Thread: Slow PS3 Sales Don't Hurt Sony's Bottom Line

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Slow PS3 Sales Don't Hurt Sony's Bottom Line

In spite of sluggish PlayStation 3 sales, Sony wants us to know they're doing fine in the money department.

The electronics giant reports that its overall profits more than doubled during the past quarter, mainly due to the success of their films department--Spider-man 3, specifcally) and sales of its traditional electronics.

The PS3 department, however, is in the crapper: Losses for the game system rose from 26.8 billion yen to 29.2 billion yen, with a paltry 710,000 units sold worldwide. It's a slow race for Sony's PS3.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/26/s...2-hot-as-ever/
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    In spite of sluggish PlayStation 3 sales, Sony wants us to know they're doing fine in the money department.

The electronics giant reports that its overall profits more than doubled during the past quarter, mainly due to the success of their films department--Spider-man 3, specifcally) and sales of its traditional electronics.

The PS3 department, however, is in the crapper: Losses for the game system rose from 26.8 billion yen to 29.2 billion yen, with a paltry 710,000 units sold worldwide. It's a slow race for Sony's PS3.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/26/s...2-hot-as-ever/
    Why would any of us be bothered if Sony were in the money or not? That's so bling-bling-braggy, that is.

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Why would any of us be bothered if Sony were in the money or not? That's so bling-bling-braggy, that is.
    Trying to save face, so not to scare off investors.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think it's part of the damage control for investors. They're spinning it as " even with the colossal fu*k up the ps3 has been we're still a successful company."
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    I think it's part of the damage control for investors. They're spinning it as " even with the colossal fu*k up the ps3 has been we're still a successful company."
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Even with the 60gb price drop the sales haven't improved much. Most people don't want to pay that kind of money for a game system so the PS3 isn't selling, it is as simple as that.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    aye total damage control, i mean do you think taht "father of the playstation" guy really did choose to retire?, hell no id set my watch that he was forced to by the big wigs for getting his ass handed to him by shigsy and gates.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I've heard that as well. I don't think it's a coincidence that he thought thst this was the right time to retire and move on. He said that he has other things that he wanted to pursue. Yeah right. I think they gave him the option to resign so that he could save face and get another job somewhere one day. it's alot like politicians do when there's a scandal. They resign and go away quietly in order to avoid a potentially embarassing situation.

Super Moderator

UK
    Even if people do resign, they get a new job straight away, like the bloke who showed off GTA IV's announcement by rolling up his sleeve to display a temporary tattoo of the logo, he "resigned" about 2 weeks after saying something (I think it was about Manhunt 2) and moved straight into a job at EA.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, i think that it was a backroom deal they had set up for a while. Even if it wasn't it's not inconcievable that they found out somehow that he wanted to leave ms and threw bags of money at him. He is considered somewhat of a giant of the industry. It's like when a sports star becomes a free agent. We know that there are any number of teams that would snatch them up if they could.