Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 30 Days Of Night

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

30 Days Of Night

Did anybody else see this yet?

I thought it was a great horror film; in my opinion, the best horror this millenium; the best vampire flick since Near Dark. It gets straight to the intensity within minutes, which is awesome.

The usage of an entirely original score is great, and the fact that the music is sparingly used is even greater. I was expecting to hear some shoddy nu-metal thrown in during action sequences but thankfully there was just great atmospheric music or sometimes no music at all, which would add to the suspense.

The actors were all great. Especially Melissa George... but I'm biased because I think she's absolutely gorgeous. Mark Boone was really cool. All of the vampires were well chosen and pretty freaky.

I've heard a few reviews knocking this, saying it was silly or just horrendous, but I 100% disagree and most people I've spoken to are on the same page as me, saying it's the best horror movie in years.

I give it a 9/10... which is amazing for my standards.

United States
    I have to agree, it was really freaking good. I do have a couple minor complaints, but overall they are just me being picky. I will put them in a spoiler tag so I don't give away anything.

For instance, the main massacre of the village occurs in one day, yet the blood on the vampires stays fresh looking for the entire film. Also, the blood in the snow would have been covered during the blizzard, but soon after you can still see blood in the streets.

However, that overhead shot of the slaughter was amazing.

So thats pretty much the extent of my complaints. I still would give it an 8.5/10, it is definatly an awesome movie.
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree, Jonas. That was pretty much the only complaint I had, too, which is rare because these days pretty much every new movie that comes out I have tons of complaints about.

And, yes, that overhead shot of the town was VERY impressive.

Super Moderator

United States
    First off, thank you for using spoiler markings and not giving too much away and thank you for passing on the positive reviews. Now, I'm stoked to see this!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    The reviews on AICN haven't been too good... Just goes to show!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    not out here yet but im definatley looking forward to it.

United States

Thumbs up

I finally just got to see the movie and really loved it... most people i've talked to said they didn't enjoy it or they liked it but that its nothing great or anything... heck of the five people who went with me only one other person loved it as much...

Without spoiling it I will say Boo in that... I felt there were a few discrepencies in the movie that made it seem shoddy but similarly could be fodder for a 30 DON forum in itself where we could debate it like we do the dead series.

For the most part though I thought the movie was great and loved it because we haven't seen a new vampire movie in theaters in a while (last one I recall was that Kate Beckinsale flick) and its been a LONG time since a vampire movie kinda broke the typical mold. The movie was pretty slow paced and lagged a lot but when stuff happened it rocked. I have to say... I plan to read the graphic novel on this one because i'm hoping its a bit different and perhaps the story will go on and on.
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MissJacksonCA View Post
    The movie was pretty slow paced and lagged a lot
    You really think so? I thought it was paced perfectly; not too fast, not too slow.

United States
    Thats how I felt... and the five people who went with me... It was kinda like action... calm... action... calm... I mean it didn't ruin the movie and prolly made it more suspenseful like a calm before a storm but I just was craving what was going to come next... my personality is very I want it now... which is why I can't buy gifts for people in advance... I have to give them it early... same reason why I couldn't be trusted not to peek at my presents... I jsut sat there the whole movie gripping my fingers around the arm rests going 'yeah yeah MORE GIVE ME MORE' ... I did kinda feel like a lot of the overhead shots were a bit of a waste and possibly their attempt to continue to show the total isolation of the town but thaaaaaaaaaaaas jus me...

I'm wondering how many pages the script was too because it felt like there wasn't a whole lot of talking either... not that you need it or anything I dunno I have to see it again prefferably when there's less people in the theater it will give me a better chance to take it in...

But hey Mike... got to tell ya... your review was the reason I went to see the movie because the 20 people I know here who've seen it all said not to waste my money... however they'd prolly say the same if Dawn the origional was at the movies because their opinions just dont seem to roll in the same direction as mine do... so hey thanks for the non spoiling review the movie was awesome and i did love it~!
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Glad to hear my review persuaded even just one person from these boards to go see the movie and enjoy it!

Everyone else should follow suit!

Undisclosed
    Hate to piss on the virtual lovefest for this movie, but I will anyway.

Great idea for a story which the filmmakers had no idea how to pull off effectively. Way too many cheap scares with headache-inducing edits and annoyingly loud audio.

Just like DAWN '04, we now have super-fast vampires. On the one hand, they're shown to be intelligent beings, but in the very next scene, they're portrayed as thoughtless savages to the detriment of the entire film. Goth fashion-conscious "vampires" are as laughable on screen as they are in real-life. Now blood-suckers that look just like your next door neighbor--that is scary.

It needs to be mentioned, however, Josh Hartnett did a great job with what little he had to work with. I still would see the movie regardless of anyone's opinion, pro or con, but perhaps save $20 and wait for the $4 DVD rental.

United States
    The look of the vampires did kinda remind me of the vamps from that Fright Night movie... like Charlies girlfriend when she got all psycho...

Undisclosed
    yeah i liked it, but best horror movie of the millinium? come on... far from it. The Devil's Rejects, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Grindhouse, etc. are way better films. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give it a 6 or 7. I liked the Vampires. But, overall the movie was uneven and in my opinion "Cheap scares" ruin movies for me. Ex. when a character is in the background and suddenly someone walks past the camera and we get a sharp loud sound... That kind of crap makes my blood curl.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerva_Zombi View Post
    yeah i liked it, but best horror movie of the millinium? come on... far from it. The Devil's Rejects, 28 Days/Weeks Later, Grindhouse, etc. are way better films.
    That's YOUR opinion...

To me, Grindhouse was half awesome; Planet Terror ruled, although it wasn't like a grindhouse flick; and Death Proof was boring, although it was impressive how grindhouse-esque it was.

The Devils Rejects wasn't really "horrifying". I loved it and all, but it was more gore than horror. I'd even go as far as to say it was pretty much more so an action flick.

I didn't see 28 Weeks Later but 28 Days Later I found pretty good but, again, the second half of the movie, with the military guys, really dragged on and I had just wished it would end for most of that whole segment.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    That's YOUR opinion...

To me, Grindhouse was half awesome; Planet Terror ruled, although it wasn't like a grindhouse flick; and Death Proof was boring, although it was impressive how grindhouse-esque it was.

The Devils Rejects wasn't really "horrifying". I loved it and all, but it was more gore than horror. I'd even go as far as to say it was pretty much more so an action flick.

I didn't see 28 Weeks Later but 28 Days Later I found pretty good but, again, the second half of the movie, with the military guys, really dragged on and I had just wished it would end for most of that whole segment.
    yeah my opinion and most critics and most everyone elses too. if you thought planet terror ruled and death proof was boring. u obviously have bad taste. 30 days of night was barely above average if that. it was nothing i haven't seen before.