Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Film or Video?

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Film or Video?

I need some advice on what to do about which type of filming medium I should use: Standard film or digital video?

Obviously most independent, small film makers use digital video cameras or camcorders to make their films. Unfortunately, regardless of the quality of the material, to me the films don't look quite right because they have that "home movie" look that theatrical films have. I feel it automatically takes me out of the believability of the film's atmosphere.

I used to think that film had to go through a special process in the studio to make it look like a theatrical film does, but now I know that the nature of 8mm, 16mm and 35mm film grain makes it look like a movie (and also the speed it's played at helps too). Trouble is...movie cameras that use regular film are really hard to find, and most people resort to using cheaper and easier digital cameras for their no/low-budget productions.

Now, this brings me to my question - what would be better: Buy or rent a regular film camera and film my movie, then take it to a shop to get it processed into digital so I can then edit it on my computer...

OR

Get one of the newer expensive HD film cameras (like the Canon XLS series) and film on that and try to find ways in post to trick the eye into thinking it was filmed on regular film?

Does anybody have any experience with high-quality film production that could offer some advice as to which route I should take? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    in a week or two ill be using sony blu-ray film cameras as the "run of the mill" cameras in my moving image degree so i'll give my view on that, though i kinda like the picture off my canon mini dv camcorder, its not movie quality but its got a nice little grain thats not quite movie but not "americas funniest home videos" crappy that i like.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    They have Blu-Ray cameras? Good lord! Well, I'd definitely be interested in hearing what those are like, even if I don't explore Blu-Ray for my project.

Undisclosed
    Frankly, avoid HD cameras until technology has fully caught up to them. Over the last year I have used a variety of filming techniques and cameras, and I say digital video is the way to go. The DVX 100B is a great camera, and gives an awesome look with 24fps on. And if you really want to kick it up a notch, fit a 35mm lens onto the DVX and you get some pretty primo looking stuff.

Sure HD is fine and dandy, but the P2 cards for the HVX 100s are useless, only holding about 3 mins of footage. And even that aside, the amount of room required on a computer hard drive to edit an HD film is nuts. And you can only have HD footage play on HD dvd's...which only play on HD players. Unless of course you convert the footage to standard definition and then burn it to a regular DVD.

So in conclusion, Digital video is the way to go. Film is great to shoot on to say that you've done it, and granted it does look good. But it is far more cost effective to shoot on digital.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    i agree the only downside to em is real time transfer, but aside form taht ill take em over hd anyday.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm not convinced about indie level HD yet, and it's far from industry standard or consumer standard so...

Besides, the DVX100B is spunk worthy. I love my DVX.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    when i get a job and some scratch thats the kind im after.

...and a better tripod, ive used mine so much the threads for the adjustments have gone so itwont actually...i dunno tripod anymore.

Super Moderator

UK
    lol "it won't tripod anymore"

I've got a Libec, it cost something like £175. Solid bit of kit, mate. Quick & easy to use, simple design - boshty-as-fook.

Viva la DVX100B! *spoodges*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    well mine was a quid off eBay and lasted 2 years so i guess it was good 'fer't price.

Undisclosed
    Good lord, this topic could really go on and on - and I think that most people's feelings about the DVX100 are justified - it is a great, great camera. (However, people are down on HD and I have to disagree. Of course, I'm not working with HD at no budget - I've used it to direct shorts for VH1 and have the support to work with them - but they look far superior to the DVX - but this is was the Sony Cinealta - we're talkikng about a $40,000 camera - so, in the long rung, doesn't really help you I suppose)

If I was running a home operation, I would too get the DVX100B - if you wanted to outfit yourself with a great camera and you could post on your home computer, then having Mini DV is going to be a great option. Also think about upgrading the HVX - while yes, the p2 cards are problematic, you can swap live (seen it done) and that works great. Also, you can be HD ready and the cards are going to get better. Most Macintosh computers now handle HD video, so you'll be set go move forward.

Okay. Good luck. I think you'll base most of your choices on cost - and I bet you could Ebay some good prices for DVX100B.

pJ
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Italy
    forget HD

if you are looking for that film quality look, HD just accentuates the fact that it's not film because of it's incredible crisp sterility. unless you have the money for a cinealta or a varicam, get a proven SD cam like the DVX or XL/GL2. All three are sturdy chunks of indie goodness. Not to mention you wont need 5 TB of hard drive space to edit your two minute opening scene

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by 7734 View Post
    forget HD

if you are looking for that film quality look, HD just accentuates the fact that it's not film because of it's incredible crisp sterility. unless you have the money for a cinealta or a varicam, get a proven SD cam like the DVX or XL/GL2. All three are sturdy chunks of indie goodness. Not to mention you wont need 5 TB of hard drive space to edit your two minute opening scene
    I'll take this opportunity to once again drool over the DVX100B - it's simply the best.

Italy
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'll take this opportunity to once again drool over the DVX100B
    your pad must be a wet, sticky place.
    MOP UP THAT DROOL!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by 7734 View Post
    your pad must be a wet, sticky place.
    MOP UP THAT DROOL!
    It's a veritable swimming hole, my friend...and the DVX has it's own inflatable chair to float around on.

Italy
    i've been hearing really good things about the HVX (a few locals have it), but the DVX is definitely on my Xmas list.

still though... I think canon's frame mode makes good action sequences.