Thread: Uniontown?!

United States

Uniontown?!

We see that in Land, the Pittsburghers are getting by looting surrounding small towns.

Now, it takes a ton of stuff to support the city. It isn't like a small shopping trip will do it; they would have had to be bringing in large loads of supplies, very often.

Couple that with the fact that all these "small towns" were certain to have been stripped by their inhabitants, before they ran/holed up/got eaten. That means that each little burg has only a small amount of supplies.

Logic would indicate that the people of Pittsburgh would have had to raid many, many such towns to survive even a short period.

But it wasn't even a short period; it's stated that the city was in its current state for at least 3 years. Years. That's a very long time, and many, many supply raids.

Yet, they say that the town they raided at the beginning was Uniontown.

Uniontown is only 40-something miles away. Within that radius, there are only about a dozen similar towns (all would have been stripped-down).

Now, how are we supposed to believe that those very few supplies could have kept the city going for 3 years? It couldn't.

I think that, realistically, by the 3-year mark, Riley and Cholo and the crew would have had to be raiding much farther away; well into Ohio.

Any thoughts?

United States
    Who cares. Was kind of a dumb setup to begin with.

But, to put in my 2 cents. There were what? 4000, maybe 6000 people in the city? A city that size is built to support a MUCH greater populace. I think they could survive rather well on the surrounding towns in just 3 years. No prob.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

England
    Population was probably a lot lower at the start, maybe just a few hundred folks to start with (if that, I've never seen a zombie movie with anymore than a few dozen survivors in one group).

Undisclosed
    Hmm, well I live in Ohio & there is a Uniontown here too, although I doubt it's the Uniontown they were supposedly looting in the film.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnoftheDead View Post
    Hmm, well I live in Ohio & there is a Uniontown here too, although I doubt it's the Uniontown they were supposedly looting in the film.

mm hmm,ur right. most likely uniontown pa...unless they renamed a city

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnoftheDead View Post
    That would make sense. Unless, that is, the "Cleveland outpost" hadn't already raided it.

Just been bitten

United States

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    mm hmm,ur right. most likely uniontown pa...unless they renamed a city
    It's not anywhere in PA. You can tell by the cigar display in the liquor store. All liquor stores in Pennsylvania are run by the state and they don't sell tobacco products (or anything not directly realted to wine and spirits). Until a few years ago you couldn't even buy mixers or corkscrews in them.
    God is Santa Claus for adults

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hadrian0117 View Post
    It's not anywhere in PA. You can tell by the cigar display in the liquor store. All liquor stores in Pennsylvania are run by the state and they don't sell tobacco products (or anything not directly realted to wine and spirits). Until a few years ago you couldn't even buy mixers or corkscrews in them.
    Damn, keen detail!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    lol, but the movie was actually filmed in Canada.

oh and 200th post!!!!
    Last edited by clanglee; 02-Nov-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    lol, but the movie was actually filmed in Canada.
    Your point?

I assume it's the obvious point that they didn't bother to take these things into consideration when shooting the film. Never the less, it's a plausible point that Hadrian brings up. Whether people choose to use that piece of information is up to them, but it's just as valid (perhaps more so) than the sh1tload of assumptions people have already made in this thread.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    wow, touchy.

Well, you just stated my point. I don't think the filmakers looked that closely into it.
    Last edited by clanglee; 02-Nov-2007 at 10:57 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by hadrian0117 View Post
    All liquor stores in Pennsylvania are run by the state and they don't sell tobacco products (or anything not directly realted to wine and spirits). Until a few years ago you couldn't even buy mixers or corkscrews in them.

sort of like in canada- you can only buy beer at a state run store called "the beer store" you go up to the dude at the register, tell him what you want and it comes out of the back on a conveyor belt-no crap. alcohol is the only thing you can get there and you can't get alcohol anywhere else- not even at a place like 7/11. nowhere. unless you are in a bar/club with a booze license, of course.

the set up in ohio is pretty much the same as PA. you can't buy anything that exceeds 40proof in a store other than a special liquor store that has a state tax license,
    Last edited by Mike70; 14-Nov-2007 at 07:40 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Well, I'd definitely say it was supposed to be Uniontown, PA, because as they're leaving from the raid you can see Fiddler's Green in the distance, which at the same time is impossible considering that Uniontown is about an hours drive away.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    sort of like in canada- you can only buy beer at a state run store called "the beer store" you go up to the dude at the register, tell him what you want and it comes out of the back on a conveyor belt-no crap. alcohol is the only thing you can get there and you can't get alcohol anywhere else- not even at a place like 7/11. nowhere. unless you are in a bar/club with a booze license, of course.

the set up in ohio is pretty much the same as PA. you can't buy anything that exceeds 40proof in a store other than a special liquor store that has a state tax license,

i like how the east coast is like 30 years behind california in terms of liquor not being sold at corner stores