Thread: Auto Censor

United States

Auto Censor

Don't mean to pick on this site, which I love, but I am just curious and mean no disrespect to the moderators and the site in general. That being said, here is my question: Why does the system automatically censor certain posted words like "S H * T" when the quote on the main page I just saw featured the quote from DAY where the helicopter pilot says something to effect that maybe "god got angry because we were trying to figure his sh*t out" (not an exact quote, but defintely containing a forbidden word)

They allow the use of this word "S H * T" in PG rated films now. I have seen commercial television shows in the US and on the BBC which use this word, among others. So if this word is accepted in the mainstream and can be used on the first page of this website, why are the posters not allowed to use this words in the forums?

Please understand that I am not advocating that this word be used, and certainly I can make my posts without using it. Please also understand that this is not meant as a criticism of the idea of censoring expletives, which I understand is necessary since many do not have the presence of mind and civility to keep these expletives off of the written page. I am only asking out of curiosity since the other day ago I had to edit one of my own posts because the system misinterpreted my use of the word "$ H T I C K" as being one of those terms which are verboten, and replaced "$ H T I C K" with a bunch of "*******" making it look like I have a foul mouth.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    The question of the swear filter has been brought up a few times before, and has always been answered the same way.. Although the films we are all fans of contain many swear words, the management of these forums dont beleive that the 3 words (yes we only have 3) censored have no place in civil, non-flaming posts.. the censor is kept in place to keep the atmosphere generally tidier and nicer, and as a aid to stop flaming.

It has been asked before

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    It has been asked before
    My apologies, Andy. I shall learn to search before I post.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."