Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead" 20 years from now...

Undisclosed
    Overwhelming is probably a strong word here, Svengoolie. There's a sizable minority here that actively dislikes Land. As has been mentioned, this is similar to those who rejected Day upon its initial release. As you say, only time will tell if Land eventually attains the same stature as Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    ... If you ask the members of this forum what they thought about Land, the overwhelming majority would be in support of it (for whatever reason) ...

Banned User

United States
    Re-read the last bit you quoted, panic.

Undisclosed
    I'm confused.

I was just suggesting that overwhelming majority (~95-99%) is probably too high an estimate of the proportion of HPOTDers that "support" LOTD.
    True, its a majority, but proabably in the range of 75-80%.

Whatever, no worries.

United States
    I just wonder what format we'll be watching LotD on in 20 years

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by erisi236
    I just wonder what format we'll be watching LotD on in 20 years

TLA Direct Eye Laser Vision Implant (iDELV)

You can store up to 250 hours of your favourite movies at the highest quality on a small chip embedded in the back of your neck. You just have to close your eyes and choose your movie and/or scene by "thinking" your way through the interactive user menu and "thinking" select/play.

Welcome to the future ... bitch!

Undisclosed
    I think Land of the Dead will definetly be looked at as a product of it's time 20 years from now. I remember watching Hurricane Katrina coverage and thinking of the under class that lived on the streets in LOTD. Plus the elite citizens of Fiddlers Green is obviously a knock on the current administration. I just hope we're all here twenty years from now to discuss this!
    we've got spite and dedication as a vehement brew
    the world hates us, well we hate them too
    but you're exempted of course if you
    come and join us
    independent, self-contented, revolutionary
    intellectual, brave, strong and scholarly
    if you're not one of them, you're us already so
    come and join us

Come Join Us - Bad Religion

Undisclosed

what I think

I think it will always be seen as far sub par in the Romero Zombie Universe.

I didnt like Day at first but I do more now, but I think that is the fact that I am older now and dont mind as much dialouge.

I just think the 1st three were films while Land is just a zombie movie.

I think the non-USA world liked it so much because it was an obvious thumbed nose at out government. and USA's friends are few and far between now, it is en vouge to bash the US.

But I think 10-20 years from now Land will be forgotten like House of the dead unless you are talking to a GAR fan.

I think people didnt like Day because they wanted an action packed cartoon sytle Good vs Evil( in the sense you know who you are cheering for) Dawn of the dead type movie, which they didnt get.

I think people didnt like Land because it was a cute, teeny-booper tongue in cheek cookie cutter zombie movie.
    Last edited by OddDNA; 09-Apr-2006 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MKULTRA1138
    I remember watching Hurricane Katrina coverage and thinking of the under class that lived on the streets in LOTD.
    I thought the same thing, a bunch of people who rely on the Government to provide everything and are too dumb to save themselves when the **** hits the fan.

tho' I don't think you saw it in THOSE terms

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by OddDNA
    But I think 10-20 years from now Land will be forgotten like House of the dead unless you are talking to a GAR fan.
    Kind of like Day of the Dead is now forgotten, unless you're talking to a horror or GAR fan?

In any case, I agree with you on that part. Only horror fans and GAR fans will remember Land.

Banned User

United States
    Kind of like Day of the Dead is now forgotten, unless you're talking to a horror or GAR fan?

In any case, I agree with you on that part. Only horror fans and GAR fans will remember Land.
    I think that pretty much hits the zombie in the brain.

With the exception of horror freaks and deadheads, probably 99% of all the people I know have never heard of Day of the Dead and don't know who GAR is.....even the ones from Pennsylvania and the Burgh itself!

BUT--almost everyone I've ever met has seen NOTLD, and at least has heard of Dawn. So, I think that 20 years from now, the original NOTLD will retain its status as a horror icon...and the original Dawn will be the follow-up that horror fans will suggest to their friends if they're looking for a great forgotten/unknown flick.

Super Moderator

UK
    pfft, Land won't be forgotten. Simply for the fact it's a GAR zombie film it won't be forgotten - it's part of his legend.

"Dead & Breakfast" - THAT will be forgotten.

United States
    Well since I like it already, In 20 years I should like it alot more.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepshow
    Do you think the film will be more appreciated by horror genre fans 20 years or so from now? Kind of like what happened with "Day"?

Absolutely f*cking not. In 20 years people are going to find it even cheesier than they do now.

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on? Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?
    Land will never receive classic status. Night, Dawn, and Day are completely different films from LOTD. Anyone who believes this will be a classic is just blowing smoke up their own arse.

Do many people hate Land just because it's modern and up to date?
    Nope, people hate LOTD because it just plain sucks.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I think that it's already becoming more accepted. when I first watched land in theaters I liked it a lot despite the bad reviews. I still thought that the movie needed something. but after multiple dvd viewings It's becoming more acceptable for me. and most of the people that I've met like land of the dead. these people are zombie fans. only 2 guys have told me that they don't like land of the dead. and to my surprise, a friend of mine who isn't exactly into zombies, told me that she considers land of the dead to be the best or one of the best zombie movies ever. land of the dead is going up with time. at first people didn't let it breathe and go up because they were expecting another night of the living dead or dawn of the dead. george romero is not parasitic of his prequels. He makes each sequel different in style. the same thing happened with day of the dead. people were expecting something similar to dawn of the dead but they got something different and they weren't ready for it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn straight.

All my friends who have seen Land of the Dead really liked it. One of my mates, who is also really into zombie movies (and who fave movie is, like me, Dawn of the Dead - ORIGINAL) and we went to see Land together and we both had a blast and think the flick is great. lol, he was proper jealous when I had the DVD 3 weeks after it came to UK cinemas, ha!