Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noltd 1990!

United States
    I liked Savini's director commentary on Night 1990. While some of the effects were lacking - it makes sense with the MPAA troubles.

Undisclosed
    I really enjoyed the Night '90 remake. It was my first dead flick. It was what hooked me on zombie flicks. Plus, Tony Todd, Tom Towles, and Patricia Tallman were really enjoyable in their preformances. I could have done without screaming Judy Rose but you can't have everything, and the lack of gore when compared to Romero's Dawn and Day were just the demands of the MPAA to have the R picture that the studios wanted. Gore doesn't make a good horror movie without decent writing/acting/directing, so it's not a big thing to me as Night '90 had those other three things.
    I liked the compare/contrast of the remake and the original.

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    I thought it was great, and i also prefer the remake to the original for many reasons.

I also have a very rare savini workprint of this movie on DVD with an alternative music score (tangerine dream i think) which is a fascinating watch. Unfortunately it is taken from a VHS (savinis own copy i would guess) and suffers from additional ADC noise and/or a late gen conversion which does partly spoil the alternative OST.

So far as i am aware it was this remake which finally and "officially" cleared up the issue relating to the fact that a person does NOT have to be the direct victim of an infectious bite in order to come back from the dead ... but then it is 7.50AM and i didn't sleep yet so maybe i am not thinking straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Flesh Eater
    Why do so many people think it shouldn't have been made?
    On a side note ... who are all these people?
    Last edited by Deadman_Deluxe; 06-Apr-2006 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Banned User

United States
    It is what it is.

If you can ignore all the politics and bs surrounding it, you'll find that it's really not that bad.

I still take it down off the shelf every once in a while.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadman_Deluxe
    On a side note ... who are all these people?
    Sorry i was a bit general: when the film was about to be made fans thought that it was just being made for money (for the original investors in NOTLD 68that got screwed). Also from the very start they knew it was going to be R-Restricted - so minimal gore. Both these things meant people were a bit dubious about them doing a remake...

Personally I love the remake as much as i love the original!

Undisclosed
    Actually the film was made to secure the copyrights, George was on the set through out the entire film, and the gore shots ..well actually anything with moving blood were pulled by the censors due to the period...keep in mind this film was released the same week the Gulf War began.
    I have a very long in depth interview with Tony Todd that I'm going to release on DC.com soon and he goes into some really cool detail about it.
    I've been working some incredibly outrageous hours so I haven't had time to finish it up, but I hope this weekend ...
    designs-n-creations.com

Sometimes dead is better....

Undisclosed
    I have to disagree. The Dawn remake at least offered a new interpretation of the material. Night '90, while I enjoy it, was just a retread of Night '68.

~panic

Quote Originally Posted by EvilFlyingCow
    Night '90 was so much better than the DotD remake.

Super Moderator

UK
    But Night90 offered a new take on the role of women in society. Barbara was bumped up to someone much more tough and capable in the remake rather than in the original when women weren't seen in such a light ... or at least nowhere near as much.

And where's your sig pic from?

Undisclosed

Tom Savini's Version...

I also have a very rare savini workprint of this movie on DVD with an alternative music score (tangerine dream i think) which is a fascinating watch. Unfortunately it is taken from a VHS (savinis own copy i would guess) and suffers from additional ADC noise and/or a late gen conversion which does partly spoil the alternative OST.

Deadman_Deluxe,

Sir,

I believe you may have the version that Mr. Savini alluded to when he gave his lecture in Watford a few years ago. Could you please describe the additional scene / gore that is missing from the UK versions.

My thanks to those who informed us about the UK DVD. I didn't realise a lot of the missing footage was present there...

Super Moderator

UK
    What?! The UK DVD has extra stuff the USA DVD doesn't have?! Blimey...that's a turn up for the books, wonder if its the same version they showed on Bravo here in the UK?

Banned User

United States
    Actually the film was made to secure the copyrights
    That's one way of putting it.

From what I was told, an independant outfit in Texas was looking to take advantage of the fact that NOTLD was considered public domain and had a remake in pre-production...hoping to cash in on the original's past success. Then, GAR and the Pittsburgh Pimp Squad heard of this, and rushed their own remake into production--beating them to the punch.

Undisclosed
    You're right that Barbara was tougher in Night90, but many movies (Alien anybody?) had already taken us there.

My sig pic is a grab from the opening credits of Dawn '04.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie
    But Night90 offered a new take on the role of women in society. Barbara was bumped up to someone much more tough and capable in the remake rather than in the original when women weren't seen in such a light ... or at least nowhere near as much.

And where's your sig pic from?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by panic
    You're right that Barbara was tougher in Night90, but many movies (Alien anybody?) had already taken us there.
    Lt. Ellen Ripley is THE female hero. There is no other

"Get away from her, you B*tch!" Classic...

United States
    I like the remake more. Something about black and white films not holding my interest I guess. The zombies in the original just look like people walking around in a daze; the zombies in the remake look as much like rotting bodies as possible.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Banned User

United States
    Actually, I just got done watching it on DVD.

Like I said--it is what it is...but one thing's for certain:

While most die hard fans feel that the best look for ghouls came from Day, the NOTLD remake's ghouls set the new standard, and were the most copied, in all zombie flicks (GAR or not) to come.