Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting (anti-)global warming article...

Administrator

England

Interesting (anti-)global warming article...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    this is just me nitpicking but shouldnt it be "anti/against the thoery of global warming?, cus how can you be "anti global warming" itself?, so then if it happens do you run out of your house shooting the sky whilst yelling "back!,back global warming, youll not take my house!"?

yeah its picky, but i got a good gag out of it.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    this is just me nitpicking but shouldnt it be "anti/against the thoery of global warming?, cus how can you be "anti global warming" itself?, so then if it happens do you run out of your house shooting the sky whilst yelling "back!,back global warming, youll not take my house!"?

yeah its picky, but i got a good gag out of it.
    Happy now
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    im sittin' here with a choclate biscuit and a mug of tea girnning to myself, so you can bet the balls of an icy bastard im happy

Undisclosed
    Don't laugh at mother earth.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    *waves off the warning, points at the ground and jeers*

*and is promptly curshed by a boulder*

Thing is if global warming is fact, and to be fair i think climate change is the right term ,some places are gonna get colder, not were i live unfortunately, i saw a documentary on this that as a "what if" and middle england turned form a verdant green area of woodlands and rolling plains of grass to a desert wasteland, least well have a beach though but point is, fear the earth isnt the right term here, its fear man, the one thats killing it, seriously, imagine if global warmings true and we destory the world through pollution, if alien archeologists found earth millienia later wed probably jsut be aclled "planet killers" or something...or "the planet of the apes" , which would be kind of ironic.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll give the article a read, but for something that has barely been properly debated globally, the debate certainly isn't over.

Get that chemical finished that stops animals huffing ass-gas out their bum-bums!

Did you see that Al Gore got the freaking Nobel Peace Prize (yeah, shared with those UN folk, but whatever) ... ug ...

ManBearPig isn't real, gol...

Also, did you see the thing on the news where a judge (was it banned?) An Inconvenient Truth from secondary schools where the gubment had pimped off a load of copies? HAHAHA - f*ckin' too right.

It's education you freaking morons, BOTH SIDES OF THE FREAKING COIN PLEASE! Sheesh! Also the judge saying something along the lines of 'there are 9 theories put forth in A.I.T. which are false/unproven' - haha, how's that for an inconvenient truth. It's alarmist most definitely, it's also a movie masquerading as a documentary - like those Michael Moore things, they're dressed up as movies to make idiots go watch them to boost their box office numbers.

As you all know, I question both the extent of mankind's involvement, as well as the evidence of the pro-theory bandwagon ... somebody said recently that 'going green' is the new religion, yep, I can certainly understand that assertion ... the time for research is far from over, the argument is far from won & conclusive.

Besides, I despise the way the pro-theory bandwagon has draped it's rabid pro-theory passion all over recycling and renewable fuels, which are the next natural step in mankind's ascent anyway. Relatively speaking the industrial revolution only just happened, we now have our industry, so the next step is seeing about making that industry as efficient and renewable as possible - it's just the next step, but it's all been marred by the frothy-mouthed vitriol of Al Gore & Co (a man who, when posed the thought that he isn't right/not entirely right, by Richard Madeley on TV, went stone-faced cold with disgust).

And then the thing about Bush's home being greener than Gore's, hahaha, f*ckin' n00b.

*starts thinking of that episode of South Park about hybrid cars ... hahaha*

Undisclosed
    This guy is kind of a goofball in the scientific world....he is predicting a coming Ice Age it seems as if his criticisms are skewed to support this viewpoint....Also he felt that the movement to remove lead from gasoline was based on a "stupid and fraudulent myth," (apparently he believes this regardless of the direct correlation that when lead was removed from gasoline the levels of lead in people's bloodstreams lowered.) ....

He has written articles in previous years very similar to this one using much of the same information and similar conclusions which were always heavily criticized for utilizing half truths and misinformation....a critique on one of these earlier papers can be found here http://www.someareboojums.org/blog/?p=7 .....

But hell lets give him the benefit of the doubt....So instead of global warming we are facing global cooling.....so either way rapid global climate change is occurring...Just one is caused both directly and indirectly by man and the other is not

Hell if he is half right...and the scores of other people saying global warming is happening is half right too.....then nothing should happen...lol

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

England
    Our industry now is cleaner than it has ever been,i dont see how they can make it much cleaner other than shutting it down & having us all revert back to the stoneage!Go to middlesbrough and have a look at the buildings from the industrial revolution that havent been shotblasted clean,they are as black as coal & thats from the days when the industrial fumes were that thick it was like a permanent black fog over the city,and every other industrial city in the country was the same,now that was pollution!We've come a long way but people still demand the same high levels of production from industry,without it we couldnt sustain the populations needs or our economy.Victims of our own damn intelligence & success....

Super Moderator

UK
    Clean, renewable fuels will come. Recycling will be done properly (and not just organised-for-recycling junk getting tossed in landfill regardless - there was a whole doc on Channel 4 about that a while back), but it takes time, it has to be gradual and seep in.

It's completely not in the least bit practical or possible to just click some fingers and then boom, issue solved. It's a matter of our own evolution, and it takes time, and like Tricky has said, if the pollution was like it was back in the day then we'd really be monged ... and still, it's the big ones like China, India and America that need to be bothering, not the freaking UK, a pokey little island whose contribution is so small it'd be taken over in mere months by one of the biggies, if we shut down entirely.

In other words, the renewable, clean and recycled way of life is a gradual process, it cannot be any other way. There's 6 to 7 billion people wrapped up in this thing we call life.

And I still find the fact that a big-engined Mercedes S-Class is more environmentally friendly than a trendy, celeb-loved Toyota Prius.

Undisclosed
    Where an immoral wasteful society concerned with equity: rather than are salvation.

Administrator

England
    Im a famous anti-enviromentalist, in that i know global warming is scientific theory and NOT fact, it has yet to be proved that global warming is happening, enviromentalism, such as it is, is also a money making scam thought up by goverments to rake in more money from gullable citizens. at least in this country

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    in that i know global warming is scientific theory and NOT fact, it has yet to be proved that global warming is happening, enviromentalism, such as it is, is also a money making scam thought up by goverments to rake in more money from gullable citizens. at least in this country
    Theres no such thing as scientific fact....a Scientific Theory is about as close to fact as you can get...
    In common usage, people often use the word theory to signify a conjecture, an opinion, or a speculation. In this usage, a theory is not necessarily based on facts; in other words, it is not required to be consistent with true descriptions of reality. True descriptions of reality are more reflectively understood as statements which would be true independently of what people think about them. In this usage, the word is synonymous with hypothesis. This common usage of theory leads to the common but misguided statement "It's not a fact, it's only a theory."

In science, a theory is a mathematical or logical explanation, or a testable model of the manner of interaction of a set of natural phenomena, capable of predicting future occurrences or observations of the same kind, and capable of being tested through experiment or otherwise falsified through empirical observation. It follows from this that for scientists "theory" and "fact" do not necessarily stand in opposition. For example, it is a fact that an apple dropped on earth has been observed to fall towards the center of the planet, and the theories commonly used to describe and explain this behaviour are Newton's theory of universal gravitation, and general relativity.

I generally dont think much can be done about the current situation.... The ice caps are going to melt now even if we magically stopped all our CO2 Emissions....Now I think its more of an issue of just how fast it is going to happen....

There is no target consumer! Only targets. Targets that will tremble as their new master hands down edicts in my glorious booming voice!

England
    Why delay the inevitable,ride with it & see what happens

Administrator

England
    Ok then but my point was it is only one of many theories, also which which has no real evidence to back it up yet it is commonly taken as fact.

Another theory (personally i think is more plausible) as to why the climate is changing is that the earth is tilting as it spins, as it does very slowly taking millions of years to tilt from position to another, causing global climate change as it does as one end of the planet moves closer to the sun while the other moves further away.

Another fact, wildly overlooked, which backs this theory up is the fact that while yes the north pole is melting and shrinking, the south pole is rapidly growing.

This has happened before and will happen again, it has weight backing it up, unlike the global warming theory, yet it has no money making potential becuase goverments cant use it to scare people into paying extra taxes, so its not as widely regarded.