Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "What's Causin' All This?!"

United States

"What's Causin' All This?!"

It seems every "zombie flick" has its own take on what causes the outbreak, in the first place.

The Romero films, however, are famous for "never explaining" how the dead are able to rise. I think that's part of the appeal.

Now, I'm thinking each of us has a different "ideal" theory on what they think should have caused the outbreaks.

So, if you were making a zombie movie, and wanted to explain how it got started, what would be your scenario?

Personally, I would steer far clear of the "virus" routine. I HATE the "Virus Theory". Been done to death. Almost every damned one has some stupid "virus" causing everything. I'm sick of viruses.

So, what else can we do? Here's what:

We know something is reactivating the brain. The center of the nervous system. Now, that whole system is electrical in nature.

I'm thinking that some..."electrical disturbance" could be what causes the outbreak. Something (don't know what, though...) could have screwed up electromagnetic patterns worldwide, and a side-effect of this is that low-intensity electrical charges are partially reactivating the nervous systems of the dead.

......bring on your theories.

Super Moderator

United States
    Global Warming

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post

I'm thinking that some..."electrical disturbance" could be what causes the outbreak. Something (don't know what, though...) could have screwed up electromagnetic patterns worldwide, and a side-effect of this is that low-intensity electrical charges are partially reactivating the nervous systems of the dead.
    This is interesting, what if it were brought on by slightly atypical fluctuations that are present leading up to a geomagnetic reversal of the poles? We're almost due for one and some say there is evidence that we may be going into early onset of the process even now.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would keep it as Romero has kept it with his series. It doesn't matter what started it....we have to deal with it and we wouldn't be able to. That's what it's about - dealing with it. F*ck the cause of it all.

If Dr. Frankenstein couldn't figure it out, I don't want to know.

United States
    Where's the fun in that?

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

This is interesting, what if it were brought on by slightly atypical fluctuations that are present leading up to a geomagnetic reversal of the poles? We're almost due for one and some say there is evidence that we may be going into early onset of the process even now.
    Didn't think of the pole-reversal. That could be reasonable.

United States
    I like the pole reversal theory much better than a virus, or a stupid governmental bio-warfare accident.

That being said, I agree with bassman that the causes aren't as important as the effect. The dead are rising for whatever reason and the drama exists in the fact that our lives are at risk.

Really, with the Romero based universe, the fun in the films exists in the characters and how they survive, not in the nuts and bolts of why the phenomenon exists. The zombie crisis could just as easily be a hurricane, or an outbreak of a devastating illness, or an earthquake.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 11-Oct-2007 at 08:27 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed
    I personally like the idea from Dawn of the Dead; there is no more room in hell.

Radiation from some galactic body would be my favorite explanation.

England
    Sorry but the virus is the only one that makes any sense to me,i dont buy the radiation and falling satellites stuff!stephen kings "cell" was interesting though,even if they werent strictly zombies...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Sorry but the virus is the only one that makes any sense to me,i dont buy the radiation and falling satellites stuff!stephen kings "cell" was interesting though,even if they werent strictly zombies...
    Tricky, not familar with the S.King "cell" reference. Can you elaborate?

Thanks homeboy!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Global Warming

It's funny that you said that because that's the first thing that came to mind when I read the electrical disturbance theory. Then I scroll down to the next post and you post whats in my head. GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    not familar with the S.King "cell" reference. Can you elaborate?
    Read the book. Great stuff, until about halfway through. Then, it gets stupid for me.

Anyway:

Cell phone rings. Someone answers. Some mysterious signal ('The Pulse") comes through their phone, and erases their minds. They eqaute the brain to a computer hard drive, and "The Pulse" served to "system restore" their brains. So, none of the "software" (everything a person learns from birth) is there anymore.

Then....they head into the second half of the book, and I stop liking it.

United States
    I like the idea of a supernatural cause. If the cause of the phenomenon is supernatural, it cannot be explained through science.

United States
    I HATE magic and the supernatural! Always have, always will. I never saw Romero's zombies as being supernatural in nature...I always felt there was a quasi-scientific cause for it, it just never got figured out because of how fast everything fell to hell.
    A virus is the thing that probably makes the most sense. It spreads fast and would be undetectable for a while. If I had to go with one of the theories given in one of the movies, I guess I would have to go with the satellite returning from Venus. It's something (a virus perhaps?) that spreads thru the atmosphere. If you listen to the news reports in the background of Night, there is even a clear "dispersal pattern" to the epidemic in it's earliest stages. Sounds like a disease to me!
    I like a scientific explanation for things...I just need one! The undead I could deal with, but Voodo and Hocus Pocus is just too "out there" for me.
    Besides, how it happened isn't important. Surviving it is!

United States
    i'd do something related to the meteorite hitting in peru a month or so ago and spewing all kinds of foreign gasses into the atmosphe....or a comet passing too close to the earth and giving off loads of radiation.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    My list of likely candidates for generating zombies: nano-organism, artificial life form created in a lab, a fragment of alien technology, a mutation in humanity brought about a new disease, chemicals, microwave pollution, or who knows what.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i agree the virus deal is getting old and aside from romero david moodys the only other dude to even hint that it was somethign youll never find out, in the 3rd book they meet someone who thinks it was a virus, but its like y the last man, theres tons of theorys, and i think its best to leave it like that, just like the walking dead comics "the dead walk" is all you need to know really.