Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wii... Fastest selling console in video game history and more!

United States

The Wii... Fastest selling console in video game history and more!

So the Wii is now the console with the most installed units in homes with the current generation of consoles and the fastest selling console in the history of video games.

According to the report, total Wii units sold stand at 10.6 million, slightly more than the Xbox 360's estimated 10.5 million. Since its release, the Wii has outsold 360 by a margin of more than 2 to 1.

By comparison, Sony's PS3 has sold just 4.3 million systems worldwide since launching last November.

The news marks the first time that Nintendo has been the leader in both the home console and handheld markets since 1994 when the company's Super NES and Game Boy lines reigned supreme. Currently, the DS and Wii are the top two selling system's in the industry.

Additionally, the report claims despite continued shortages, Wii has managed to become the fasting selling console of all time selling at a greater pace than the most widely purchased console in history, Sony's PlayStation 2.

"In just two years, home console sales for the three major manufacturers have effectively reversed," said VG Chartz in a statement on its website. "This will have a large impact on third party publishers and will undoubtedly influence the decisions they make in the future."
    http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/view.php?id=3126

I have said from day one this console will be number 1. Now it is. Hopefully it will last.

Haters need not respond... unless you have something funny to say.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    and thats before the release of smash bros. brawl , you know you wanna see mario vs solid snake!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    and thats before the release of smash bros. brawl , you know you wanna see mario vs solid snake!
    I know, thats going to be awesome. I would say it would increase sales, but the system is already selling out everywhere. I only just witnessed last week for the second time since its release an actual Wii on a store shelf.

Now if the rumour of Sonic being a secret character in Smash Bros. is true then a lot of gamers will have to change their underwear.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    you ****ing knows it.

im guessing on the smash bro.s dojo site, the day before launch there gonna go "oh and yeah, we forgot to say its got mario AND solid snake AND sonic the hedgehog in one game".

and then gameing nirvana will arrive.

cus i dont knwo about you but im STILL playing super smash bro.s melee on the gamecube, its possibly the greatest multiplayer game ever.

Canada
    the wii is still a piece of s*it.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Now all it needs are less Transformers the movie and more Resident Evil 4's.

Undisclosed
    I don't know anyone personally who would actually admit to buying a Wii ...

At least no one with testicles

Nintendo has always been a day late and a dollar short in every new console they have put out since SNES.

The thing it has going for it is that its less expensive that the other two (360 and PS3) and for people that don't know the market or gaming ... some times thats what their choice is based on.

If you enjoy the system ... more power to you ... But if you really want Nintendo to wake up and join the 21st century ... insist they at least try to keep up.

United States
    I work in a game store, we have more people across the board asking for the Wii than any other system on the market. It's funny how people put it down and bash it becuase they don't like it just because it's a Nintendo product and doesn't have the best graphics. Guess what, graphics don't make the game, gameplay makes the game. Get off the couch and play the Wii, its games are just plain fun. Fun is the key words when it comes to gaming. Games are all about fun, Nintendo proves it, they have the 2 best selling systems on the market right now. Why is this? Because their games are all about having fun, they are not about yelling becuase you got fragged by somebody better than you. Not getting mad because some n00b owned you in Madden. They are not about being the prettiest game on the market that just so happens to crash systems its supposed to work on. Nintendo makes games that are fun for people, that is why they are back on top. Face it, there are more casual gamers looking for a fun game to sit down and play than there are hardcore gamers looking for the next Gears of War. Thats why Nintendo is back on top.

Selling over 10 million units in exactly 9 months is an impressive feat and its not just people that don't know the gaming market buying it, it's everybody buying it because it is a great system that is a lot of fun to play for everybody. Sure it doesnt have the best graphics or even a hard drive, but it has what more people want, that is why its on top.

I have testicles. I bought a Wii on launch day. So did my friend Brian, so did the other 125 guys in line. So have my regular customers who were lucky enough to get one when we get shipments of them. Quite a few of them own the 360 and love that too... but it seems nobody likes the poor PS3, it still has yet to break the 5 million units sold mark and it sits all by itself on the store shelves while everything else sells around it.

I wonder how long until the PS3 is in the clearance isle at Kmart.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    I don't know anyone personally who would actually admit to buying a Wii ...

Me neither. I like the 360.

United States
    wii :/ no thanks

Undisclosed
    Looks like Nextgenwars.com has to update their projected numbers....

Wii is awsome!!.....I have been saying from the day they announced the controller for the Wii that it was going to dominate this generation.....

Im still waiting for Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn .....(I love me some RPGs.....only reason Im going to get an Xbox 360 is for Blue Dragon and Mass Effect)

But then there is still!
    Metroid Prime 3
    Super Smash Bros
    Super Mario Galaxy
    and Battelion Wars II are just icing on top of a really big cake.....

Imagine how much of a sales jump Nintendo is going to get this holiday season....They are probally going to release a TON of consoles along with their holiday lineup of games and everyone and their mother is going to buy all of them!.....After the holidays Nintendo is going to have some distance between them and their competitors.....

Funny thing I was looking at...

Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    The Wii, however, I just don't get. I don't like the controller, and I think Nintendo is way too far behind in the console race to ever come back out on top. That is unless you like all your games to include Mario.

I could be wrong though.. ya never know
    From a thread a long time ago...
    http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/s...light=Nintendo

To which replied Capn!
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    I'm afraid there's truth to that comment. I have only just pre-ordered a Wii from my local Virgin Megastore and they still have more units for launch date collection. That kinda says it all as both the 360 and Ps3 sold out WAY before launch. I want the Wii to succeed, it's definitely more innovative than the others but I think a lot of the casual gamers out there will ignore it because of the 'family' thing. It'll definitely do well in Japan no matter what happens.
    Last edited by Terran; 23-Aug-2007 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

Undisclosed
    I play the Revolution once in a while. But mainly the VC version of Punch Out. When I move into another house in about a month I will play it more.

United States
    And you know what Terran, I have people coming into my store all the time complaining that they have to move when they play the Wii. How lazy are gamers getting when they complain that they may have to flick their wrist instead of just moving a finger!

I think a lot of people are in denial that the Wii is just plain fun and has a great line up even if you exclude the Super Mario Galaxy.

Canada
    I dunno, i just don't find the wii to have any staying power whatsoever. It's good for a once in awhile game, but it can't hold up to the longevity of the 360.

and besides, The 360 has better games...

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    yeah gbut for the first few months the 360 didnt exactly have a stellar line up either, its mostly crappy 3rd party games out right now, im wiating till the proper in house nintendo games start coming out in droves i.e the ones that there still working on to make ,'yknow, good. some companys "cough-imlookingatyyoufarcry-cough think just by using a new controll system that it will make a winner, and while that works for wii sports, theres a myriad of crap out for the wii right now, hell even twilight princess was a port.

my prediction the winner in this gen wont be decided to halo3 and super smash bros. brawl come out, there gonna sell like nobodys buisness.