Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noltd 1990!

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Noltd 1990!

Does anyone else like this remake? i personally think that it was quite sympathetic to the original, but with not nearly enough Savini gore! Why do so many people think it shouldn't have been made?

Undisclosed
    I think it's a great film, the zombies are very realistic looking and the plot has a few interesting twists that play on the original. The gore is sadly missing, but it's not too much of a dissapointment. It'd be nice if they released a version with all the cuts put back in.

Super Moderator

UK
    It was alright, but Judy Rose really, really, really annoyed the crap out of me. One minute she's being Rambo, the next she's a complete wet flannel about everything ("You shot Mr Magruder!"). The zombies were good though, quite realistic ... shame a lot of the gore got cut out, but that was the climate of the MPAA at the time I guess - it would be great if an uncut version came out, but if I remember correctly those excised bits of footage are no longer around.

Undisclosed

Missing Print?

Personally, I prefer NoTLD '90 over the original (waits for outcries to die down).

Mr. Savini did state during a lecture in Watford some years ago that he did his print was far superior and that it was available should the right occasion ever present itself.

I have seen a version where the character Tom, from the back of the truck, shoots a zombie, giving us that trademark Savini head-explosion, but that's as far as I got in the hunt for the 'real' version.

Anyone fared any better?

United States
    I dont think that there are that many people, if any, that think it shouldnt have been made. The only people I have ever seen take the position that it shouldnt have been made are under the false impression that Romero had nothing to do with it and that is was somehow unfair to him. The movie was made with his blessing, and if I remember right, he redid the script, and was responsible for the different ending. Night 90 is a great flick!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    How could they think it was made without Romero? His name is stamped all over the credits and advertising

I think most complaints would probably boil down to what happened with Savini, the MPAA, and the other partners in the film. Seems more like Romero wrote the new treatment, gave Savini his blessing, and then pretty much went about his way. It's a shame that Savini didn't necessarily get the film he was hoping for....but he should still be proud.

Undisclosed
    Yeah, i love this flick too. It compliments the original nicely, and the little changes (such as the trowel, the cemetary zombie, and the ending) are great. Even though it wouldn't be the same without seeing the original a bunch of times, i think this is one remake that is actually better.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i liked it however it was so nineties to let the blond/ginga survive,lol.

ViP

United States
    I loathe the remake. For starters, the music is not good. There are a couple of 15 second bursts of decent music, but that is about it. The first film's atmosphere was set up by the music, and then by the dark settings. This film was deflated by a lame synth score, and then the mood was ruined by the larger, more revealing scope. The acting was uneven, something that the first film did not suffer from. The threat was constantly defanged by Barbara's "They're so slow" comments. The cemetery zombie is not memorable in the slightest, as opposed to the Hinzman zombie image which is permanantly burnt into our minds. The zombies looked pretty good overall but that doesn't excuse the rubber uncle Rege dummy. Judy Rose's screaming doesn't take long to distract from the film. The plot changes are about the least offensive alterations really. The strongest points of the film are Todd and Towles' acting, the locations and the set decorating.

United States

I remember a deleted scene...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir James Forbes
    Personally, I prefer NoTLD '90 over the original (waits for outcries to die down).

Mr. Savini did state during a lecture in Watford some years ago that he did his print was far superior and that it was available should the right occasion ever present itself.

I have seen a version where the character Tom, from the back of the truck, shoots a zombie, giving us that trademark Savini head-explosion, but that's as far as I got in the hunt for the 'real' version.

Anyone fared any better?
    ...where the skinny bald head zombie had more gore and headshot when he was trying to come into the house.

And the head shotgunned from the back of the truck as mentioned. It was on the dvd release deleted scenes/making of, etc.

What really surprises me is how the MPAA is letting a lot get by nowadays. I just saw Slither and the Hills Have Eyes yesterday, and I was surprised by the amount of gore allowed! I think the thread has been going on for the past two years or so, with the likes of: House of 1,000 Corpses, Devil's Rejects, Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, Hostel and now the Hills Have Eyes remake.

Thank God that trendy teenie-booper '90s horror is dead!!

Dawg

Original Member Since 1998. [10 YEARS AND COUNTING!]

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish
    The zombies looked pretty good overall but that doesn't excuse the rubber uncle Rege dummy.
    That's my biggest problem with the effects. And on the DVD special features, Savini is talking how they show the real fireplace poker to the dummies head, and then a rubber fireplace poker on the real head......like it looks so great? Came out horribly, if you ask me. Come on Savini....you used to do that stuff for a living

Administrator

England
    on the uk DVD, isnt some of the deleted scenes shown on the extra documentry?

ViP

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    on the uk DVD, isnt some of the deleted scenes shown on the extra documentry?
    Yeah, it is on the USA DVD too. Tom shotgun blasts a zombie in the head, Wooley style, from the back of the truck. It shows MacGruder get shot in the back of the head. The skinny bald zombie has a juicier headshot, and there was another headshot in the front doorway after the Harry and Ben gun battle.

United States
    Night '90 was so much better than the DotD remake.

United Kingdom
    I loathe ALL remakes of any films. And NOTLD '90 is no exception.
    When there's no more room in Hell... the dead will walk the Earth...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Visit The Realm of Horror Comics: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com
    Visit my "DAY OF THE DEAD" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/dayofthedead/mains.htm
    Visit my "CREEPSHOW" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/creepshow
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++