Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DAWN of the DEAD Prop Gun

Undisclosed

DAWN of the DEAD Prop Gun

A few quick photos for Yojimbo. I kept the image sizes large so that you can see the detail:

Gary Zeller modified the gun so that it will no longer fire, though the safety and trigger still work. The empty clip also pops out for "reloading" (thought I'd taken a photo of the clip, but I guess I didn't). There is a serial number near the top handle, and "Jäger" is embossed near the grip. All metal parts except for the long piece around the barrel as well as the stock (the part Roger uses to take out the Hare Krishna zombie), both of which are plastic.

After checking photos and screencaps, I don't see any difference between the hero guns used by Roger and Peter, and those used by the extras. Maybe a dozen of these guns are used in the film--just watch the posse scene and the raid on the tenement building. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of firearms can spot some differences. I'll post more photos soon.

Update: Found this link, it looks nearly identical to a Jäger M161A Assault Rifle
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 06-Oct-2007 at 11:38 AM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Friggin sweet! How much do those usually go for?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    A few quick photos for Yojimbo. I kept the image sizes large so that you can see the detail:

All metal parts except for the long piece around the barrel as well as the stock (the part Roger uses to take out the Hare Krishna zombie), both of which are plastic.
    Thanks, Dubious. That is too cool for words.

BTW: For the Hare Krishna zombie, I think that Roger used the butt of the bolt action rifle -- not sure of the make and model -- as he had already lost his rifle to M-16 Zombie in Pennys. I'll have to check the film again, but I am pretty sure that he did not whack the guy with the M-16.

But for all intents and purposes, you could very well have Roger's/M-16 zombie's hero weapon, if it isn't one of those that appeared in the basement of Project 107. The only M-16s carried in the posse sequence were with the soldiers, all of whom as I understand it were actual National Guardsmen who would have shown up with their G.I. M-16s or AR-15s (which were standard issue at that time for the Guard.) It is possible, though that this one was used in the sequence where the Guardsmen pop the redneck zombies ("look out behind you!")

Sounds like you would be able to convert that back to live-ammo capable with a little bit of gunsmithing. The plastic stock and foreguard were standard on Vietnam Era M-16s and AR-15s, so the only things that would have been changed from original is the mechanism which would allow blanks to be fired, and any sort of fiddling done to make this incapable of cycling ammo.

Dude, I am so, so envious! Thanks for sharing!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    Doh! You are correct about the Hare Krishna zombie--I was fixating on the gun stock and forgot about Roger losing his M-16 to the zombie.

During my e-mail conversation with Gary Zeller's rep, I was under the impression that a bunch of these M-16s were available during filming. I don't think it's a coincidence that they show up in just about every scene where multiple weapons are shown. It's nearly 10 years ago, but I also recall there being some question when I bought this item that no shoulder strap was shown in the eBay photos. They made sure to send me one that had a shoulder strap as seen in the movie, which leads me to believe that Zeller had (and possibly still has) a number of the same gun on-hand.

Do you know what the hatch is for in the fourth photo? I left it it open so that you could see detail inside. Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to firearms.
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 05-Oct-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Undisclosed
    Do you know what the hatch is for in the fourth photo? I left it it open so that you could see detail inside. Sorry, I am ignorant when it comes to firearms.

Nice.

The hatch is where the spent shells fly out when you are firing the gun.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by C5NOTLD View Post
    Nice.

The hatch is where the spent shells fly out when you are firing the gun.
    I think C5 is correct, though I had heard that with a .22 caliber action there is a different ejection mechanism than the M-16/AR-15 in 5.56 or .223 which is a gas-operated system, unlike most .22 caliber systems which are "blowback" (Apparently there is not enough "gas" generated by the .22 as compared to 5.56.) So, while this hatch would be where the shells would come out on a .223, since I am unfamiliar with the conversion I am not sure if the ejector works in the same way.

One of the veterans here, like ProfessorChaos, would know a lot more about this, since the Marines get a lot of detailed training in firearms (and specifically the workings of an M-16.)

Still totally envious, even if it isn't a hero weapon.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 05-Oct-2007 at 11:42 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Dying

Undisclosed
    There are various external differences that make it obvious that it isn't an M-16. With the ejection port cover opened, it really becomes apparent, as the .22 version (I believe there was also a .32 ACP version) is much shorter and possesses a rimfire-type extractor.

I too, am envious.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodFight View Post
    There are various external differences that make it obvious that it isn't an M-16. With the ejection port cover opened, it really becomes apparent, as the .22 version (I believe there was also a .32 ACP version) is much shorter and possesses a rimfire-type extractor.

I too, am envious.

Looks like an M-16, but there's a difference I noticed before I even went into the service. When bird-brain Stephen shoots at the zombie at the airport and Peter is almost hit in the office....look at how Peter reloads his rifle. He doesn't take out the entire magazine as one would with an M-16, he takes out the center piece. Just look at the picture that started this post, you can see a piece protruding from the bottom of the magazine. With an M-16, M16A2 or M-4, you pull out the entire magazine. Other things stand out as well, looking at the exposed bolt and the ejection port it doesn't look like it's for 5.56. I also didn't see a way to release the magazine anyway? I've always thought this strange, perhaps its a Hollywood thing? Its indeed a strange animal.
    Last edited by jim102016; 06-Oct-2007 at 06:17 AM.

Dying

Undisclosed
    The magazine release is located on the 'fake' magazine housing. I examined one of these many years ago and wasn't impressed with the workmanship it displayed.

On a similar note, I was once issued an M-16 which had been retrofitted to M-16A1 status by welding a rather akward forward assist to the receiver and a crudely hand stamped 'A1' (which didn't line up with the other print). It probably would have made a better movie prop than a fighting arm.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?

Undisclosed
    Man, you guys know your guns better than I know my relatives.

I posted a sixth photo above showing the clip popped out of the magazine. The clip is that piece that protrudes from the bottom of the fake magazine. If you look at the fourth photo, the button that pops the clip out is located to the bottom left of the magazine, just as FoodFight said.

Dead

Undisclosed
    Man, you guys know your guns better than I know my relatives.

I posted a sixth photo above showing the clip popped out of the magazine. The clip is that piece that protrudes from the bottom of the fake magazine. If you look at the fourth photo, the button that pops the clip out is located to the bottom left of the magazine, just as FoodFight said.
    Good picture, it looks like a magazine one would shove into a pistol. A strange, strange animal indeed. Maybe the prop guys found these at some lunatic's garage sale years ago. Any idea what caliber it was modified to fire?
    Last edited by jim102016; 06-Oct-2007 at 07:37 PM.

Undisclosed
    The are 22 Long Rifle converted AR-15's. I remember looking into it way back in the day ...

The do make stock versions of the 22 LR version (as well as a 9mm version) But they are also available as conversion kits. (Much to complicated for the average plunker to put in).

I would asume that they used the 22 LR version for a few reasons... cheaper blanks, safer blanks (less velocity for the plug) and much less sound than a .223.

But I have no inside info ... I could be wrong.

Dying

Undisclosed
    It's not a conversion. The Jaeger was a purpose-built Italian arm. Colt and others have made conversion units, as well as complete uppers for 9mm, but the Jaeger unit has no provision for gas operation, possesses poor workmanship and metallurgy, and probably couldn't stand up to .223 pressure. Still and all, a specimen like this with its' history, would make it worth more than its' inherent value as a wall-hanger.

Undisclosed
    An AR-15 or M-16 type rifle is very common in 9mm. A lot of guys like to plink with the smaller round. And with the way the Iraq Conflict rages some even say the .223 or 5.56 round is getting a little hard to come by. I have not personally seen an AR-15 in .22 caliber but I have in 9mm. I own 2 in standard .223 or 5.56. I think the modifications to the weapon to make it capable of firing in .22, Lightening the bolt mechanism, would also allow it to function the gas system. I have a ruger in 22 LR and it is a gas powered semi auto. If someone can point to a tutorial on posting pics I will post a few of the interal mech of an AR15. However I did notice the hollowed out Magazine on peters gun at the airport scene.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by FoodFight View Post
    The magazine release is located on the 'fake' magazine housing. I examined one of these many years ago and wasn't impressed with the workmanship it displayed.

On a similar note, I was once issued an M-16 which had been retrofitted to M-16A1 status by welding a rather akward forward assist to the receiver and a crudely hand stamped 'A1' (which didn't line up with the other print). It probably would have made a better movie prop than a fighting arm.
    I am unfamiliar with the M-16A1 and it's difference from the actual M-16 (which admittedly, I am largely unfamiliar with as well) Is the A1 status simply due to the addition of a forward assist mechanism (to seat the round) or is it a caliber difference (such as some sort of conversion to .22 for training purposes)?

Forgive my ignorance, but any light you can shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated.