Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Halo 3 review

United States

First Halo 3 review

Everything has come together in Halo 3 to form a comprehensive product that has been developed without fear of failure; a game that corrects the vast majority of the mistakes of the past; a game which combines user creativity and interaction across the game itself and Bungie’s own website to an extent never before seen in a console release. It’s not a Return of the Jedi, then, but a triumphant Return of the King.

Halo 3 is just a game, yes. But what a game. It’s probably the easiest Gold Award we’ll ever give, as well as being the first. Bungie will be sleeping in beds made of dollar bills after this, and their comfy currency duvet is well deserved.

Hail to the Chief.
    http://www.pressstartonline.co.uk/view/287

2 more days. I'll be lined up at midnight on Monday, and I won't stop playing till the sun rises. See you guys on Live!

England
    I know a few people who have got this already and finished it. Argos and Woolworths broke the street date by accident on thursday and it was avaliable to pick up instore on the day for a few hours.
    Personally, i have no interest whatsoever in the game. COD4. Now theres a game im gagging for after playing the beta for the last few months.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    You know, I was originally going to pick up CoD4 the day it came out. After playing the beta for a few weeks I was actually turned off by it. It just didn't have that "I gotta play one more round" feeling that Halo does. I still think it will be great, though I don't see myself buying it till it till next year some time.

England
    I sort of know what you mean but im a BIG fan of shooters especially COD2 and have been playing online with the same group (not clan) for a few years now. After the disappointment of COD3, COD4 has put it back on the rails gameplaywise. The single player campaign looks truly oustanding as well.
    Also an honourable mention to the Orange Box which is out soon. Team Fortress 2 looks hilarious.
    Cant wait.
    A good few months for the 360 coming up.

By the way. My mates LOVED Halo 3.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    really?, youd que for a first person shooter?, damn man.

United States
    I probably wouldn't be waiting in line if it were anything other than Halo. I guess the hype train caught up to me, and I really can't wait to snag my copy. They are expecting around 200 people at my local Gamestop on Monday night, and told me to arrive at 9:00.

Edit: Check out this homage to Ninja Gaiden. Can't wait to see what other kinds of armor there is to unlock:
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 23-Sep-2007 at 02:31 AM.

capncnut
    Yeah, I can't wait to play this myself. It's recieving 10/10's almost everywhere that's reviewing it. Even Famitsu gave it 9/10 and said it's the best FPS shooter available in Japan. Ol' Bungie are gonna be RAKING it in with this bohemoth.

Oh, and I've heard the events of the second level are so jaw-droppingly awesome, that it crushes the first two games singlehandedly. Spooge!

United Kingdom
    I'm buying it solely for the great multiplayer experience I've had with the other two. Whereas CoD has never given me a multiplayer experience I'd want to remember *shudder*.

Super Moderator

UK
    If I had mates who came around to play on my SexBox (no that isn't a euphemism for my ding-dang-do ), then I'd get Halo 3, because I remember at Uni we played Halo 2 multiplayer LOADS and it was gigantic fun.

But I didn't bother with the single player (I did with Halo 1 on the PC, but not Halo 2, never could be arsed to be honest), but then again I'm not popping a boner over Halo 3 - it's the multiplayer that I really enjoy, but without any frequenters of my SexBox coming around really, there's no point.

Now, if I was still at uni, then there'd be a point in me getting it.

But yes - COD4, bring that on. I'd gladly teabag it's balls for a week.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    DO NOT GO ON THE HALO 3 WIKIPEDIA!

intigued by the above picture i whent on there and some asshole has edited the text so that at intermitten points on the gameplay and multiplayer articles it actually states which characters live or die and the final boss adn ending.
    its allready ruined it for me, just thought id spare you guys the dissapointment of having it spoiled for you.

United States
    Thanks for the heads up - I've been dodging spoilers all week.

More reviews:
    -- ----------------------

IGN.com: 9.5/10 (not an average)
    ---Presentation: 10: An amazing replay editor, four-player online co-op, map editor, and community support make this the most robust feature set ever in a videogame.
    ---Graphics 9.0. : Despite a few moments of slowdown, this is a gorgeous game, especially considering the demands of the replay function. And it's to die for in 1080p.
    ---Sound: 10: This is the reason God created Surround Sound. Halo's theme is a futuristic anthem that inspires the troops. The chatter during combat is fantastic.
    ---Gameplay: 9.0: There are a few questionable design choices in the campaign, but this series remains the most fun first-person shooter on the planet. Multiplayer and the Forge are fantastic.
    ---Lasting Appeal: 10: The campaign won't take you long to complete, but this is a game that can be played for years. There are so many things to do, and it's so much fun to do them.
    --Reviewer: Hilary Goldstein

Gametrailers.com: 9.8
    --Campaign whilst linear has very little backtracking or repetition; Every locale is unique and memorable; 10 - 15 hour average playtime depending on difficulty; The deployable items aren't ground breaking; Best enemy AI in the business; Visuals are not the best on the system, poor character models; Audio trumps the visuals. (thanks to Opus Angelorum for the quotes)
    --"Look behind the sofa, in your car and in your pockets. Do whatever you can to get hold of Halo 3. The chief is back and he's no thief."

1UP.com: 10/10
    --It's hard to imagine a feature of this game that someone won't love (we didn't even get to talk about the robust file sharing, where you can swap gameplay screenshots, edited game films, game setups, and maps). Or you can just look at it as a sum of so many quality parts, that value-wise, Halo 3 is as sure a thing as it gets. Sure, not one aspect of the game is life-changing on its own, but perhaps the package as a whole is. After all, Halo 3 has enough content to keep you stuck to your controller for weeks, if not months or even years.
    --Reviewer: Dan Hsu

GameSpot.com: 9.5
    --Halo 3 builds upon the concepts of Halo 2 in ways that you'd expect, but there are also new modes and options that send the series in exciting new directions.
    --The Good: Satisfying storyline that simultaneously provides closure while making you wonder what will happen next ; Four-player online co-op is a lot of fun; Forge mode map editor lets you do some extremely crazy and unexpected things; Web integration makes sharing new maps and custom modes easy.
    --The Bad: Rewinding saved films doesn't work quite like you'd expect it to; AI-controlled Marines can't drive to save their lives (or yours); Inevitable flood of prepubescent online players sure to hamper your enjoyment of the online modes.
    --Merits: Get More Than Your Money's Worth, Great Sequel, Great Sound Effects, Great Story, Outstanding Gameplay, Plays Well With Others, Strong Competetive Multiplayer, Terrific Voice Acting.
    --Reviewer: Jeff Gerstmann

Eurogamer: 10/10
    --And yet, hype machine aside, cutting through the crap about console wars and the like, what we find in Halo 3 is quite simply this - the best game yet in one of the best FPS franchises of the era. Better than either of its predecessors, Halo 3 still can't quite escape the category of flawed masterpiece - but this time around, the flaws are so minor that even the most churlish of reviewers would be hard pressed to mark the game down.
    --Reviewer: Rob Fahey

Gamespy.com: 5/5
    ---Pros: The Forge; four-player co-op over Xbox Live; brilliant storyline finishes the fight.
    ---Cons: Single-player campaign is somewhat short; wishing you'd pre-ordered a Legendary Edition.
    --Reviewer: Gabe Graziani
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 23-Sep-2007 at 11:25 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    oh that game trailers review was bollox "multiple difficultys" "streams the game from the disc" it was all crap, im 100% sure that the reviewer has not played halo this was given away by stuff like "needlers suck" and the biggest giveaway "cotrtanas missing somewere".

THAT DUDE DID NOT PLAY THE GAMES

just thought id post this 15 sec vid of a halo 3 unsc trooper getting infected by the flood, now that is bitchin'

Last edited by Danny; 23-Sep-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The last live action short can be found here, its the closest thing we'll get to a Halo movie for a while, looks great:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/last-one...lo-sweeps.html

And that negative review was terrible. Its worded like some grumpy PC gamer with a vendetta against Xbox Live. And He played through it on normal? Weaksauce.
    Last edited by CoinReturn; 24-Sep-2007 at 01:54 PM.

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    The last live action short can be found here, its the closest thing we'll get to a Halo movie for a while, looks great:
    Phew, that was great!

Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post
    And that negative review was terrible. Its worded like some grumpy PC gamer with a vendetta against Xbox Live. And He played through it on normal? Weaksauce.
    Yeah, I was gonna say. That was a phenomenally unprofessional review.