Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead" 20 years from now...

United Kingdom

George A. Romero's "Land of the Dead" 20 years from now...

Do you think the film will be more appreciated by horror genre fans 20 years or so from now? Kind of like what happened with "Day"?

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on? Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?

Do many people hate Land just because it's modern and up to date?

What are your thoughts on this?
    When there's no more room in Hell... the dead will walk the Earth...
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Visit The Realm of Horror Comics: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com
    Visit my "DAY OF THE DEAD" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/dayofthedead/mains.htm
    Visit my "CREEPSHOW" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/creepshow

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah....I think it will turn out that way. Some people will continue to hate it for personal reasons, i'm sure, but for the most part it will be more accepted as it gets older.

United States
    I would be in the camp that the film will gain more acceptance from the hardcore fans as time goes by. I still remember the years after Day was released how fans hated the film. But now everyone either accepts it for what it was meant to be or loves it to the point of supplanting Night and Dawn as best of the series.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

Undisclosed
    do you think in 20 years Hopper and Leguizamo will be doing Conventions along with Big Daddy and Pillsbury
    its all about the Party.

Super Moderator

UK
    The film will definately achieve the same status that Day did. When Day came out it bombed and fans were calling for blood to be spilled because GAR didn't deliver Dawn of the Dead 2, same thing happened with Land of the Dead ... so in ten or twenty years it'll be sitting pretty alongside the other three ... and hopefully by then we'll have a fifth film in the saga to celebrate.

Undisclosed

Don't think so...

Obviously, only time will tell, but I just don't think Land will be held the same regard as the orginal trilogy in 2026. This will be especially true if GAR does get to make a 5th film. In a scenario where GAR rushes #5 as an immediate sequel to Land I think fans will come to view LOTD as the beginning of the great "cash in." Unfortunately, this is probably the best case scenario for those that want another GAR zombie film -- I just don't see GAR making another movie 10 years from now...

~panic
    Last edited by panic; 06-Apr-2006 at 09:40 AM.

Banned User

United States
    Personally, I think it'll be the "Godfather Part III" of zombie flicks...

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepshow
    Do you think the film will be more appreciated by horror genre fans 20 years or so from now? Kind of like what happened with "Day"?
    Yes.

I mean fan reaction wasn't amazing for Land right away, do you think this will change as time goes on?
    Well so far as the world media is concerned, fan reaction WAS pretty amazing right away OUTSIDE of amerika. Will that change in time? I doubt it.

Will Land be seen to be as much of a classic as Night Dawn and Day?
    Nope. Too much time passed in between Day and Land to relate them so close, and the style of Land is noticably different.

Do many people hate Land just because it's modern and up to date?
    Nope.

What are your thoughts on this?
    Read above.
    Last edited by Deadman_Deluxe; 06-Apr-2006 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United Kingdom
    Well so far as the world media is concerned, fan reaction WAS pretty amazing right away OUTSIDE of amerika. Will that change in time? I doubt it.
    Media reaction maybe, but I noticed that horror fan reaction was really not that great.
    When there's no more room in Hell... the dead will walk the Earth...
    Visit The Realm of Horror Comics: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com
    Visit my "DAY OF THE DEAD" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/dayofthedead/mains.htm
    Visit my "CREEPSHOW" fansite: www.realmofhorrorcomics.com/creepshow

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    Personally, I think it'll be the "Godfather Part III" of zombie flicks...

"Godfather Part III" is a good flick, man. Though I do understand the analogy you're making....Not as near as good as the first two. And in the "Dead" films case, not as near as good as the first three.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311
    "Godfather Part III" is a good flick, man. Though I do understand the analogy you're making....Not as near as good as the first two. And in the "Dead" films case, not as near as good as the first three.
    Does that make Big Daddy the Sofia Coppola of the Dead films....?

(Hey, my PC just came up with a "Beagle virus" warning on this page. Just letting ya know...)

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold W Brown
    Does that make Big Daddy the Sofia Coppola of the Dead films....?

(Hey, my PC just came up with a "Beagle virus" warning on this page. Just letting ya know...)
    Yeah....she wasn't too good at acting. She's a much better director. It's in the blood, I guess...

I did think she did an excellent job with her last scene though. That kind of puzzled yet scared, "....Dad". I also love Pacino's reaction....great actor.

Super Moderator

UK
    Public reaction is subjective I think - personally everyone I've spoken to about it loved the movie, and all the people that were there opening night in the cinema were loving it ... except the 3 people who walked out (they didn't get in to see Revolver and couldn't handle intestines).

Banned User

United States
    I think it would depend on who you're asking, MZ.

If you ask the members of this forum what they thought about Land, the overwhelming majority would be in support of it (for whatever reason); but, if you went to some of the sites that are dead-icated to zombies in general, and NOT the GAR flicks, you'll see a much different reaction.

Ditto for that theater--the people there KNEW what they were getting into, for the most part. So, of course their response would be positive.

As for this bit from bassman...

I've honestly never come across someone who's tried to defend "The Godfather Part III" in any way. Most true fans of that series regard it as the chunk of crap that it is, and repudate it.

I think that's how Land will wind up in the years to come--people might still remember and cherish the first three installments of the Dead series, but will pretty much ignore Land...the same way I think the first three Star Wars installments will ultimately fade into oblivion in favor of Episodes 4-6.

As of right now, most fans can only really agree on NOTLD and Dawn...and most "normal" folks haven't even seen Day or Land--so I'd lay five to one that, if remembered at all, Land will only be remembered by the fans, and cherished by a small minority of those fans.

But, only time will tell.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie

I've honestly never come across someone who's tried to defend "The Godfather Part III" in any way. Most true fans of that series regard it as the chunk of crap that it is, and repudate it.
    Yeah, that's why I said it's nothing compared to the first two, but as a stand-alone film, it's pretty decent. Would the "Godfather" series have been okay without it? Definitely. Does it make the series worse? Ehh....not really. But it definitely doesn't help. Except to see the end of Micheal Corleone....but that probably would have been better if left up to the imagination.