Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ah the power of filmmaking..."Sunshine"...

Administrator

England
    Beautiful at many times, and good fun to watch, but the script was also rather poor at times which I found a let down. eg:-
    - Run-of-the-mill baddy.
    - So much time was invested in making the science believable yet they all defied gravity somehow in the ship.
    - One of the biggest plot holes of all times ever regarding the lack of air...

7/10
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    - Run-of-the-mill baddy.
    Can't say i've ever seen a bad guy that's lived in space alone for 7 years, intentionally cooks himself in the sun, and thinks he has a direct connection to God. He could have used some more screen time to flesh out his character a bit more, though.

- So much time was invested in making the science believable yet they all defied gravity somehow in the ship.
    Yeah....but isn't like this on EVERY space movie? I think it's semi-believable that if they can make it all the way to the Sun, they can have artificial gravity.

- One of the biggest plot holes of all times ever regarding the lack of air...
    Not following you on this one. Explain please. You mean the plants or their air storage?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman311 View Post
    Can't say i've ever seen a bad guy that's lived in space alone for 7 years, intentionally cooks himself in the sun, and thinks he has a direct connection to God. He could have used some more screen time to flesh out his character a bit more, though.
    Guy, gone psycho mad, killing people for the sake of it because he's gone mmmmaaaddddd.

Why do these film nutters always feel the need to kill people and not maybe just take up knitting or something? They enter the ship and rather than having their throats cut, they find the biggest woolly jumper ever! Maaaaadddd!

He needed something to make it less gimicky that's for sure...

Yeah....but isn't like this on EVERY space movie? I think it's semi-believable that if they can make it all the way to the Sun, they can have artificial gravity.
    Let's be frank... They didn't have artificial gravity... The film makers just didn't really care...

Not following you on this one. Explain please. You mean the plants or their air storage?
    As for the matter of air, *SPOILER* they were running short of air, but of course at the very least had a bomb the size of Brussels which was full of?.... Air! They had looooads of the stuff

Another cheap concoction almost as feeble as the psycho...

I'm of course being over harsh, but these were rather poor aspects of the film that let it down...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah....but isn't that how people go crazy in the real world? If you were left ALONE for 7 years, wouldn't your mind be slipping a bit? I've heard that prisoners in "the hole" for more than a month can go crazy...

I see what you're saying about the air in the bomb chamber. Never considered it. But then again...quit trying so hard, Neil! That's like arguing that the Star Wars trilogy wouldn't be if it weren't for that damn gunner not shooting the escape pod with R2 and 3PO...

Administrator

England
    Yeah....but isn't that how people go crazy in the real world? If you were left ALONE for 7 years, wouldn't your mind be slipping a bit? I've heard that prisoners in "the hole" for more than a month can go crazy...

I see what you're saying about the air in the bomb chamber. Never considered it. But then again...quit trying so hard, Neil! That's like arguing that the Star Wars trilogy wouldn't be if it weren't for that damn gunner not shooting the escape pod with R2 and 3PO...
    But it's nothing original, and something we've seen over and over... Super strong psycho mad bloke who somehow pops up at just the right moment, in just the right way, usually when the spookey music begins to play...

TBH the psycho segment of the film almost felt a bit out of place to me... The film looked to be a classic until the film makes jumped ship and the plot went all hollywood slasher!

Now, if he had instead forcibly made them wear wooley jumpers with three sleeves, that could have been truly terrifying!
    -Carl Sagan