Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DAWN of the DEAD Prop Gun

Dying

Undisclosed
    Skippy1911sc wrote
    The dust cover will automatically open when the bolt is slid into firing position and the 22lr blanks are A LOT less powerful than the 5.56 or .223 blanks...and yes when a blank is fired something comes out of the barrel...often a piece of wax...think about Branden Lees fate.
    7 Hours Ago 04:55 AM
    Actually, SOME blanks will discharge something through the muzzle. In the case of the M16/M4 series rifles firing the M200 blank cartridge, a M15A2 blank firing attachment must be fitted to make the system function. The BFA effectively blocks the muzzle from discharge.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Undisclosed
    Found out some additional info about the M-16 from Clayton Hill. He handled the weapons on the set and said there was no way to keep track of which M-16 was used in which scene and by which character because those guns were all the same and each day of filming was different. He would often take the weapons back as soon as a scene was finished because "everyone wanted to play around with them."

I asked about the number of M-16s used because you can see at least a dozen in some shots, like the military/posse scenes. Clayton said that they didn't actually have that many, and that those particular guns in the posse scenes were probably provided by the national guardsmen that played extras (good call, Yojimbo!)

Also dug out the autographed photo from Gary "Dr. Z" Zeller on which he wrote "Dawn of the Dead M-16 is guaranteed to scare and destroy zombies + it did!"

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Found out some additional info about the M-16 from Clayton Hill. He handled the weapons on the set and said there was no way to keep track of which M-16 was used in which scene and by which character because those guns were all the same and each day of filming was different. He would often take the weapons back as soon as a scene was finished because "everyone wanted to play around with them."

I asked about the number of M-16s used because you can see at least a dozen in some shots, like the military/posse scenes. Clayton said that they didn't actually have that many, and that those particular guns in the posse scenes were probably provided by the national guardsmen that played extras (good call, Yojimbo!)

Also dug out the autographed photo from Gary "Dr. Z" Zeller on which he wrote "Dawn of the Dead M-16 is guaranteed to scare and destroy zombies + it did!"
    WOW! I remember when Zeller was selling off some of his stuff on Ebay -- He (actually his assistant) offered me an M-16 for something like $400 - not sure if it's the one you have -- being in college at the time I wasn't too rich so I had to pass -- I do have one of Zeller's prop .357 Magnums from Dawn and a prop zombie hand used in an explosives effect (it's just a mannequin hand with some grey and red paint -- but it's still cool!)...

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeillusion View Post
    WOW! I remember when Zeller was selling off some of his stuff on Ebay -- He (actually his assistant) offered me an M-16 for something like $400 - not sure if it's the one you have -- being in college at the time I wasn't too rich so I had to pass -- I do have one of Zeller's prop .357 Magnums from Dawn and a prop zombie hand used in an explosives effect (it's just a mannequin hand with some grey and red paint -- but it's still cool!)...
    Yeah, it was about 8-9 years ago when Zeller's assistant was offering some props on ebay. We talked about this in another thread before I posted the photos here. I originally bid on Flyboy's pistol (the one he found in the mall maintenance room) and I think they were also offering a rubber baseball bat, but I couldn't identify where it was used in the film, so I passed.

I won the pistol, but we eventually figured out it wasn't actually the handgun used in DAWN so he gave me a good price on the M-16. I was thinking of selling the M-16 until Clayton Hill informed me they didn't use that many in the film, and that the weapons were rotated each day so nobody can tell which actor used which M-16. My wife wishes it was still working so that she could shoot me in the head for buying it.

The .357 Magnum and the prop hand sound great--can you post some photos here?
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 02-Nov-2007 at 08:11 AM.

United States
    My wife wishes it was still working so that she could shoot me in the head for buying it.
    Dude, your wife and mine should get together and go bowling!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States

I Got One Too!!!

Inspired by Dubious posts, and after doing some research I have purchased and received one of the last remaining M-16s used in DOTD that were in Gary Zeller's possession. Apparently, there are still two left over from the film, but Zeller has indicated that he is going to keep one for his own collection and his son wants the other one.

I cannot tell you how stoked I am to get this into my hands. Zeller sent it with a Certificate of Authenticity and the rifle still has dried zombie blood on it! Freaking incredible!

Had to beg my wife for permission to purchase this, and certainly it cost more than I can really afford, but all things considered I am a very happy freak right now, in debt as I am.

I will post pictures of it as soon as I get a chance, but had to share the news with the heads here at HPOTD.

Special thanks to Dubious for inspiring me to take steps to realize a longtime dream.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Inspired by Dubious posts, and after doing some research I have purchased and received one of the last remaining M-16s used in DOTD that were in Gary Zeller's possession. Apparently, there are still two left over from the film, but Zeller has indicated that he is going to keep one for his own collection and his son wants the other one.

I cannot tell you how stoked I am to get this into my hands. Zeller sent it with a Certificate of Authenticity and the rifle still has dried zombie blood on it! Freaking incredible!

Had to beg my wife for permission to purchase this, and certainly it cost more than I can really afford, but all things considered I am a very happy freak right now, in debt as I am.

I will post pictures of it as soon as I get a chance, but had to share the news with the heads here at HPOTD.

Special thanks to Dubious for inspiring me to take steps to realize a longtime dream.
    Wow, how much did it cost that you had to ask your wife for permission?

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Congratulations, dude! I am really happy for you. Can't wait to see those photos!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by jim102016 View Post
    Wow, how much did it cost that you had to ask your wife for permission?
    Embarrassed to say, but high enough that only a die-hard DOTD 78 freak like me would even consider spending, and way beyond the amount that a married dude can spend without consulting his wife (those of you who are married can probably relate)

Congratulations, dude! I am really happy for you. Can't wait to see those photos!
    Thanks, brother, will post as soon as I figure out how
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 12-Jan-2008 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Ireland
    didnt see a mag eject button either jims right. Also the hatch as you call it i where the spent shells fly out like anotherposter said but the little cover is to keep mud and muck out of the breech ofperhaps the Finikiest weapon EVER made the A1.

Nice find though
    People don't go to hell for doing bad things, they go to hell for doing NOTHING.