Thread: PC gaming hack = Poor hack security by developers

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

PC gaming hack = Poor hack security by developers

I am a huge fan of the game, THE MOVIES, but it puzzles me how easy this was to crack and make it easy and winnable. I was looking at the ini files in the program files data folder for the game. This one file, global.ini, leaves it all out there for anyone to do as they please with, I mean literally changing the values any way you want.

Now I won't lie there is some trial and error, but for the most part the starting money amount is easily changed... Just a few keystrokes and WHAMMO its done. However, if you know your coding for ini files you should be able to modify the game to whatever parameters you want, kind of sickening when you think about how easy this game was to changed.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    I duno, I think it's kinda cool in a way, because PC gaming is by no means standard for any old bugger, it's a much more niche market - but a boundary pushing one. The PC market has that modifying vibe, and fiddling with ini files is a part of that, I kinda dig it...obviously it's something for people to do on their own playing against themselves (as far as I'm aware).

Not all games are that easy to modify though, but yeah, it's kinda neat poking a nose into the ini files. That is a significant downside to console gaming - no gamer mods to properly speak of, no total conversions...console modding of games is just impossible really.

Undisclosed
    shame really cos sometimes the mods are more fun than the games themselves...

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I am working on the games ini file a little at the time to modify the game to be more realistic. As opposed to an awards ceremony every 5 years I want to make it every single year just like the academy, but there are problems here and there that prevent me from being able to get it all perfectly right, one being everytime I make a change I have to play til that point int he game to see if the change takes and does what i want it too, but at least when I am done I will make the file available and people can just copy and paste it into their own data folders for the game.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*