owner was alive when they last wore them though.