Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: X-Files 2

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Somehow I've completely missed this thread up until now.

I'm not a dedicated fan of the show, but I will occasionally watch it. However, I absolutely love the first film, and this looks pretty good, so I'll definitely see it.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio70 View Post
    word to the first - i loved the first 4 seasons of the x-files. after that my interest in it gradually declined. the seasons with reyes and doggett are, in my opinion, total crap.

i hope it does have a supernatural theme. the horror stories (or scifi/horror) they did on that show were head and shoulders above the "mythology" (supresses a shudder) stories. a few of those eps like "kaddish", "shapes", and "die hand, die verletzt" are some of the best horror themed tv ever - at least i think so.

is it just me, or was skinner getting his ass kicked all througout season 3? he was beaten up,tossed down stairs, almost shot and wrestled X in mulder's hallway

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by acealive1 View Post
    is it just me, or was skinner getting his ass kicked all througout season 3? he was beaten up,tossed down stairs, almost shot and wrestled X in mulder's hallway
    All of that sounds familiar, but it seems crazy that it might have all happened in one season

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    All of that sounds familiar, but it seems crazy that it might have all happened in one season
    at like season 5,i reflected back and was like "wow" cuz skinner had also been nearly offed by krycek.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My girlfriend and I have become completely hooked on the X-Files series. The question I'm asking is should I finish watching all of the seasons before checking this movie out? Or does it not have many ties to old things that I'll need to reference?

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Bet few have noticed this but Scully is immortal.
    In season 3 'Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose' she asks him (the psychic) how she dies and he smiles and says "you dont die." then in season 6 an immortal photographer chasing death takes her death, at the end it's noted she's healed faster.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    My girlfriend and I have become completely hooked on the X-Files series. The question I'm asking is should I finish watching all of the seasons before checking this movie out? Or does it not have many ties to old things that I'll need to reference?
    You must watch the entire show before seeing "I Want To Believe" I say, that way the movie works MUCH better and you get the MOST out of it. References to prior events will then make sense, and mean more too.

I've been whoring up the entire X-Files saga recently too. As I'd said earlier in this thread, I was there from the beginning, so when this second X-Files movie came out I watched it straight away (as I'd already seen the entire series and the first movie), and that's what spurred me on to get into the show again and I've been infatuated with it for the past two months as a result (now mid-way through season 8, just ordered season 9).

I'm watching it all in chronological order, so it goes:

1) Seasons 1 through 5
    2) The X-Files: Fight the Future (the first movie)
    3) Seasons 6 through 8
    4) The Lone Gunmen (single season spin off)
    5) Season 9
    6) The X-Files: I Want To Believe (second movie)

I might have to do The Lone Gunmen out of order as it's tough to find a copy that's in stock and priced fairly.

I've got the second move pre-ordered as well, the fancy-pants special edition.

Rottedfreak - aye, I noticed those things too. I guess they're there for the hardcore fans, or for people with attention to detail, and not overtly important enough so that the average viewer has to know about that stuff.

It's funny reading my posts from last year, saying 'I must get all the box sets and have a marathon' - and here I am one year later doing just that. Also, I guess as I was watching the show when I was much younger, my memory retention wasn't as good - as well as watching it 'as it aired' - I didn't get the continuity as much.

Now though, watching it all back-to-back, when I want and how many episodes a day I want, it's WICKED-COOL! The alien conspiracy stuff is far better than my scattered memories suggested, a lot more compelling - but then again, I'm a decade older now, so I've definitely been appreciating the show on a far higher level than I was when I was originally watching it as a teenager.

F*ck I love this show!!!

And that good people, was my 12,000th post.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Oct-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like I won't be seeing this movie for quite some time, then. We're still on season one!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Looks like I won't be seeing this movie for quite some time, then. We're still on season one!
    It depends on what your watching style is. If you like to watch an episode and then meditate on it, which is totally legitimate considering the profoundness of each individual episode, then yeah, it might take a while. But if that's not your thing you can rip through it in like 3 months.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    I've been utterly barging The X-Files for the past two months, which has mostly replaced my entire TV viewing schedule (bar the odd thing). Mind you, it has made me procrastinate on a few things I'd have otherwise been getting on with, lol ... but the show's so damn awesome!

It's definitely far far far better to watch it chronologically, otherwise the meaning and impact of I Want To Believe will be completely and utterly wasted, as well as dishing out spoilers for episodes you haven't seen yet.

Trust me, watch it chronologically - do it right.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Saw it, what a disappointment, I know it's the first X Files anything in six years but we have DVDs and reruns featuring episodes of superior quality, this wasn't even a monster of the week style one, more a human phenomenon episode like Roland or Aubrey,

with themes about stem cells and head transplants.

*edited by MZ to hide a plot spoiler*
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Nov-2008 at 09:37 AM.