Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back in the paintball field at the weekend was he?

England

Back in the paintball field at the weekend was he?

Enjoyed it did he

Only bad part of the day was when my team were attacking a village compound thing through thick undergrowth & ditches,all of a sudden there was a massive cloudburst & we got absolutely drenched,couldnt see a thing through our masks but the defenders who of course were under cover could see us perfectly well & they had a turkey shoot!we all got well & truly lit up without getting even one of their players or anywhere near the flag!ive got a right bruise on my arse from where i was shot while retreating there was plenty of heroics & some decent teamwork through the rest of the day though,paintball is top fun!

Super Moderator

United States
    Sounds like fun! I haven't done paintball in ages.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah mate, sounds like bonza fun, I'd love to film a promo for a paintball place, get every war movie reference under the sun in there, film it Saving Private Ryan style - down in the mud with the "troops"...I was watching some videos on YouTube and there was one from some paintballer's DVD, but the filming sucked to be honest, it was so far removed and was really un-exciting.

But yeah, I'd bloody love to film a promo for a paintballing place, that'd be the most fun ever.

Sounds like you had a blast, damn that must have sucked/been rather panic inducing when you got lit up in the smoke, dang...a massacre...ah mate, put that in slow mo to Adagio for Strings and you've got gold right there.

England
    Yeah ive never seen a paintball movie that really captures the game,the guns sound too quiet & the filming is always done too far back from the action,plus on youtube you can guarantee they will put a really gash metal soundtrack to it

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Yeah ive never seen a paintball movie that really captures the game,the guns sound too quiet & the filming is always done too far back from the action,plus on youtube you can guarantee they will put a really gash metal soundtrack to it
    I know! It's shocking - how could it not be filmed properly. I'd love to make a paintball movie, like a video they have for BMX'ing or skate boarding - well, have a proper one for paintball, but shoot it like a war movie - because that's the point of paintballing. Simulated war violence, you play it with Adagio for Strings in your head. You scream out things you've heard in movies, "cover me" and such are not said with irony, but with serious purpose and intent. You've sucked into the moment - damnit - why is there not a proper paintball movie to capture the power of the game?!

Back off bitches, it's my idea - I'm statin' my claim!

Hell, if someone pays for it, I'll film the bitch.

I saw a vid on YouTube of some "mega" game with like 1000 players apparently, there was a short video (trailer I think) that took ages to get anyway, was poorly filmed, there was no drama beyond "gash" (brilliant word) slow-motion use, then finally it got going and it was just a shot of about a zillion paintballers sort-of-slowly-charging across a lumpy field firing at seemingly nobody.

I mean crap on a stick, paintballing is such a superb experience, it really is - it's safe war basically. The compulsion to fight in such a manner is within everybody, or at least men, so here's a safe and fun way to exert it (and live out your war movie fantasies).

I wrote a script last year which had a sequence in a paintball match, kinda based on the time I went paintballing at uni.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I always wondered, while we're on the topic of action scenes, when Korusawa filmed the huge costume scenes in Ran, Kagemusha and alot of his other films... He had everything needed to make a kickass battle scene! If I were him, I'd just yell "Screw the script! You, red uniform guys, you're gonna charge into their pikes over there!"

United States
    Really digging the facemask/headgear thing... makes me wanna ask someone to hit me in my face
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    Rich
    I am really glad you are enjoying this hobby

but iI have to admit that outfit you wear
    disturbs me in more ways that i can identify

we used to playy paintball when i worked at this store
    it was managers vs employees
    the managers payed for everything
    but there were a few employees who couldnt resist
    putting the paintballs in the freezer and making them solid
    so when they shot at a manager they hated it would really leave a mark

needless to say they stopped it

that outfit scares me on some deep primal level

but im glad you enjoy it

England
    ha ha the outfit is just German "flecktarn" pattern camo tankers overalls,the belt is my pod harness,the gloves are proper paintball ones i bought at the site that day & the net on my head is a scrim worn rambo/'nam bandana style to take the sting out of hits to the back of the noggin,nothing sinister paintball masks do look intimidating though,even the basic one,but i guess thats the idea lol

MZ,you ought to come to the YPC monthly walk on where i go near selby,arrange with them to film on the day!im guessing the reason a lot of paintball movies are a bit far back from the action is due to the camera man being scared of taking a hit himself while standing next to a player that the other side are aiming at,or is worried that his camera may take a hit as i imagine a paintball & the gloopy mess inside wouldnt do a camera much good,im sure theres ways round that though!

Super Moderator

UK
    See, that's the thing, the camera. The only thing I've be worried about, I've been hit by paintballs before, got annihilated once, so it's not going to be all that bad, they really don't hurt as much as you're told.

You'd just have to have a ribbon or something around your head to alert the other players, as well as that "shooting the cameraman will result in punishment" (which, at the place I played at, was lining you up for everybody to shoot you, execution style, hahaha - but I played by the rules, so nyah ).

With the camera, you'd have to fashion a kind of housing to protect it, but provide enough operational capability over the functions, zoom, focus, record button etc.

But yeah, providing the camera would be sorted, it'd be f*cking awesome.

If someone would stump up the dough, I'd totally take a paintball in the ass while filming a proper paintball movie...and then have someone do all the boring administration sh*t that I absolutely hate, organising people, getting forms together, all that wank...I wanna stick to the creative things - what I need is a producer really, I hate producer type stuff.

But aye, a proper paintballing film would be awesome...get some kind of mini distribution on it or something...perhaps if the paintball company acted as producers and facilitators, while I was left to do all the creative work. Film it all over a weekend - slow the shutter speed down, zoom in for extra chaos, take the Optical Image Stabiliser thing off - bingo. Saving Private Paintball.

England
    This is the site i go to,very professional place,have a watch of their promo video MZ,quite a lot of interviews but some good action shots as well
    http://www.ypc.co.uk/pages/walkons.htm

Oh yes & at that particular site you have to keep an eye out for these bad boys who may decide to hunt you down...
    Last edited by Tricky; 15-Aug-2007 at 06:41 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bloody nora, that was a fancy video they had there.

Well, fancy with all the little effects and visual gimmicks anyway. The sort of style I'd be thinking of would less be a promo for the place, more of a promo for the action of paintballing itself...trying to represent in a video what it's like to paintball. That's the best paintball vid I've seen online thus far, but it's still not Saving Private Ryan With Paint.

Plus this idea of chucking in a Predator or whatever - bloody nice touch. Ah mate...they should have zombies or something.

Or a futuristic, Mad Max type arena...like Terminator-in-the-woods.

England
    Heres another vid from the same place MZ,pure action this one gives you a good view of the sites game areas as well
    http://www.ypc.co.uk/oct06wo.html

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye I checked that one out. Good stuff.

I personally don't like those sort of "maps" (lol) where it's just a load of tyres, or in that one those wooden pyramid things, I prefer woodland action, I like buildings and encampments to battle around...like you're deep in 'Nam looking for Charlie...up in the trees.

But yeah, some good action in there...but to be even closer...basically a paintballer's POV (but not some shiite helmet cam like I've seen on YouTube - you don't see anything with that)...but yeah, Saving Private Ryan With Paint would be awesome.

England
    Yeah the pyramid one is the speedball area,i played that one on sunday & im not a massive fan of that style either as i prefer the military style games rather than ones that feel more like a sport,but the rest of their arenas are pretty good,they are all woodland even the ones with tyres & cars etc scattered around them,a lot of the maps remind me of that scene in the thin red line when they attack that village in the jungle