Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: A Question of Remakes

Banned User

United States
    Regardless, bro...I've seen people (probably kids, given) go back and forth with lines from the remake at other zombie sites, just as I'm sure that you and I could go back and forth and do the entire phucking script for the original, word for word and not miss a beat, if we were in the same room together.

As for the original NOTLD, I have to disagree...a bit. One of the things I liked about the NOTLD remake is that there was a little more to those characters--especially the way Ben was tricked out in a salesman's suit, and the way the Coopers were dressed (like they were going to a wedding or something).

While I wouldn't want to know much more about the characters in the original, I still wish they weren't so anonymous.

Undisclosed
    I'm not worthy enough to respond to your callout a few posts back, but let's see who's quoting which movie 25 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Svengoolie
    Regardless, bro...I've seen people (probably kids, given) go back and forth with lines from the remake at other zombie sites, just as I'm sure that you and I could go back and forth and do the entire phucking script for the original, word for word and not miss a beat, if we were in the same room together.
    Camelot is a state of mind.

United States
    well I for one will be useing the quotes...

"ok, after you two stop blowing eachother, maybe Davie Crocket here can tell us the deal."

and

"Can you be more of a prick?" "Yes I can but thats beside the point."

for many years to come

"To further complicate, I will now state, that your convictions lack definition and form."

Banned User

United States
    Not to mention when someone says "That's not my problem" your response can be "If I put mah foot up yo ass, would that be a problem?"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Not to mention when someone says "That's not my problem" your response can be "If I put mah foot up yo ass, would that be a problem?"

That's a real meaningful, heartfelt quote

Banned User

United States
    It's still more useful than "They people they KILL get up and KILL!"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Haha, you never let sh*t go...

I wasn't even trying to say that the original had better quotes(although I definitely think it does). I just thought the one you gave was funny. Take a breather, man...

Banned User

United States
    ....but let's see who's quoting which movie 25 years from now.
    Don't speak too soon, Mortis.

By then, the original Dawn of the Dead will be 53 years old...and as of right now, it's hard for me to think of very many quotes from ANY movie that old or older--except for a few iconic lines...and (outside of the horror freak community, and the deadhead community in particular) not too many "normal" folks would put the original Dawn in that category.

Hell, most of the general public tend to lump all zombie flicks together, and most also associate canisters and brain-eating with zombies as much as they do the "shoot 'em in the head" angle.

The Dawn remake was pretty successful, and ushered in a whole new fan base with its new take on the ghouls....whether the GAR die-hards want to admit it or not. In fact, if it (and a couple of other remakes) hadn't been as successful as it was, we probably wouldn't have had Land of the Dead.

And, if it gets its own sequel...GAR's shamblers might be shoved out of the spotlight for good in the eyes of the general public as to what a zombie should be--except for the conservatives posting here, that is.

In 25 years...maybe the Gunn/Snyder series will be up in line for remakes, and maybe there'll be an outpouring of hate from THEIR fans because their runners will be replaced by the shamblers of old?

Undisclosed
    I'm not talking about the general public, but it'll be a cold day in hell before they tell me what's good or not. For example, have you heard what they consider punk music these days? It's an utter joke. The general public are blind to the world, but we'll save that can of worms for another discussion. Whether it be one quote or ten, what's the difference? I'm willing to bet the original Dawn's quotes will be around for a long, long time. As for "Yawn 04", a bunch of Eli Roth sounding quotes are anything but memorable to me. I wouldn't have as big of a problem with that flick if it wasn't called Dawn of the Dead. But yes, like Romero said, atleast it helped get Land funded.

Don't speak too soon, Mortis.

By then, the original Dawn of the Dead will be 53 years old...and as of right now, it's hard for me to think of very many quotes from ANY movie that old or older--except for a few iconic lines...and (outside of the horror freak community, and the deadhead community in particular) not too many "normal" folks would put the original Dawn in that category.

Hell, most of the general public tend to lump all zombie flicks together, and most also associate canisters and brain-eating with zombies as much as they do the "shoot 'em in the head" angle.

The Dawn remake was pretty successful, and ushered in a whole new fan base with its new take on the ghouls....whether the GAR die-hards want to admit it or not. In fact, if it (and a couple of other remakes) hadn't been as successful as it was, we probably wouldn't have had Land of the Dead.

And, if it gets its own sequel...GAR's shamblers might be shoved out of the spotlight for good in the eyes of the general public as to what a zombie should be--except for the conservatives posting here, that is.

In 25 years...maybe the Gunn/Snyder series will be up in line for remakes, and maybe there'll be an outpouring of hate from THEIR fans because their runners will be replaced by the shamblers of old?

Banned User

United States
    We'll just have to wait and see.

But, personally...I see alot of parallels between the stuff going on in the horror genre as a whole now with the stuff that happened back in the day, when GAR and Carpenter and the boys replaced the stuffy "classics" of olde with their new material--right down to the more "conservative" fans' reactions to that new stuff.

United Kingdom
    I'm probably of the youngest members of this site, my first zombie influence was Resident Evil, and the whole idea of zombies in general grew on me from there, I asked my mum to record Zombie Flesh Eaters when I was 10 years old, it scared the Hell out of me right from the start...

Anyway, what I'm saying is is that I never grew up with GARs' movies so my love of zombies stemmed from just a love of a zombies, so I can enjoy the original, the remake, and pretty much any other take on the zombie genre.

I personally don't see how you can hate the remake as much as some of you do anyway.

For one thing it's not a bad film in general.

Yeah it took Dawns' name, but it was a similar setting, basic storyline and it was a remake of course. Get over it.

Yeah, it wasn't directed by George Romero, not every zombie film is, get over it.

Yeah it had running zombies, but a true fan of the genre should respect that any fictional being can be tweaked to the preference of the purveyor.

George Romero really kicked off the zombie genre. But to have it re-invented in such a great way really kicked it off again.

Yeah, you may not like the film that much but to express so much hate towards it really suggest some form of fanboyism.

All in all...

I love the original, I love the remake. I can't see why some of you just can't accept both as two seperate films, of course it's your right to be able to prefer one to the other but there is no need to bash it just because it's not what you wanted.

Banned User

United States
    That was an excellent reply, Craig...and it echoes alot of what I've been saying.

It's not a personal insult to GAR if someone likes the remake. It doesn't mean they think the original is crap, just because they enjoyed the new flick. And, it's not putting the original down if someone says that the remake trumped the original in alot of ways.

Why can't someone be a fan of both?

Undisclosed
    I can't reply to Craig's post because it's obvious that some people like movies that others hate, so I'll leave it at that.

As for someone liking both movies, yes, it's possible. On the other hand, people should be allowed to despise one and like the other, too. I like plenty of other zombie flicks, and horror films in general, so it's not like I'm on GAR's nuts so hard that I can't like anything he didn't direct.

Why can't someone be a fan of both?

Banned User

United States
    Yeah, but one of the points I've been trying to make is that alot of people around here despise the remake simply because it EXISTS. Simply because it's not a GAR. Simply because it too that concept and screenplay and changed it...added to it...even surpassed the original in some ways.

Those reasons, to me at least, aren't good enough.

Most of us got into the zombie genre the same way Craig did--because of the flicks. Not because of who made them or who didn't make them.

Why can't the merit of the flicks be enough?

ViP

United States
    alot of people around here despise the remake simply because it EXISTS. Simply because it's not a GAR. Simply because it too that concept and screenplay and changed it
    Yes, these people need a reality check. If you give me a valid reason, fine. But don't just hate it because it is a remake, non-Romero, or basically non-what-you-want-it-to-be. I was very suprised to see the angry tones in reaction to the remake, as if maturity was disregarded. I'm talking about grown ass men too, not 14 year old genuises like Craig!