Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Miguel A Fool?

United States

Is Miguel A Fool?

After watching Day again, I found myself wondering why Miguel wasn't shot in the first 2 seconds of the film.

Yes, I know he's the resident screwup, but the ONE scene that stands out to me, is when he let the zombies into the complex.

It is supposed to be some kind of "powerful moment", or some crap, but the sheer stupidity of this action defies all logic. Exactly WHAT was that idiot attempting to accomplish by this?!

Every other time a character does something ridiculous, it can be attributed to something. But Miguel's "sacrifice (oh, boo-hoo)" made no sense whatsoever. If he wanted to croak, there are easier ways. I just can't see any reason for helping the dead invade the complex, and eat all his comrades (including his woman).

Am I alone in this? Or do others find themselves watching this scene and going, "WTF?!" too?

Christmas Island
    I think the guy cracked up. He felt overwhelmed by circumstances outside, oppression by his fellow soldiers (justified or not some of it was racially motivated), and a sense of rebuke by the civilian survivors. I think these things made him turn psychotic and, in his mind, he probably saw visions of everyone regarding his body (after popping himself) with the same contempt they felt for him while he was alive. So one reason for letting the dead in could be revenge triggered by his psychosis. But why allow himself to be devoured by the dead? This still mystifies me especially in light of being bitten in the arm. After the bite he knew how painful it would be to be killed by these things and perversely I think that's what attracted him to that end. Maybe as atonement for his weaknesses or maybe so he could become what he was so afraid of. Prolonged periods of fear can do strange things to the mind.

Anyway that's all I can think of for my quack diagnosis on this guy.

BTW does anyone know where Miguel stayed around the complex after Sarah kicked him out? I don't think he went back to the soldiers. Did he sleep in a crate?
    Last edited by MaximusIncredulous; 10-Nov-2007 at 01:57 AM.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    to be honest, i woulda shot him as soon as he stepped off the chopper at the beginning
    Last edited by acealive1; 10-Nov-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Undisclosed
    The only 2 things I can come up with.

1. He went too far over the edge and decided to kill everyone. Kind of like a certain zombie comic book.

NOTLD: London book 2 The priest goes over the edge at the end and opens the gate. He kills himself along with the entire British royal family.

2. He over heard what was going on. And decided since his friends were as good as dead, he would get back at Rhodes and company.

United States
    He went bonkers, nutso, spoon in his ass crazy.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    spoon in his ass crazy.
    Possible Quote of the Year candidate.

Chasing Prey

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Possible Quote of the Year candidate.

United States
    thank you thank you, I'd like to thank the academy.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    He went bonkers, nutso, spoon in his ass crazy.
    Ha ha, why is a "spoon in the ass" considered crazy and not some other kitchen utensil? I think "ice cream scoop in the ass crazy" would be way off the hook, yo.

Miguel was not only insane at the end, but it was in his insanity that he finally took definitive action. Kind of ironic when you consider that his character could do nothing right throughout the rest of the film.

United States
    yeah, wtf, miguel? you're the only dude who's gettin' any female lovin, yet you are the whiniest little b!tch in the complex...

this always bothered me. he should be the happiest guy there, since he's the only one getting laid anymore.

Super Moderator

United States
    Nah, he was clearly unstable and several factors, like the inevitable doom he felt hanging over their heads, led him to act in an irrational, indeed, insane manner.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 10-Nov-2007 at 10:57 AM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Norway
    He wanted them all to die as painfully as possible. He was not compleatly crazy he was evil.

United States
    Day was filled with overtones of humans cracking under pressure. Dr. Logan, Rhodes, and Miguel all exhibit behaviors that are psychotic to some level. Prior to being bitten I didn't feel like Miguel's behavior was any worse than the others. Even Sarah was popping pills to keep it together.

After being bitten the man suffered from high fever which often results in delusional perception. And they knew it. Remember that John was supposed to be keeping an eye on him at the time he went off.

I also saw some religious and nihilistic shades to Miguel's actions. Perhaps in his twisted mental state he saw his actions as cleansing the human race in favor of the new species. It appeared to me he was offering himself for judgement.

Or if that's looking too deep for ya, there's always spoon in the ass... In any case I thought it worked well enough to be realistic, fool or not.

United States
    Probably all of us at one time or another had to deal with a guy like Miguel. Vindictive little whiny pissants. I spit on Miguel. His "suicide" at the end was just a further demonstration of how selfish and unlikable he was probably before and certainly after the ghoul bit him.

As for the racial overtones - I view that as a figment of his quite unlikable character. If he was unlikable and chubby, they would have called him fat-ass. If he was unlikable and bald, maybe baldy, or hairless dog, no-hair retard or whatever. Not that the fellow soldiers were nice or balanced mind you, I am certainly not defending their foul treatment of him or the use of the racial epithets, but I think that you are what you make of yourself. And being a little whiny pissant of any race, color or creed will certainly not make you one of the cool kids, and will not help you make friends.

His stupidity and lameness nearly got Rickles killed. And his inattention got himself chomped. Ain't Karma a bitch? So, woe is me, I am going to bring down the machine with me! Pathetic and lame.

And on top of it all, the Professor is right! He was the only one with a steady girl in the whole complex, and hell, maybe the whole world at that time. So unless she was a real sea hag and drove him to be such a butt-head (clearly not the case) he had more reasons to be happy than anyone around him.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    And on top of it all, the Professor is right! He was the only one with a steady girl in the whole complex, and hell, maybe the whole world at that time. So unless she was a real sea hag and drove him to be such a butt-head (clearly not the case) he had more reasons to be happy than anyone around him.
    There's one chick left on the face of the known earth and you guys think she wouldn't be a complete pain in the ass?

The real world would like a word with you.