Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are there too many zombie flicks out there now?

United States

are there too many zombie flicks out there now?

For a while, I wasn't complaining at all....I was soaking them up like buttaaaaahhh!! For the longest time I had to really hunt for a "good" zombie flick; now they're coming out of the woodwork like ravenous termites switching to an iron diet!
    I have always preferred the "zombie" flick over the typical horror thing, but,.......It's almost got to the point where I roll my eyes whenever I see a new "straight to DVD" zombie flick added to the rental store shelves!
    There are quite a few great indie flicks (including Cereval's and DjfunkmasterG's shortys) that have been released via theater, DVD or public circulation - or, am I just being my "normal, picky, asshole" self?
    I'd hate to see the zombie genre become "mainstream" and "goth".

United States
    too many? nahhhh

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    oh, I'm still at the "not quite yet, but almost" - I guess I'm asking if there's a line that can be crossed....you know, "remakes" have become mainstream......anything can eventually become "mainstream".
    Are the zombies crossing over?

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Adrenochrome has a point when he mentioned the "Line being crossed". I think there is a point where it's gonna be like the 80's where zombies where fun and appeared in beer commericials and music videos.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cykotic
    Adrenochrome has a point when he mentioned the "Line being crossed". I think there is a point where it's gonna be like the 80's where zombies where fun and appeared in beer commericials and music videos.

**shudders** remembering the Greg Kihn Band

United States
    I like the George Romero zombie movies so much, that I almost wish that there were NO other zombie movies at all other than his. Dont get me wrong, I like Fulci's zombie, and various other movies OK, but the GAR movies are so much better. I mean, its like it someone other than George Lucas made some movies that featured Jedi's fighting against an evil empire, but it was not Star Wars related at all, it would just seem like a much less-worthy series of movies.

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    I never thought about it like that!

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Too Late

Look up a Movie called F.I.D.O or FIDO

It is about people who have Pet Zombies and stars Carrie Anne Moss
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT
    I like the George Romero zombie movies so much, that I almost wish that there were NO other zombie movies at all other than his. Dont get me wrong, I like Fulci's zombie, and various other movies OK, but the GAR movies are so much better. I mean, its like it someone other than George Lucas made some movies that featured Jedi's fighting against an evil empire, but it was not Star Wars related at all, it would just seem like a much less-worthy series of movies.
    Hmm, I like the concept of zombies too much to go THAT far

I don't think the "the line has been crossed" quite yet, I think we're actually on the downward slope right at the moment, if we didn't hit critical mass in the middle of last year, I don't think we ever will.

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    if we didn't hit critical mass in the middle of last year, I don't think we ever will.
    that's what I'm hoping.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    I think we're actually on the downward slope right at the moment
    That sucks... My film comes out soon, and I feel like I am riding that downard slope. I always felt that way after seeing a slew of zombie films, I actually began thinking... Am I contributing to the downfall of the genre or am I just someone caught in a system that has been falling off for sometime now.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Banned User

Undisclosed
    zombie horror films are definitely crossing into the mainstream, especially over the last 5 years or so. Remakes and successful box office flicks are making it more acceptable, more popular.

i'm sure there's a line to cross with over-saturation of zombie movies, but we're not there yet. as of now, any new take on zombies is a step in the right direction for the genre. as different as 28 Days Later was, i still enjoyed it. Same with Shaun of the Dead. Same with Slither. add comedy, add a British spin, add different causes and effects....all good stuff in my books!

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England

Fake fans

The recent glut of zombie movies is purely down to people cashing in, jumping on the band wagon and trying to make money while zombie movies are considered "hip".

It is only a matter of time until the whole genre gets watered down so much it becomes nothing more than a parody of itself.

Personally i can not wait for them ALL to give it up.

When they do give it up and hop off the bandwagon ... we will hopefully once again return to normal service and see ONLY zombie movies of good quality, made by people who actually want to make a good zombie movie, rather than people who want to make a turkey which they can then rush straight to DVD in order to cash in.

United States
    As long as ther are a few pearls among the swine, I'll say no.

If you want to see where the genre is headed though, consider what the LAST big horror genre was of a simular nature in the 90's & chart its course: The Vampire Movie. A few groundbreakers to start the ball rolling (say, Lost Boys &/or Near Dark), a big blockbuster that cashes in on the phenomenon (Like Francis Ford Coppla's Dracula or Interview With The Vampire), then everybody & their brother jumps on the bandwagon and makes a bunch of crappy, strait-to-vid's, then the whole thing dies off.

I see it happining now . Hopefully though there will still be some quality filmakers (prolly indies) who feel passionate about the genre & have good stories to tell, or that'll be its fate.

United Kingdom
    You can never have too many zombie flicks.
    When there's no more room in Hell... the dead will walk the Earth...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Visit The Realm of Horror Comics: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com
    Visit my "DAY OF THE DEAD" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/dayofthedead/mains.htm
    Visit my "CREEPSHOW" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/creepshow
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++