Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Armor in Zombie Outbreaks

Undisclosed
    [QUOTE=Wooley]http://www.military.com/soldiertech/...soldiertech.nl

"Who said tank guns were useless? A 120mm shotgun shell would put a lot of hurt on whatever was downrange.

As far as the whole 'Military Kicking Zombie Ass' thing, let's look at history here-During the 1906 San Fransisco earthquake and fire, Mayor Eugene Smitz dithered with the decision to let the Army dynamite firebreaks in order to starve the fire. His dilema was one, he'd be blowing up homes and property of his rich buddies, two, he wasn't sure he had the authority to do so, and three, he was wondering if doing it would open the city up to being sued. While he pondered these questions, more and more of the city burned, until such time as he made the decision to go for it.

The lession to take here is, by the time the full might of the military would be unleashed, it'd be too late to save much of anything. "

Just finished reading a most excellent book on the San Fran earthquake of 1906 (The Great Earthquake and Firestorms of 1906 by Philip L. Fradkin). The problem was not dithering but the art of demolition itself. What delay there was in implimenting the plan to create a series of firebreaks, very little when it came to blowing up buildings in the poorer districts, particularly China Town which the city planners hated, the solution actually contributed to the fires.
    Both military and fire teams had little expertise in this type of demolition, and they largely used a combination of black powder and a low grade of explosives used by miners to open tunnels. This miscalculation resulted in hot debris being carried aloof to untouched structures.
    Additionally, they also accidently destroyed some warehouses where flammable materials were stored.
    Eventually suitable devices were implimented, but the damage was already done.

Wayne Z

United States
    I was never one for believing the military will kick ass and take zombie names right from the get-go. They'll run into the same problems everyone else would and thats how to effectively combat and destroy them. But I do think the military has the hardware, manpower and discipline to survive as a working entity than the police, fire and emergency departments.
    "I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you."
    --- Batman

United States
    I fly military aircraft for a living, and I can tell you that it takes a lot of man hours of maintenance to keep them safely in the air. You would not believe the number of daily, weekly, monthly and yearly maintenance checks required. Fueling and de-fueling trucks must always be on hand. A qualified maintenance team (numbering in the hundreds depending on the aircraft) must be at the ready to troubleshoot that pesky master caution light that wont go out prior to take off.

An airforce gunship requires a lot of maintenance to keep in airborne. The airframe is older than some of your parents. The aircraft I flew in the desert rolled off the line in the early stages of Nam.

Now when it comes to warthogs, you may get 20 flight hours before needing HEAVY maintenance to the engines and avionics.

If it flies, it wont last long in the PAW without big time support from maintenance person.
    Author of Day by Day Armageddon

JLBourne.com

Canada
    i hate to say it but all scenarios are bs as zombies arent on one side and military is on the other. it guerilla warfare at it finest. for some parts the military would break down and so would local police. things would run good for awhile until both resources and mental health started breaking down.

look at the la riots and how fast the police lost that situation. and this is just one part of a urban city.
    it wont only be the zombies u have to fight but also the mass hysteria of the genral public, both being just as deadly .

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    As someone who knows very little about arms and armor(apparently I'm the only one) I don't understand why tank treads would break from running over zombies, aren't they made of thick metal?